CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:56 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Remington 1100 G3
PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:13 pm 
Limited Edition

Remington pulled the plug on the 1100 G3 after a couple of years, because I guess it wasn't a big seller. From the description it seems like a nice gun. I would be interested in opinions and experience that people have had with this gun. Thanks very much.

Post subject: Re: Remington 1100 G3
PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 10:00 am 
Crown Grade

Remington hires some really good people to write those descriptions. :lol:

The money to pay them evidently comes from budget cuts in R&D, Industrial Engineering and Quality Assurance.

The 1100 (a revision of the Sportsman 58) is almost 50 years old. Back then, it was a revolutionary gun, since it was an affordable gas-operated semiauto that actually cycled when you fired it. The first gun in its class that actually worked didn't draw excessive criticism, for obvious reasons.

Since then, guns have come out with better ergonomics, controls, triggers, and gas systems. Remington, however, didn't keep up and doesn't seem able to catch up. Unlike Beretta, they can't even just copy the good features from existing guns (e.g. the Beretta trigger, just like the old Model 12, vs. the AWFUL thing that Remington still puts on its guns).

Remington tried to peddle an obsolete gun, with all its 1950s-era faults, at the same price as a proven, premium design that belongs in this century. They apparently failed.

Those who really want an 1100 can just go get an old one for $200-300, but it seems to me that those who still like the things already have one or more.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 11:19 am 
Crown Grade

NYShooter wrote:
Remington pulled the plug on the 1100 G3 after a couple of years, because I guess it wasn't a big seller. From the description it seems like a nice gun. I would be interested in opinions and experience that people have had with this gun. Thanks very much.

The 1100G3 was essentially a re-packaging of the 3" magnum 11-87. The G3 seemed to flop in the market, perhaps due to its price. Based upon my own experience, a used 11-87 or a new Beretta 3901 Statesman would be a better value.

I would argue that the 1100 was a fresh design in 1963, and still has its merits today, much like other "classics" such as the A5, M12, M37, and M870.

Used Remingtons continue to be strong values in today's market. I've owned about a dozen different Remingtons (some new, some used) and continue to be pleased with each gun. Your mileage may vary.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 2:28 pm 
Limited Edition

That was my thinking as well - basically an 1100 with an 11-87 receiver and a lengthened forcing cone. The o-rings on the 1100 were always problematic and I wonder if they ever fixed that issue on the G3.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 8:22 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Remington haters aside, the G3 was a very nicely done gun. The problem appears to be that there is almost no market these days for a walnut and blued 3" semi auto shotgun, particularly at that price point. The desired image for waterfowling has changed for one thing - dramatically. From a clean shaven Nash Buckingham or Curt Gowdy in a fedora and a tin coat with Bo Whoop, or a Winchester Model 12, to today's unshaven camo-faced fully camo clad Duck Commanders who look like they would be just as comfortable as mercenary snipers, beating Cottonmouths off themselves with their Benellis. And, I think it has to be one of the latest Benellis, and "this year's" camo - an 'old' SBE and universal camo simply won't do. Seriously, I think it is a huge thing to be perceived as "the" proper waterfowler, especially by young people. I was probably exactly the same way at that age, it's just that the definition of what's what has changed a lot. I am not saying that's wrong, just that it is. If I had been looking for a new shotgun the G3 would have been it, but I already have five 1100s and a bunch of barrels, with no plastic or camo in sight, and enough is enough. And I am way past worrying about looking the part, I just like a blued and walnut gun that works and fits me.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 9:29 pm 
Crown Grade

NYShooter wrote:
The o-rings on the 1100 were always problematic

!5,000+ rounds and counting on my 1100 Classic Trap, with the original O ring it came with in Dec, 2005.

In the 1990's, my wife's 1100TA, bought used in 1988, went around 30,000 rounds, I changed the O ring as a precaution.

One of our club members bought an 1100 Sporting about two years ago, he shoots 100 shells/week and doesn't miss many weekends at the club, he hasn't replaced the O ring, either.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 11:02 pm 
Crown Grade

Quote:
The problem appears to be that there is almost no market these days for a walnut and blued 3" semi auto shotgun, particularly at that price point.

LOL

I'm sure that's the excuse Remington's management gives, too. There's just no market for such a gun.

But that bit of information would be a surprise to the other companies selling walnut and blued 3" semi auto shotguns for more than Remington tried to charge for the G3, and to clay shooters and upland hunters everywhere.

You must be suggesting that the management at Browning, Beretta, Weatherby, Mossberg, and Winchester are all completely stoned, because every one of these companies has introduced new models of 3" walnut/blue semiautos recently. I'm not buying it. I'm also perfectly capable of seeing what people have at the range and in the field.

Seriously, it's Remington that's failing, here, nobody else.

A close comparison of the guns on the market today will make the reasons perfectly obvious.

