All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Straight vs. Pistol Grip Stock
PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 9:07 pm 
Field Grade

In your opinion, pros and cons ?

Post subject: Re: Straight vs. Pistol Grip Stock
PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 9:29 pm 
Diamond Grade

Probably should just look around. This subject is saturated throughout this forum.
Anyway, in short, there is much more control over your shotgun with a traditional buttstock.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 9:35 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

By pistol grip do you mean speedfeedIV/Knox/Mesa or tamer/vindicator/chicken head?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 9:56 pm 
Field Grade

Sorry, I should have been more clear.

Traditional stock vs. Shoulder Stock with vertical,prononced PG, ala an AR-15 or FN FAL, not PG only.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 10:02 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I see. I think the PG stock gives you a little more control over the gun. I like it because I load with my support hand and it's a little easier for that. If you have your SG slung behind you I guess the PG could snag on loose clothing. PG stocks don't work well with a tang safty.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 10:10 pm 
Tournament Grade

i think its a matter of preference. i have both and i prefer the traditional stock. if have the opportunity, give each a try.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 10:36 pm 
Crown Grade

It depends on what you prefer. I personally tend to prefer the pistol grip stock because I find that it helps with recoil and gives me a more positive grip. Also, I find that many conventional stocks are uncomfortable for my wrist, whereas very few pistol grip stocks bother my wrist.
On the other hand, the disadvantage of a pistol grip for me is that the pistol grip can be a large snag hazard. For a pack gun or truck gun, I would tend to prefer one of my conventional stocked guns.
But that's me. Other people can't stand pistol grip stocks. I've heard people complain that pistol grip stocks have more apparent recoil and don't point as easily as a conventional stock.
Three additional points here:
There are two different kinds of pistol grip stocks- inline stocks such as an M4 stock, and stocks with some drop to them, such as the Speedfeed III, IV, and IV-s. I don't have experience with the inline stocks, but some people claim that they transfer more apparent recoil to the shoulder. On the other hand, they are also suppose to reduce muzzle rise for a faster follow up shot, provided you can handle the recoil.
You will probably find that a shorter stock will work better for defensive purposes. Most field guns have a length of pull somewhere around 14". A 12" stock will let you square up to the target, which allows for easier movement. All 3 of my defensive shotguns (1 pistol grip, 2 conventional stocks) have 12-12.5" stocks, and it's way better.
As stated by Jake, Mossbergs just don't get along very well with pistol grips. The tang safety is very difficult to get to reach when the stock is in the way.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 8:36 am 
Field Grade

Only one I've tried is on a vintage Mossberg 500 type gun, with a cheap pistol grip full stock. Didn't work, so I tried some pretty extensive filing, to be able to get to the safety. Still wouldn't work and was running out of stock to remove. Finally ended up putting the original wood stock back on.

The pistol grip meant way too much time to die while I was fumbling & turning gun to hit the safety.

Next time I tear it down I plan to weld an extension on the safety so I can put the pistol grip stock back on, as it was very comfortable [20 ga.] to shoot with.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 9:50 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

kahrshooter wrote:
Sorry, I should have been more clear.

Traditional stock vs. Shoulder Stock with vertical,prononced PG, ala an AR-15 or FN FAL, not PG only.

When I was preparing to attend a Defensive Shotgun Course at Thunder Ranch, I considered buying a new shotgun to take with me. I had seen the traditional stocks with pistol grips, and thought they looked like something I would like.

Gander Mountain had some in stock, so I went there and handled several of them.

Much to my surprise, I just didn't like the "feel" of the stocks. I was glad I hadn't bought one without trying it.

I took standard stocked shotguns to the class and was very glad that I did.

In short.....It is strictly a matter of personal preference, but you really need to try one of each to see which fits you better.

Personally, I believe there is a good reason that shotgun stocks have been without pistol grips for hundreds of years. :wink:

http://www.theboxotruth.com/

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 11:02 am 
Field Grade

I switched from a regular stock to a Knoxx NRS, and I love it. I wouldn't go back to a regular stock now. Seems to be a big matter of personal preference, though, so try both and see which you like.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 12:55 pm 
Field Grade

Apologies, I was thinking of something else when I posted [below] and confused myself, doesn't take much! What I meant to say is that I couldn't reach the slide release, no matter how much material I whittled & filed off the stock. Safety was no problem. So when I tear it down again it's the slide release that will be welded for extension, not the safety!

Only one I've tried is on a vintage Mossberg 500 type gun, with a cheap pistol grip full stock. Didn't work, so I tried some pretty extensive filing, to be able to get to the safety. Still wouldn't work and was running out of stock to remove. Finally ended up putting the original wood stock back on.

The pistol grip meant way too much time to die while I was fumbling & turning gun to hit the safety.

Next time I tear it down I plan to weld an extension on the safety so I can put the pistol grip stock back on, as it was very comfortable [20 ga.] to shoot with.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 8:39 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Personally, I have to have a pistol grip in most cases. It is rare that I can find a regular stock that I can pull the trigger on. If I do, it is usally a rifle. I have yet to find one that I didn't have to do some kind of work on in order to use it. A pistol grip makes that angle much easier.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 10:07 pm 
Field Grade

The pistol grip stock came on my gun when I got it, but he also gave me the original wood. It's a cheapo, only name on it is Black Warrior. Rubberized over hard plastic, 13.5" LOP.

I actually preferred shooting with the PG stock over the wood, except for the slide release issue. Once I weld up the slide release the PG goes back on. Overall, either works fine but the PG seemed to absorb some recoil and have a different feeling of control. Seems a more natural angle for the wrist & hand.