CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:37 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Looking for a used Semi-auto shotgun? Already own rem 870.
PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 4:12 pm 
Utility Grade

Hey all,
First post here on shotgun world, but I have been an avid reader these past few months...
Went trap shooting with my girlfriend and her dad a while back and fell in love with the sport.
After a few months I bought a relatively inexpensive Remington 870 express pump action 12 guage...I really enjoy using this gun--but I can't help comparing it to shooting automatics--which I have really liked (a barretta and a remington). I am a poor college student but would be willing to spend around $500 for a really nice used semi-auto shotgun....I was thinking about the Remington 1100 12 or 20 guage, with a 28 barrel?? But if you all have any other suggestions with this price range I would really appreciate it....moreover, I have considered going to a gun show for this--is this a good idea--or cabellas has a nice selection of used guns...Also, as a disclaimer--I am certainly aware of the fit of the gun and how it should be allinged with how it fits me....and yes price is a concern...for now at least.
Eventually I would like to use the gun for upland/small game as well as trap in the great state of wisconsin!
Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Looking for a used Semi-auto shotgun? Already own rem 870.
PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 3:43 pm 
Tournament Grade

First off, welcome to SGW!
You made an excellent decision by choosing the 870 Express. Keep in mind that this gun will do everything you are asking your future semi-automatic to do. And, that's a good thing!
Now, since you asked for suggestions about a new semi auto, I would say that you are on the right track in your way of thinking. However, I would suggest looking at the Remington 11-87 Sportsman. The main difference between the 1100 & 11-87 is that the 11-87 has a 3" chamber and the 1100 is only chambered for 2 3/4" ammo. Since you are thinking about hunting, I figured a choice of gun allowing you greater flexibility in ammo selection would be something for you to think about.
As for the choice of gauge 12 or 20. I would go with the 12 simply for the fact that 12 gauge ammo is less expensive than 20.
Lastly, regarding purchase prices the 1100 MSRP is about $400 higher than a new 11-87. So, you should be able to find some excellent deals on 11-87 Sportsmans for right around the $500 mark.

Keep us up-to-date on what you decide!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 4:43 pm 
Utility Grade

Hey thanks for your suggestion! Yeah, I was considering the 11-87 as an option too...and since it is in the price range, that is even better...thanks for your input, I really appreciate it!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 9:43 pm 
Presentation Grade

I have to agree, 1100 or 11-87. There are tons of used ones out there to pick from.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 8:28 pm 
Presentation Grade

I have to agree with the 1187 or Mossberg 930. I have both and both have been great guns for the money. I find the 930 has not had a failure to cycle when trap shooting with light loads where as the 1187 will not eject at times. My wife has a 930 also and it has never failed to cycle. Either one would be a good choice for a limited budget.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 8:34 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

You might also look at a Berreta 390. A friend of mine has one and we ran a box of 2 3/4 dram gun clubs through it and it cycled every one. I've found used 20ga 1100's arround here for about $450.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 12:43 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Go get your self the 1187 Sportsman the other guy was talking about....if you shoot it "Wet" you will have no failure to cycle issues when shooting trap or skeet.....AND it will feel almost the same (other than weight) as the 870 you like......there is a reason the 1100/1187 family of autos have sold in the Millions :!: .....and for the same reason the 870 has just gone over 10 millions.....consider those guns and do yourself a favor......Art