CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 12:56 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Making a .22 rimfire smoothbore
PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 10:54 am 
Utility Grade

The subject of .22 shotshells came up in another forum and got me to thinking, how hard would it be to convert a .22 rifle into a shotgun? Would it just involve reaming out the rifling in the barrel or would there be more to it? What tools would be needed? Ever hear of anyone trying this?

Post subject: Re: Making a .22 rimfire smoothbore
PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 11:00 am 
Diamond Grade

At this point I would have to ask what the modification would gain you?

http://www.huntingpups.com

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 11:24 am 
Presentation Grade

Why GS?: You'd have a very potent mouse gun!! :wink: Smoothbore 22s were actually made by both Winchester and Remington to name two at one time but the practicality of this has always excaped me. I think there was a form of minature trap/skeet that was popular at one time.
Jim

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 11:33 am 
Utility Grade

What would it gain? I have heard that the smoothbore gives a more even pattern. Also, 22 shotguns are rather scarce so it might be cheaper to have one converted. If these assumptions are wrong, there would be no advantage.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 2:48 pm 
Diamond Grade

You certainly will get a lot better patterns. Think of the rifle 22 barrel as one very long rifled diffuser choke similar to the ones you can buy for a regular shotgun to open your pattern up. I can’t find it on Marlins web site but I know in 2003 they still listed a smooth bore 22WMR bolt action garden gun. I actually held one at the local gander mountain. If I remember correctly it was only about $120. I would think with 22WMR shotshells in a smooth bore you would have a fairly capable shotgun for close range stuff.

mcb

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 9:00 pm 
Presentation Grade

Hey Guys:
You're shooting no 12 shot in a fractional ounce out of a 22 casing. If I'm going to get shot this would be my "load of choice" since if it isn't in the eyes damage would certainly be mininal. In my opinion; the average pellet gun is more lethal that this.
Jim

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2004 3:06 pm 
Presentation Grade

It IS heck on barn rats, without shooting holes in the tin, though. Just be sure to wear your safety glasses.;) If my H&R 999 wasn't getting scarce, nowadays, it would already be bored out to a smooth bore. It actually shouldn't be very complicated to do, and at one time, there was a spring and smooth barrel kit for the 10/22 to make it function as a seni with ratshot for a pest gun. :)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2004 3:24 pm 
Crown Grade

A .22 smoothbore is about 1000% more effective than a rifled barrel when shooting shot loads. The rifled barrel disperses the shot so quickly that the effective range is just a few feet. A smoothbore, on the other hand, will do in a good-sized rat at 10 yards or thereabouts. For something a little more fragile, like a starling, it'll drop them at 25 yards or more. Pigeons are a little tougher, but at about 15 yards, it'll do the job.

When I was a kid, I had a cousin who lived on a farm and had one of the Remington Nylon bolt action smoothbores. We went through many boxes of ".22 birdshot" as it was then called.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2004 3:38 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Here's one if you're feeling a little flush with Tax Refund money.
http://www.gunbroker.com/auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=17750691

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2004 4:43 pm 
Utility Grade

The only rimfire smooth bores I am familiar with are the Model 61 smoothbores.

Rutledge was the first to modify the 61 to smooth bore. I believe the bores were .219 in diameter and it had a .375 counterbore for about the last nine inches of the barrel (not sure about the length of the counterbore).

The Rutledge and some of the early Winchester 22 shots had the top of the action milled like the Model 12 and matted with the squigley line.

Winchester got on the bandwagon and started producing (on a very limited basis) about the same barrel. Later they switched to a 5/16 counter bore with a little longer length about 12 inches ( again not sure about the length). Then they switched to the straight though bore of .219 diameter.

I have seen one 22 mag shot only on the 61. It had a screw on choke stamped modified.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2004 10:02 pm 
Crown Grade

The Savage Model MARK I-GSB Smooth bore.

-single shot
-20.75" barrell
-.22 lr
- $147 price tag

http://www.savagearms.com/markigsb.htm

if i see one of these at a local gun shop, i just might be inclined to get one 8)