CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:17 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Annie Oakley
PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 12:36 am 
Crown Grade

Any of you trap shooters ever play a game called Annie Oakley? I played it this weekend and it was the first I ever heard of it. The other shooters dubbed the game this name. It became addicting quickly :lol: . 20 shooters stood to the left of the trap thrower, and going down the line, the closest to the trap machine would start. He would call for it, and if he hit the clay, the next guy would be up. If he missed and the next guy broke it, the initial shooter would be out. The wind was blowing when we were shooting, so the clays were flying high and it wasn't rare for 3 guys to shoot and miss and the 4th guy hitting it and eliminating the other 3. Some of the shooters were better than others :D

1911, Remington, and Beretta Enthusiast

Post subject: Re: Annie Oakley
PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 8:59 am 
Crown Grade

It has been a standard "entertainment", in this area, since well before I started shooting trap in 1970.

Usually as an event in a meat shoot.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 2:11 pm 
Crown Grade

Annies are one of my favorite games. We line up on the 27yd line to start, then move back to the fence (35yds +) when it gets whittled down to the last 5 or 6 shooters.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 2:49 pm 
Crown Grade

a lot of fun, need to get some hot shells to play annie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 5:16 pm 
Presentation Grade

Never cared for Annies. When a 4th or 5th shooter puts the previous guys out it falls under the Act-of-God category. Not much of a skill show place, just a lot of luck most times.

The biggest draw to meat/money shoots in my part of the country is what is termed a "Blue Bird." BBs are shot from the 27 yardline (sometimes further) and consists of a two-man team. The first gunner shoots and his teammate backs him up if he misses. If the first gunner hits the bird, however, the second one tries to hit a piece of the broken target. Each shooter gets a chance to be the lead man from each post (all 5 trap spots) so there's a maximum of 20 points possible.

You'd think hitting a piece of broken target would be a lucky occurance but some teams are quite, quite, good. It's not uncommon to see a seasoned team shoot in the 14-16 points category and most times it takes a 13 to win.

Everybody uses an XF choke but shell choices vary widely. I'd say 1 1/4oz. of 7.5s is most common among handloaders but some of the oldtimers like 5s & 6s. The boys who shoot factory loads use premium trap rounds with Remington STS heavy golds leading the way.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 12:22 am 
Tournament Grade

really enjoy this game there is a lot of luck involved but there is also quite a bit of skill. it has been a while since i have played it.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 8:48 am 
Crown Grade

For the unskilled, luck does play a major part.
In all the games...including Annies, trap, skeet, sporting, etc.....if you don't miss you won't be beaten.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:17 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

dfm wrote:
Never cared for Annies. When a 4th or 5th shooter puts the previous guys out it falls under the Act-of-God category. Not much of a skill show place, just a lot of luck most times.

Sounds like you haven't had much luck shooting Annies :) :)

I'd say "luck" has something to do with it but if you don't practice shooting targets that are decending you don't do well at Annies.

I'm not the best Annie shooter but this summer I shot in one and ended up in 2nd place. I went thru a box and a half of shells :shock: The eventual winner and I were back beyond the fence, in the parking lot and later estimated we were around 40 yards from the traphouse. :o I personally eliminated 9 others including my mentor/instructor :) ...It was a blast (pun intended) Your BB games sounds interesting.

Happy shooting...........................................Levi

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:06 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

There's no point in over analyzing these games. They exist to change things up a bit. They are for fun and you must go at them with that attitude.

We will be having a Buddy Shoot in a couple of weeks. Some people call it a Protection shoot. This game is out of my mormal league because it's shot from the 27 yard line, but I usually win at it. No, I'm not the top winner, but I win a game or two. I can't explain it.

Still, it's fun and I like doing it. I wish we did more stuff like this.

“Endeavor to clear your mind of can't.” - Francis P. Church

Col 4:6
Hate the ads? Become a Bonus Member, click here.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 5:30 pm 
Diamond Grade

I help instruct the shotgun sports program for the county 4-H program and also help with some area FFA kids in the shotgun sports of sporting clays and trap.

The kids really really like to play Annie Oakley.

Sometimes we (instructors) play with them. They love it when they get one of us out.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 6:41 pm 
Crown Grade

Bust'em wrote:
a lot of fun, need to get some hot shells to play annie

For the shooter new to this game, allow me to share some of my own secrets to being a successful Annie shooter:
First shooter: your favorite standard handicap load
Second shooter: approx. 1300fps, 1 1/4oz of #8 or #7 1/2
Third shooter and beyond:
Medium MV, heavy payload (at least 1 1/4oz...I prefer 1 3/8oz), larger shot than standard trap loads (I like 6's, copper-plated and buffered, if possible), coupled with the tightest choke that will pattern the above load uniformly (I have settled on .040" constriction).

Those are my secrets, along with lots of shooting; find a place that holds these games and participate all you can.