Last edited by BarryD on Sun Nov 22, 2009 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 11:53 pm 
Limited Edition

It's interesting that there seems to be a love-hate relationship with the G3, or the 1100 for that matter - not only on this forum, but others as well. Some would buy a G3 in a heartbeat and others wouldn't buy one because they think they have long since been surpassed by better designs. I love my 870, but have never shot a Remington semi-auto and I am on the fence about this gun.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 12:35 am 
Tournament Grade

Remington never made a semi auto. They only made a single shot with spare shells inside ;)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 6:14 pm 
Crown Grade

davemccarthy707 wrote:
Remington never made a semi auto. They only made a single shot with spare shells inside ;)

Say what you want, but my 11-87 Premier 20 gauge almost never fails to cycle no matter which shell I feed it and I hardly ever tear it down and clean the guts.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 3:35 pm 
Field Grade

I've run about 12000 rounds through my 11-87 trap purchased back in 1988 or thereabouts. Then it was in the gun case for 17 years, and just recently activated again (last August) when I started shooting trap again. It has performed perfectly and I've run probably another 1200 shells, both reloads and factory ammo, through it.

A few weeks ago I purchased an 1100 Competition, only because no one seemed to be able to find an 1100 Classic trap and this gun was more readily available. I shot 50 rounds at 16 yds practice and used it yesterday in doubles. It misfired one AA factory load at 16 yards and jammed twice in doubles - not feeding the second round. I took some heat at club from the over and under guys ....

PT

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 6:06 pm 
Crown Grade

Quote:
purchased back in 1988

vs.
Quote:
A few weeks ago

Anyone want to sing?

Oh, the big green R, she ain't what she used to be,
Ain't what she used to be, ain't what she used to be.
The big green R, she ain't what she used to be,
Many long years ago.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 7:51 pm 
Crown Grade

BarryD wrote:
Quote:
purchased back in 1988

vs.
Quote:
A few weeks ago

Anyone want to sing?

Oh, the big green R, she ain't what she used to be,
Ain't what she used to be, ain't what she used to be.
The big green R, she ain't what she used to be,
Many long years ago.

1100 Classic Trap, made Sept. 2005, purchased new, Dec. 2005.

15,000+ rounds and counting, np issues, better finished than my 1976 870TB, which I bought new in Dec. 1976.

I wish my other, recent new gun purchase of another well known brand was as good an experience as buying the 1100CT.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:30 pm 
Crown Grade

Remington is not the same company as it was, even in 2005.

It's been Cerberus since 2007.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:48 pm 
Crown Grade

BarryD wrote:
It's been Cerberus since 2007.

Old news from April 6, 2007.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 10:03 pm 
Crown Grade

Right. So a gun from 2005 isn't really a current Remington. I have an 870 from somewhere between 2001 and 2005 (can't remember) and I've had no trouble with it.

I had an 1100 from 1971 and there was nothing wrong with it. It was just objectively inferior to the gun I replaced it with, in all sorts of little ways that added up to a big deal for field use (excess weight, crude trigger design, rudimentary stock shape, odd trigger reach that didn't match LOP, mediocre gas system, ridiculous spring retainer, poor controls for hunting rough country, etc.).

That wasn't the trap version, which has a better stock, and I didn't want it for the range. At the range, the 1100 controls are really convenient. In the field, with fences to climb and canyons to cross, the Beretta's cutoff and bolt lock, and the ability to easily unload the magazine or leave it loaded at will, are far better. If you really are going to insert and remove the magazine plug, and clean out crud from the field, the 1100 is downright primitive; for range use, you'd never notice.

But I can't say it didn't work. It worked fine. It was just an early autoloader that has been improved upon greatly since then, in many ways that matter to me. Remington just wasn't the company that did the improving, unfortunately.

I sure wouldn't pay good money for a new one, as a field gun, even with the 3" self-adjusting capability of the G3. The other stuff didn't get fixed.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 10:56 pm 
Presentation Grade

For the price of used 1100's and someone starting out I don't think they can be beat.I can't comment on an 1187 but the 1100's I have been around, mine and other close friends, I think they are a bargain in todays market.I use one for trap and throw a red dotted barrel on for deer and call it the deer- trap combo. :mrgreen: If the g-3 doesn't perform I wouldn't be happy either.I've got a spare o-ring and after several barrel changes and couple thousand rounds I haven't unwrapped it.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:39 pm 
Crown Grade

Ceberus is a plague. Anything they touch they destroy. Blood thirsty leaches.

Remington G3 is basically a renamed 11-87 with added cosmetics. See the 11-87 just wasn't ever the flavor of the week. Inside Remington circles there is distinct factions of 1100 fans and 11-87 fans. This gun has dual identities. Most 11-87 fans won't touch it and most 1100 fans wont touch it. That leaves others outside the circle to buy it. Well Remington isn't the most appealing to many anymore. So sales isn't happening. Plus our economy is slow/bad. Weak sales kill. It isn't a cheap firearm boosting it sales and doesn't offer enough for is retail price boosting sales. With complete failures like the Cti105 and now the new M887 they have dug the hole. I suppose we can keep on supporting them with models dating back 6 decades, but somewhere down the road they are going to have to get their collective heads out of their a$$ and start to be "The first in the field" again.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:32 am 
Field Grade

Thanks everybody, that makes me feel really, really good ..... !! Anybody got an "old" 11-87 trap gun for sale? Ha ! :( :D