CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:09 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Shotgun barrel storage
PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 11:10 am 
Field Grade

I am looking for ideas for building OR buying something to store extra shotgun barrels when not in use. I have found myself in pocession of about a dozen or so 11-87/1100 barrels that my son and I use for various different purposes. Right now they are just each in gun sleeves taking up space in my safe. SO…..I figured there might be some clever way of storing them other than just throwing them in the safe or closet. I have moderate wood working skills but no creative skills. Any pictures or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Post subject: Re: Shotgun barrel storage
PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 11:58 am 
Field Grade

If they're not used often, I came across this solution that may help:
Storage Rust Preventative
http://www.frfrogspad.com/homemade.htm#Rust

note: this link takes you to the middle of the webpage. You can scroll up for more info.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 12:22 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I have some in the boxes the barrels come in, and some in those triangular Post Office shipping "tubes". I see getting more tubes as time goes by to preserve the boxes from handling. I do not try to seal the boxes. I don't keep them in the safe, but on top of it. I spray them with Rem-Oil (used WD-40 for 25 years), wipe them down, and put them in the box. I have never had any hint of a problem from coastal North Carolina, to Ontario, Canada, to Southwest Ohio. The safe was in the den, so the boxes were relegated to a top shelf in the laundry room in NC.
An acquaintance uses pieces of PVC pipe with a glued cap on one end and just slips the other one on, and he puts silica gel packets inside. That is also an excellent way to ship them and avoid damage.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 12:37 pm 
Crown Grade

I would imagine that cardboard tubes - either the type you use for mailing, or the type that hold blueprints, will work, especially with the plastic end cap, throw in a small dessicant package in each and label the end - you can store them almost anywhere. A small wooden box, or even one of those under-the-bed storage containers could work

"Support our troops; we'll need them to overthrow our government"

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 4:18 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

A slightly different take, if you want them where you can get to 'em quick. How about a nice, wooden fishing rod rack or pool cue rack. Run a CLP patch through the bores, run a Rigs Rag over the exteriors, and I'd think they'd be decently protected. On the other hand, there's dust. Maybe the blueprint tubes, and you could use something like a milk crate or the similar college-kid version from the Wally to hold those. Just free-associating here, so feel free to ignore.