CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Sun Oct 26, 2014 4:28 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Choke Tube Selection
PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 8:26 pm 
Field Grade

If you had to get new chokes for a browning citori 12 gauge with invector chokes, not invector plus, what company would you recommend? I would like a looser choke, light modified, skeet, improved cylinder, cyclinder and so on. which chokes pattern best? will be used for sporting clays, maybe skeet sometime. extended or flush and why?

Post subject: Re: Choke Tube Selection
PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 8:33 pm 
Crown Grade

What you need to do first, is to measure the bore diameter,with a bore gauge,otherwise you are just
guessing!I have used Wrights chokes,they performed well.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 8:55 pm 
Field Grade

why would i need to do that?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 9:07 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

browning16 wrote:
If you had to get new chokes for a browning citori 12 gauge with invector chokes, not invector plus, what company would you recommend? I would like a looser choke, light modified, skeet, improved cylinder, cyclinder and so on. which chokes pattern best? will be used for sporting clays, maybe skeet sometime. extended or flush and why?

You're going to have to start patterning: http://randywakeman.com/Shotgun%20Shells_and_Shotgun_Chokes_like_Laurel_and_%20Hardy.htm.

The individual shell means a lot. There is no choke tube I know of that compensates for a poor shell.

You don't necessarily need much choke for American skeet-- some folks don't think you need any at all. As ranges increase and the targets become smaller (edge on, quartering, midi and mini clays, etc., etc.) you need more pattern density.

http://randywakeman.com

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 10:04 pm 
Presentation Grade

As for suggested brands, Carlson's, Trulock, and Briley were the first ones that came to my mind.

If you plan on changing chokes frequently, extended ones are nice because you don't need to use a choke wrench.

Companies will also tell you that the extra length of extended chokes allows a more gradual restriction that causes less deformation and improves patterns. I don't personally know how much difference that makes, especially when you're talking about more open chokes.

Some extended chokes are ported (have holes in them) that are supposed to reduce recoil or muzzle jump a little. Most people doubt they help much and think that cleaning out the holes isn't worth the trouble.

Post subject: Choke Tube Selection
PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 10:14 pm 
Presentation Grade

I would buy mullers for my browning over under 1000 times over

iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 10:49 pm 
Crown Grade

Browning!
Buy a bunch of factory chokes and test each one for the best patterns you want/need. {hs#
:idea: For the life of me I just can't figure out why folks think they will get better chokes from after-market brands, then what the shotgun factory chokes produce??? :roll:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 11:01 pm 
Presentation Grade

wb wrote:
...For the life of me I just can't figure out why folks think they will get better chokes from after-market brands, then what the shotgun factory chokes produce??? :roll:

From a quality standpoint, I imagine Browning makes good tubes.

However, Browning doesn't seem to offer extended Invector chokes. Also, one of the chokes the OP listed was light modified, and Browning doesn't seem to sell Invector chokes with that designation.

Not saying that people NEED extended chokes or that people NEED light modified chokes, but options are nice, and in many cases, after-market companies have more to offer.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 11:33 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

wb wrote:
Browning!
Buy a bunch of factory chokes and test each one for the best patterns you want/need. {hs#
:idea: For the life of me I just can't figure out why folks think they will get better chokes from after-market brands, then what the shotgun factory chokes produce??? :roll:

If you start patterning, you'll quickly find out. http://randywakeman.com/ImprovingBrowningInvectorPlus.htm. Factory Browning tubes are among the worst.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:59 am 
Presentation Grade

Randy, I found your article interesting, and it made me feel even better about the Trulock Precision Hunter IC choke I use for pheasants (don't worry, I've patterned it myself). However, I would have valued your tests even more if you had included Browning's IC chokes in your tests. In your own words from the article:

Quote:
If anyone believes at this stage of the game that the marking on a factory choke tube actually means something, they couldn't be more wrong. All the advice about "Oh, just use a modified, or just use a full choke" is absurd. Even the advice about using a specific constriction choke is of little help.

Your own tests proved that a choke with .026" restriction patterned tighter than one with .034" restriction, so while Browning's FULL chokes should pattern tighter than Browning's IC chokes, can you make that assumption with 100% certainty. If you follow your own advice, you can't. Just maybe, a Browning MOD or IC choke would have performed better than FULL and been more comparable to the Trulock.

I'm not saying your tests aren't helpful or insightful--and you certainly know more about this stuff than I do--but I think an apples-to-apples (same restriction) comparison would have made the tests even better.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 6:49 am 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

You can't make any assumptions, you have to pattern in a specific gun with a specific choke with a specific shell . . . at the ranges you're going to shoot at. If you don't pattern, you'll never know. Browning factory "Full" chokes have been patterned many, many times.

One specific example was cited right in the article: For a recent magazine assignment, I decided upon a simple question and an equally simple test. In the "battle" between over-bored and hard-chromed and Crio, what factory "full" choke could produce more effective, higher percentage patterns with a quality (the B & P MB Long Range) nickel-plated #5 shotshell? The answer, in this extremely focused and limited test was that a Benelli SBE-II "full" choke beat the pants off of a Maxus Invector Plus "full" choke. It answered no questions on a full or complete basis, certainly not having a sample size large enough to begin to form a conclusion, but it was interesting nevertheless.

If you're using steel or hard no-tox, it is even worse. The factory "Mod" choke is all you can use. It comes with the gun, no reason not to try it, but you are unlikely to get any dense patterns.

If you consider: http://randywakeman.com/Browning_A5_20_Mag_for_Turkey_Orlen_Trulock_and_Federal.htm that's out of a 20 gauge. Using Fed. Heavyweight #7 out of a Browning factory Inv. + 12 gauge, even with more pellets (1-5/8 oz.) no Browning OEM choke has ever come close to those 20 gauge patterns.