CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 6:53 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: hunting coyotes with a shotgun
PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 3:39 pm 
Tournament Grade

00 buck does not "bounce off" hogs at reasonable distances -- 20-30 yards. I've shot and rolled several in the past year using both 2 3/4" and 3" buck of 00 and 000 size. I shoot them over baited barrels at night at approx. the distances noted above. No problem. Now, you get much further out and you're going to get some wounded animals that run. Hogs are tough...but not indestructable as some novices seem to think. In fact, I more typically use an AR. Head shots with the 5.56/.223 will drop any hog in it's tracks.

If you're calling coyotes in, there is no reason you can't use buck out to 40 yards, maybe a little more. Heck, I've called them in to 10 yards, and 20-30 pretty routinely. Once they firmly decide they've got a meal in the offing, they can get pretty stupid for such a wily animal. BTW, the Federal buck load with their Flight Control cup is a really good longer range round. The Hornady TAP load also works well...for me at least.

Pattern your gun, though, so you know exactly what to expect with what ammo.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 4:06 pm 
Crown Grade

Check out that "Dead Coyote" loads from Hevi-Shot. They sell them in T-shot, and they are pretty expensive. I hear shooters have had good results with them. I personally have not tried them.

UMH

1911, Remington, and Beretta Enthusiast

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 4:11 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I killed a coyote with 1-1/4 of 7-1/2's through a full choke a few weeks ago, so I would think that BB, T or whatever will work fine at reasonable ranges.

NSCA #604835
Click here to see my home club
Click here to see my favorite place to shoot

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 6:02 pm 
Presentation Grade

When calling coyotes, one of us always carrys a shotgun. If it is me (usually is) I carry a 10ga. B's or BB will take a coyote. You are not going to shoot a 100 yards on one to be sure, but if they come a runnin' into you, it is a good thing to have the shotgun.

Hevi-shot works even better than lead of course. Could probably use #2 hevi-shot
(the old real dense stuff, not the watered down variety)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 8:21 pm 
Presentation Grade

A lot of hound coyote hunters use no. 4 buck and that has been the old standby for years.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 8:27 pm 
Utility Grade

I can only speak for the hogs. They do have a cartilage plate but it doesn't have all the magical powers that people attribute to it. My buddy and I stumbled onto a 150ish lb hog while duck hunting...I hit it with a .38+P I had on my belt...it ran and came to a screeching halt when hit with a blast of #2 Hevishot from my buddies Mossberg 935. As we cleaned it I found pieces of the .38's jacket throughout the shoulder and the bullet core on the other side. I hit it above the "plate" but I still don't think the .38 would've hesitated. All in all the shotgun was much more effective. The hunting was in coastal TX near Corpus Christi for what it's worth.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:04 pm 
Tournament Grade

Hello
I've never posted here before but have killed many a coyote with both the shotgun and rifle. I love the classic rifle set up for long range coyote hunting but in the east that tends to not be the case more often than not. Here in Michigan I'd say my average shot doesn't exceed 125 yards, however, where I coyote hunt in Kentucky, Indiana and Illiniois the shots are longer but still average inside of 200 yards. This isn't the west.

In recent years I have gone almost exclusively to the shotgun. It is definately a short range proposition with a realistic effective range of about 50 yards in my experience. Yes, you will find sometimes that you get a little more range but it is kinda like turkey hunting---just because I might kill an occasional long range bird doesn't mean that it is the best practice. Closer is better but hunting at night takes some getting use to as far as target ranging goes.

The old stand shotgun set up used back in the days when fur had some value was a 10 gauge with cooper plated #2 or BB's. If you want some classic reading on 10 gauges and coyotes in the southwest, look up articles and books by Gerry Blair back in the 1980's. He forgot more about coyote killing than the new generation of callers will ever learn.

I've never been a fan of buckshot myself. Eventhough I own both a 10 gauge and 3 1/2" 12 guage I typically only use a single shot 3" 12 gauge at night with "HeviShot" or something heavier than lead in sizes #2 or BB. I find it has enough pattern at 50 yards and there is enough energy to get the job done. I don't think that the bigger shells give me much more of an advantage. I avoid pumps and autoloaders at night as I think they run the risk for a possible dangerous situation. When I pull the trigger on the shotgun at night there is a big, bright flash that momentarily interrupts my vision yet the adrenaline says to keep looking for eyes to shoot at. It can be hard enough to get a good initial visual on a 50 yard target at night let alone something running after the first shot so I now go single shot exclusively.

Good luck and be safe

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 6:02 pm 
Diamond Grade

Predator hunting is pretty hard, never thought that a shotgun would be pastille on the field. That's where you use a .17; take them out at a 300 yards. Take some skill I would imagine for coyote hunting with a shotgun.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 9:31 pm 
Crown Grade

Or .22 Mag. I know a lot of hunters who prefer a .223...call it in close enough, and a shotgun would be fine, especially with that "Dead Coyote" from Hevi Shot.

1911, Remington, and Beretta Enthusiast

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 5:05 am 
Diamond Grade

How sable are those .17?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 10:03 am 
Tournament Grade

Seems like I've used every imaginable rifle on them across lots of varying country from close quarter to way off in the distance. The 17 and 22 rimfires, 17fireball, 221fireball, 204, 222, 223, 22-250, swift, 6mm's, quarter bores, 6.5-284, 7mm's and 30 calibers.

I've only used the rimfires to meet the legal requirement of what can be used here at night when calling and for shooting coyotes that have been trapped. And I gave them up very quickly in favor of the smoothbore when doing the night shift. However, I consider rimfires to have a solid place when we are running dogs. Other than that I'd keep them home or save them for something on the smaller side.

When the goal is to to harvest high grade fur to put on the stretcher, the 22-250 is probably the reigning king. I used it and the swift for years and think pretty highly of both; the capability to reach a long ways can come in handy and you can still kill coyotes at close range. Shotgun doesn't have that versatility. If I was living in more open terrain in a state with a decent coyote population and trying to harvest fur, I would hunt in the day with one of these two rifles. I personally am not a fan of dropping down in size below these two calibers for coyotes. Yep you can get them but they lack the energy if you need to make a long shot and it takes some good shooting to get the job done. These days if I happen to hunt in the day where the terrain is relatively open I use the 243 or 25-06 as our coyotes aren't particularly high dollar and these calibers can get the job done over a much wider range of shooting conditions versus the 22 centerfires.

Don't worry about using the shotgun. It is an awful good tool for close range work. You mention that 125 yards is about maxium range where you are at so you shouldn't be missing too many opportunities beyond 50 yards due to lack of firepower anyway. If they will come to a hundred yards or so they are pretty likely to keep on coming.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 10:49 am 
Limited Edition

Nice piggie, Rich. Hooray for sausage!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 11:34 am 
Field Grade

You may want to check out an after-market choke tube like Patternmaster or Wad Wizard. Google around and you'll probably be impressed with the patterns you see. The wad-grabbing chokes tend to throw very tight patterns with big pellets.

Just a thought. Good hunting!