CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:57 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Metropolitan Arms Shotgun
PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 2:54 pm 
Utility Grade

I am looking for info on a Metropolitan Arms co (age and value) side by side shotgun.
Features are... outside hammers, 30 inch Damascus barrels marked "Belgium Fine Damascus Finish", barrels fully engraved, fully engraged lock and body, fully carved forestock, rear stock carved with lion or wolf with glass eyes, fully engraved trigger guard, "Metropolitan Arms Co" on both sides of gun. Number stamped 10954 may be sn? Quite nice condition. Any information would be appreciated.

Post subject: Re: Metropolitan Arms Shotgun
PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 6:37 pm 
Crown Grade

It was made by Crescent Fire Arms Co. for Siegel Cooper Co of New York City circa 1910 to 1925. Value would run from $50 to $200 depending on condition and what the other guy is willing to pay. There is quite a bit on info on the internet relating to the Siegel Cooper Co.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 6:46 pm 
Diamond Grade

Please be aware that the "Belgium Fine Damascus Finish" may be Faux Damascus http://docs.google.com/Doc?id=dfg2hmx7_302dwsjk9cs

Put your trust in God; but mind to keep your powder dry! Oliver Cromwell

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 2:21 am 
Crown Grade

My friend Albanygun is correct if the gun is a single barrel single shot American made gun marked Metropolitan. He got that information from me. However the correspondent said the gun is a double barrel, outside hammer Belgian made gun marked Metropolitan Arms Co. In that case, the only reference I have is "Marking found on Belgian made hammer double. Maker unknown." Also look for Belgian proof marks on the bottom of the barrels consisting of the letters "ELG" in an oval with a crown over that. I'll guess the gun was made some time between 1880 and 1914 when World War One cut off exports from Belgium. Value? Value will depend on the guns condition, the amount of original finish remaining on the metal and the wood as well as the mechanical condition. Value for a Belgian made double of this period can run from a high of maybe $200 for one that appears to have come out of the factory yesterday afternoon to a low of $10 for a rusty rotten incomplete piece of junk fit only for a tomato stake. Regardless of its condition, remember the gun was designed for the ammunition in use at the time which was either black powder or very early low pressure smokeless powder. It was not designed for more modern high pressure smokeless powder and certainly not three inch magnum shells or steel shot. It has damascus barrels. If you don't know what that means, ask. My recommendation is Don't attempt to shoot it!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 9:32 am 
Crown Grade

Ned, my info came from Side by Sides of the World for Y2K. However, it is also in your book.