CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:20 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: dusting wads with mica
PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 7:20 pm 
Utility Grade

typicaly what kind of velocity is gained by dusting wads with mica vs. dry wady?

Post subject: Re: dusting wads with mica
PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 9:58 pm 
Field Grade

about as much as is gained by adding another tenth of a grain of powder

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:17 pm 
Crown Grade

I would think that if there actually was a gain in velocity, it wouldn't be worth the mess and time taken to do it.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:35 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

SilverEagle wrote:
typicaly what kind of velocity is gained by dusting wads with mica vs. dry wady?

Typically, none.

http://randywakeman.com

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 9:22 am 
Utility Grade

If their wasnt a gain in velocity, then would chamber preasure be lowered?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 9:24 am 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

No, not at all.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 6:10 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Randy's right, but the mica does help with another situation. When I was loading Activ hulls, I would get occasional hull separations after five or six reloads if I was using the Activ wads, which seemed to be made of a stickier plastic than normal. After I began dusting the wads with mica, I never had that problem again.

Dan

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 6:21 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

That's one I haven't heard of before.

I don't know what the coefficient of friction is on a typical shotshell wad, but it is very, very low. Adding motor mica or other "wad slick" type gimmick has done nothing across the screens that is meaningful. In one test, average velocity actually went down albeit by an average of only 12 fps.

If you want more velocity with the same shell, using a tighter choke, a longer barrel, or just an extended choke will give you a tad more velocity-- though not enough to matter.

Peak pressure happens inside the shell. Motor Mica would have nothing to do with that. To the extent that a light dusting of the stuff all over the wad adds a tiny bit of weight to the "ejecta," peak pressures would go up-- not down. Again, not enough to matter as a 100 degree day vs. a 70 degree day will give you far higher pressures than the mica treatment.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 8:15 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

It was a surprise to me, too, and not a pleasant one. I had reloaded a bunch of 20-gauge Activ hulls for my then 12-year-old son to use for doves. I set him up in some bushes overlooking a waterhole and could hear him banging away from time to time. After an hour, I went over to check on him and found the ground littered with 20-gauge hulls torn in half. He showed me a dove that was neatly decapitated (must have really centered the beak on that one as it was coming in!). At that point, I gave him some factory shells and took the rest of the reloaded Activs as well as the half-hulls on the ground, which he had never noticed.

Further investigation showed that the interior walls of the hulls were extremely rough, akin to coarse sandpaper. The soft Activ wads apparently had locked into the walls upon firing and took the front half of the hulls down the barrel. Fortunately, none of them stuck halfway. Wads made of harder plastic (Win, Rem, Fed, and CB) had never posed a problem. I acquired some powdered mica and gave the Activ wads a good dusting and reloaded a batch of hulls. No problems surfaced, even though they were the same age as the hulls that had failed.

Just to be safe, I shot the rest of my batch of Activs through break-action guns; my son was shooting a Beretta A303 youth model.

Dan

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 12:04 am 
Field Grade

I get a higher percentage of reusable hulls using mica dust, mostly less petal shearing. I'm using very stiff Sam-1 wads that are abusive to my Federal 3" 20ga and GM 2 3/4" 12ga hulls, but I prefer them for Hevishot reloading. I've tried MM and TPS hulls, but don't like the patterns I get with them.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:11 am 
Field Grade

I have been using MM for years on all my hunting loads, especially those in the Activ casings. Definately eases seating the wad which is a big plus for me.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 5:59 pm 
Presentation Grade

Doesn't mica help cut down plastic fouling in the barrel and choke?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 9:33 am 
Field Grade

Smelly Benelli wrote:
Doesn't mica help cut down plastic fouling in the barrel and choke?

I have never had an issue with plastic fouling and I use the MM on all my hunting loads. Coincidence, I dont know.