ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Wed Oct 21, 2020 2:20 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 11-87 Broken Forend Support
PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 10:36 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Was cleaning my 11-87 last night and when I removed the trigger group a little piece fell out, turns out that it was one of the little tabs that had broken off of the Forend Support. It is still attached to the bars and sliding normally and has one tab against the Mag Tube. I will of course order a new one but was wondering if it is OK to shoot the gun in this condition? I have shot probably a dozen rounds of trap since last removing the trigger group and the gun hasn't malfunctioned, would be hard to believe that it broke on the last shot. My gun is a 12ga and about 2 yrs old, is the one for the 1100 and 11-87 the same part.
Thanks, Bill

Post subject: Re: 11-87 Broken Forend Support
PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 11:12 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Same part on 11-87 and 1100. First one of those I have heard of breaking in many, many moons. $5.85 from Remington. The first generation ones were two piece and spot welded together, and the spot welds tended to break. I would think you would be okay to shoot the gun as long as you weren't too rough handling the forend since the 20 gauges don't even utilize a support. The original 1100s didn't have reinforced wood fore ends and cracked fairly easily, but they have been reinforced with fiberglas for decades now.

Post subject: Re: 11-87 Broken Forend Support
PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 11:35 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

thanks for the quick reply