The secret to Chip Shoots/Colorado's: do not fail to shoot at a chip, some chip, any chip. You can't put a guy out if you don't take the shot. Then practice.

The secret to Protection/Buddy Shoots: pick a good partner. :)
(Shooting Annie's will help you succeed in Protections.)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 8:01 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

code5coupe wrote:
Second shooter: approx. 1300fps, 1 1/4oz of #8 or #7 1/2
Third shooter and beyond:
Medium MV, heavy payload (at least 1 1/4oz...I prefer 1 3/8oz), larger shot than standard trap loads (I like 6's, copper-plated and buffered, if possible), coupled with the tightest choke that will pattern the above load uniformly (I have settled on .040" constriction).

All of these loads are not allowed at my range. #7 1/2 shot traveling at 1290FPS is the legal limit. I'm not saying that there aren't guys using bigger (no one has ever been checked that I know of), I'm just saying that they're not allowed.

Besides, making a special load for games like this kinda takes the fun out of it for me. We play these games to enjoy ourselves. Win or lose it's just fun to play. There's no money on the line and even if there were, it's not enough to get concerned about.

Enter and play and have fun. That's my secret to games like this.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 1:56 am 
Crown Grade

I Had my first dosage last weekend. I was at my cousin's place which is a cool place set back with some acreage which we hunt. I was sighting in my slug gun and doing a little bow hunting. He tells me were going to a bachelor party at one of his friends. I'm a younger guy and was pumped to see how it was going to go down. Not my first rodeo tho :lol: ...I had brought my 390 with me which I only decided to at the last minute. My cousin told me we were shooting trap so I got really excited to see how we would do against some other shooters with some rep. The party was at a huge farm with a really really nice house and had a fully man cave pull barn. It was just an awesome place. The guy getting married had his own club trap thrower, and there were probably 35 guys there all shooting. Everyone was shooting walmart cheapos and other equivalents...no one with any high brass so it was a pretty even competition. My cousin and I honestly went through our ammo stash in a matter of minutes just warming up. One of the guys announced that they were playing Annie Oakley next so we had to pony up some more ammo. We did, and I watched how the game was played. We went in on the second game and out of 25 or 30 shooters all lined up, I made it to the finals and this older guy smoked me. I shoulda had him tho. I lost on my mistake. It was a great time and I hope to do it soon again. I'm glad some guys here enjoy it as much as I do.

UMH

1911, Remington, and Beretta Enthusiast

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:30 am 
Crown Grade

Rastoff wrote:
All of these loads are not allowed at my range. #7 1/2 shot traveling at 1290FPS is the legal limit. I'm not saying that there aren't guys using bigger (no one has ever been checked that I know of), I'm just saying that they're not allowed.
They aren't technically allowed at some of the ranges I shoot at either, but the serious games shooters shoot them and no one ever says anything. After all, it is to the ATA what the World of Outlaws is to sprint racing. :D
Besides, making a special load for games like this kinda takes the fun out of it for me. We play these games to enjoy ourselves. Win or lose it's just fun to play. There's no money on the line and even if there were, it's not enough to get concerned about.
Enter and play and have fun. That's my secret to games like this.
We each have our priorities. When I shoot, I shoot to win. Taking home the money is icing on the cake. For me, it's fun to play, it's more fun to win. That's my position, anyway. YRMV. Besides, if you just like playing, the winner plays longer than just about anyone! He who plays the most/longest, is the winner! How fun is it to get knocked out on your second shot?

The group I shoot with is free to shoot any loads they want, and some of them devoted years to developing their pet Annie loads. With these guys, games ARE a competition! ...and the purpose of competing is to win. For that reason, you may not like shooting with this group, but I sure do. :wink:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 9:26 am 
Field Grade

I played it in Idaho this past August. It was a blast. The version we played had only three shooters at a time, and there was no changing of chokes or loads. We had two groups of about 20 people. Each group played five rounds, then the winners of the rounds combined to face off (7 winners, with some guys having won more than once). It all came down to two guys who played to a stalemate for so long that there was a threat of running out of shells. One guy was an experienced trap shooter and hunter, shooting with a Browning O/U. The other guy was a 21 year old kid who had never shot a gun before using a Browning automatic. His dad (also one of the finalists, but eliminated by his son) said he was a fanatic at video shooting games. The kid's strategy was to never shoot early, so that he could only be eliminated if his opponent hit a very long shot. The experienced guy tended to hit quickly. The experienced guy finally won. Don't know what this all says about the level of skill being tested. But it sure was fun to do and watch.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 10:48 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

We shot one yesterday. One game went until there were two guys left and they weren't missing. Eventually they were standing at about the 37 yard line and still it took 5 shots to finally get one of them to miss and the other break. We would have had to move some cars out of the way if they moved back any further.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 7:21 pm 
Limited Edition

I love those games, It is fun just to knock guys out.