CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 6:41 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: old browning A-5 semi auto age/value?
PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 10:47 am 
Utility Grade

My father in law brought out a surrprise. He has a Browning Auto-5 Semi automatic 12 ga. shotgun. Ser# 25861 with the letters OV above the numbers. The numbers are located on the underside of the receiver. It has had only one box of shells fired thru it. There is scroll work on the receiver/chamber area, but not any dogs or stags or things like that. It is in as new condition. The only information I can find from the Browning site is that it was most likely made before 1939. Help. He is not looking to sell it, just to get a value for it for his insurance. Thanks for any help. Jeff

Post subject: Re: old browning A-5 semi auto age/value?
PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 11:04 am 
Utility Grade

Sorry. It is a Magnum, not a light duty. Here is a picture of one like it I found on the web. But his is in MUCH beter condition.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 11:13 am 
Utility Grade

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 1:31 pm 
Crown Grade

The letters OV above the serial number on a Magnum indicate it was built in 1960.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 9:46 pm 
Utility Grade

Interesting. According to the Browning web site, a 1960 shotgun would have either a G (light weight) or M(standard weight) and ser#'s were from 1 to 2000 and 85001 to 99000. And there is no mention of the magnum from 1958 to 1960. Unless the magnum is the Standard weight. And I can't find ANY mention of the letter V at their site. So does this mean it was NOT made in 1960? I don't know. The only thing it tells me is that the Browning web site is sort of lacking in information. But I think he bought the shotgun when he was 21. Born in 31, that would make it 1952ish. But I will double check. Thanks for the help.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 10:22 pm 
Crown Grade

The information posted comes from the Browning Auto-5 Shotguns, The FN Production by H.M. Shirley , Jr and Anthony Vanderlinden and this seems to be a well researched book. The 3 inch magnum started production in 1958. The 12 gauge Lt Wt and 12 gauge Standard use a different model code for those guns. The Lt. Wt. will use the letter G and the Standard will use the letter M while the Magnum uses the letter V.
I agree that the Browning web site could use better information. The last time I checked, there were numerous models of the Citori not listed on the site.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 8:10 pm 
Utility Grade

I did a bit more talking to my Father-in law, and paid attention this time. He DID by the shotgun around 1960-61. So I guess that makes it easy to see that it was built it 1960. And a big thanks to all, we are happy here. Jeff

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 8:30 am 
ID & Value Expert
ID & Value Expert

Albanygun, has it right.

As far as Browning's website, I find it very curious that a company that was absolutely anal about their records cannot give the public correct DOMs on the internet. That area of their website is full of mistakes.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 8:01 pm 
Utility Grade

OK. So we know it was made in 1960, is a Magnum 12 ga. in like new condition. He also bought a new barrel for it so if he wanted to shoot steel shot, he could do it without fear of hurting the old barrel. But he never shot it with the new barrel and only 1 box of shells through the origanl one. Any ball park guesses as to the value? Thanks.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 2:09 am 
ID & Value Expert
ID & Value Expert

Is the new barrel a Browning made by Miroku in Japan with either Invector or Invector-Plus choke tubes with a vent rib? If so, the extra barrel is worth $450, alone. No Belgium barrel is steel shot compatable and fixed choke Japanese barrels are only steel shot compatable if choked more than modified. The barrel could be a Hastings (after market) and they are OK for steel shot, too.

The gun with the Belgium barrel is worth about $700 with a vent ribbed barrel. Subtract about $150 for a plain barrel.

For insurance purposes, I'd insure the gun with both barrels for $1300.