CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 4:29 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Browning BPS disassembly with pictures
PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 10:13 pm 
Tournament Grade

Alot of people wanted to see this guide stickied so I created this duplicate post on the browning forum. Thanks for the support guys!

**READ FIRST**
This gun is a BROWNING BPS MICRO 20GA.
I am not a gunsmith, don't try this unless you are willing to face the consequences of your actions.
You can click any of the pictures below to get a larger version (except the first one, its blurry).
If there is a particular step I might have breezed over, let me know. I can always whip it out and take better pictures.

Start by removing pin 1 (Trigger Guard Pin), do not remove pin 2(Carrier Pin) until you remove the trigger assembly and other parts and only if you want to remove the carrier.

This is a picture of the trigger assembly and cartridge stops that can be removed after the Trigger Guard pin is taken out.

The bolt, slide, and forearm below the red line can also be removed after Trigger Guard pin is out, and the Carrier and Carrier pin retainer above the line can be removed after carrier pin is out. Be careful not to lose the Carrier pin retainer as it is quite small.

This is a picture of all of the parts inside the gun. (Thanks Rastoff!)
1= Barrel
2= Receiver
3= Cartridge Stop Left
4= Cartridge Stop Right
5= Trigger Assembly
6= Carrier
7= Slide Lock Release
8= Slide
9= Carrier Pin
10= Trigger Guard Pin
11= Carrier Pin Retainer
12= Bolt
13= Forearm
14= Hammer Pin

Beginning reassembly. Align the Carrier holes with the Carrier pin and push the pin in slightly to hold it in place. Don't put the pin all the way in yet.

I used a needle nose to align the Carrier Retainer with the pin holes and tapped the pin the rest of the way in.

Replace the forearm and pull it all the way back. Drop the bolt between the slide rails with the pin facing the proper direction.

Drop the slide into the gun and make sure the notches on the slide fit into the slide rail.

At this point its a good idea to move the forearm all the way forward. I didn't in the picture by mistake and sliding it forward before putting the trigger assembly back on caused the cartridge stops fall apart on me.

Three things to take note of. #1 points to the hammer pin that will rotate when replacing the trigger assembly, make sure you didn't accidentally flip it over or its a pain in the arse to put the assembly back on. #2 is the pin that attaches the slide lock release, it is able to free slide and will get in your way if it isn't perfectly centered. You can eyeball it and move with your fingers. The release IS removable and will probably fall off when you first remove the trigger assembly. It takes balance to keep the release attached to the assembly when replacing it.

This always takes me a bit to get on right, takes artful wedging and sliding. Once I successfully get the trigger assembly back on, it goes in so smoothly that I feel like its taunting me for struggling with it a few seconds before hand.

Well that was fun. Hope it helps!

Dad - Ruger Red Label
Bro - Winchester Select Field
Wife/Mom - Browning BPS Micro
---------------------
Shoots together, stays together

Last edited by shotgunworld on Wed Dec 09, 2009 12:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Great information.

Post subject: Re: Browning BPS disassembly with pictures
PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 10:18 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Yes, make this a sticky. It's a good one.

“Endeavor to clear your mind of can't.” - Francis P. Church

Col 4:6
Hate the ads? Become a Bonus Member, click here.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 6:35 pm 
Field Grade

Thanks for posting this info. I had disassembled my Browning BPS Stalker Mag and I was having trouble getting it back together. I have a BPS Upland 20 gauge that I have disasembled a couple times and I forgot what a job it can be. Sure makes the Benelli look easy.

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 5:48 pm 
Utility Grade

Thank you very much for posting this. I am a proud owner of a new Browning BPS Hunter series and have been looking around for information on disassembly and reassembly. I have not taken my gun apart entirely because I am afraid I won't be able to put it back together, but I'm sure this will really help. The only thing I ask is if there is any possibility of making a video and posting it on Youtube or another site to go through all the specifics. There are disassembly and reassembly videos for just about every shotgun expect a Browning BPS. If you would do that it would make life so much easier us new Browning shotgun owners. Thank you very much for this post though. I'm sure with time I will be able to take the gun entirely apart and put it back together. If not... I guess that's what gun shops are for. Thanks again.
- Peter

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 8:27 pm 
Utility Grade

What shell size does the BPS take? can it take 2 3/4, 3, and 3 1/2? I am looking for a gun that i can use because I am left handed and I have been told the BPS is great. Any advice?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:33 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

It depends on the BPS you buy. The BPS comes in many gauges and configurations. Check out the Browning site:
http://www.browning.com/products/catalo ... ng-shotgun

“Endeavor to clear your mind of can't.” - Francis P. Church

Col 4:6
Hate the ads? Become a Bonus Member, click here.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:04 am 
Field Grade

peterdiem wrote:
The only thing I ask is if there is any possibility of making a video and posting it on Youtube or another site to go through all the specifics.
- Peter

This video is permanently saved in my favorites.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38XtQDlo ... re=related

Its all fun and games until you try to get the trigger assembly back in. The trick with the knife really works. One other tip. When you pull out the trigger assembly take a digital picture of the position of #1 above. That pin spins around and it needs to be oriented correctly.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:23 pm 
Utility Grade

i can not thank you enough for this post. it was incredibly easy to read and use and works perfectly.

awesome!