CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:00 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 3 inch vs. 3.5 inch mag. for geese
PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2004 10:31 am 
Has the advent of Hevi Shot in 3 inch shotshells made the 3.5 inch mag. irrelevent, or does it still have a place in waterfowl hunting. Can someone with a better understaning of ballistics shed some light on this subect?

Post subject: Re: 3 inch vs. 3.5 inch mag. for geese
PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2004 11:36 am 
Diamond Grade

3" will get the job done. Three inches with Hevishot ballistically represents the best 12-gauge goose hunters ever had historically (in 2 3/4" shells) and then some and that was with lead shot.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2004 4:15 pm 
I prefer to shoot 3.5" shells. I love my Ulti Mag. The Hevi Shot might be a better shell but the average guy can't afford to buy it.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2004 4:55 pm 
Diamond Grade

Anonymous wrote:
I prefer to shoot 3.5" shells. I love my Ulti Mag. The Hevi Shot might be a better shell but the average guy can't afford to buy it.

Not exactly
For the guy that already has a shotgun, Hevi_Shot is FAR cheaper than going out and buying a 3.5" gun.

The one problem that I have with HS is that everyone wants to produce loads that are to big and to fast. The idea is to kill the goose, not rip it to pieces. For that reason I plan to use a 20ga for all my waterfowling next year.

tom

CH SeventhSun Dog Show Barbie (Barbie)
Elite's Sepia Thunder (Blunder)
Raindancers Chasin A dream SH (Meg)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2004 7:17 pm 
blunder
You got me on that one.
I was just comparing the price on shells not the gun.

That brings up a good point.We complain about the price of ammo and reload to save money BUT we are always looking for new excuses to but a new gun :?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2004 8:29 pm 
Presentation Grade

I just baught a 3.5" for shooting geese. In my area there are way too many hunters to dec geese in that easy so many times I am shooting farther than I should. especially with snow geese. Hard to get 20,000 geese to land in my little spread.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 5:07 am 
Utility Grade

How many different types of Barbie? I'm trying to use Barbie as an example of post-Fordism, does anyone know how many different types of Barbies there are?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 3:22 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

As a labor process post-Fordism can be defined as a flexible production prices based on flexible systems and an appropriately flexible workforce. Its crucial machinery is microelectronics-based information and communications technologies. Post-Fordism is based on the dominance of a flexible and permanently innovative pattern of accumulation. It is based on flexible production, rising incomes for polyvalent skilled workers and the service class and increased profits based on technological and other innovations. Also post-fordist accumulation will be more oriented to world- wide demand, not so much on demand within a state. Post-Fordism is more demand than supply-driven.

It must mean the unfolded length of a hull alone has nothing to do with goose-hunting. :?

http://randywakeman.com

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 8:51 pm 

Both the 3 1/2" steel and more dense material loads achive the same thing. They both add more pellets and energy per pellet. They have their advantages and disadvantages though. The 3 1/2" steel loads do it at a reduced cost and a little more recoil. The morte dense loads do it with a little less recoil but a much higer price.

For some one like myself who goes takes quite a few geese the cost is pretty substantial.

For waterfowling a 3 1/2" gun is more versatile in the blind than the shorter chambered guns. If you loose, forget, or run out of loads and the only ones available in the blind are 3 1/2", you're still in business with a 3 1/2" model. The longer chamber is built to handle higher pressures than the shorter chambers and add an extra margin of safety when using a shorter shell in the longer chambered gun.

There are more 3 1/2" guns and loads available today than in the past. Now that the ammo manufacturers and many hunters have the long shell figured out. I don't see it going anywhere especially, with the lower price of steel loads.

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 2:11 pm 
Crown Grade

I agree with the statement that the HS loads are too heavy & too fast. The heavy stuff retains velocty very well. I reload 1 1/8 oz. #6 HS at about 1250 fps. & it works great on ducks & snows. I go to 1.25 oz. #5 if it is pass shooting or if there are a lot of snows around. These loads can be bought or loaded in 2.75" but I prefer to load them in the 3" case.
I prefer the 10 ga. for geese but shoot a lot of loads that could be shot in a 12 ga. The 1.5 oz. bismuth load works very well in a 10 & the recoil is light, even in the lighter 10 ga. guns. You just can't beat the follow through of a good fitting 10 ga. For those days that they won't decoy & keep their oxygen masks on, I go to #2 & larger shot in 2 oz. loads or more, particularly if the wind is blowing hard. Actually, with shot near the density of lead, a lot of 2.75" 12 ga. guns will do a good job on geese. More depends on how good you are shooting than what you are shooting. The above is just my personal preferance & I am making no attempt to tell anybody what to shoot.
My personal take on the 12 ga. 3.5" is that it works with steel but offers little or no advantage with anything else.

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 3:59 pm 
Crown Grade

I shoot 2-3/4 inch #2 steel for ducks, and 3" #BB steel for geese. Never yet felt under-gunned.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 7:05 am 
Utility Grade

I live and hunt in South Africa, here we have the spurwing and egypt gees. 2 3/4" is the standard shell around here. I shoot with number 3. Never had a proplem, just got to get them closer than 40 yards. What I allso like is that with the smaller loads and pellets, If you dont land a killing shot, the bird wont die later of gun wounds.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 6:12 pm 
Diamond Grade

3.5 The goal is to get them. B4 they take out any more aircraft...

Just musing. However, for Geese if your gun can handle 3.5 use them!

"You will receive power"
Acts 1:8

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:09 am 
ID & Value Expert
ID & Value Expert

Geese over decoys - I shoot an A5 Mag with Hevishot #2 or #4.

Pass shooting geese or swan - I shoot a 10ga 3 1/2" Lancaster or Dakin with #BB Bismuth. Most every pellet passes through the bird at up to 60 yards.

Now, this is expensive ammo (about $4 each for the 10ga) but, if you are on the bird, you will have very little shot to remove and almost no cripples. When we outlawed steel at our club, we lowered our cripple rate by more than 12%.