CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 7:58 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Auto primer feed for Mec 600 Jr
PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:29 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Anybody using one?
Is it worth the $$$ to purchase and install?
Any operational problems I should know about?

THANKS!

Post subject: Re: Auto primer feed for Mec 600 Jr
PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:36 pm 
Utility Grade

I have one on my 20ga (old style) 600jr and have one on my xmas list for the new 28ga 600jr.
They work great, dare I say perfectly. Well worth the cost as you don't have to fumble with loading the primer. Slight time savings too.
Worth the $40.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:40 pm 
Crown Grade

I use a folded washcloth...drop 10 primer on the cloth. The cloth acts as a cushion making it easy to grab a primer. Complete a shell, grab a primer, drop it in, grab a hull and take off. The Mec 600 is a very simple machine, I'd keep it that way.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 6:06 am 
Diamond Grade

Ductape wrote:
Worth the $40.

+1, that. I put one on my old '70's VersaMEC (s/a/a 600jr) and have put one on my newer ('05) 28ga 600jr., as well. Whatever you decide, best o' success!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 9:06 am 
Field Grade

I have feeds on 3 JR machines, it does not feed the last few primers in the tray, as the number of primers decreases in the tray, the more likely it is that a primer will turn over in the tray.I think that it is better than fat fingers. If you prime as a seperate operation you need to have a dummy in place at the final crimp station to allow the feeder to operate, and if using the same machine to drop you will need to empty the feeder or disable it.Keep the tray and lid squeaky clean, I wipe my trays down with a little silicone.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 4:11 pm 
Limited Edition

lablover1 wrote:
Is it worth the $$$ to purchase and install?

It hasn't been worth it for me.

Set your primers "up" to the right of the loader. Place your container of unloaded shells to the right of that. When you pick up a new empty, pick up a primer between thumb and forefinger and continue moving hand, primer, empty to the left in one motion. Place the primer in the hole, then place the empty in/on the deprimer station. Thos is all done in one motion. Load a box and it will become one motion, unnoticed, and not slowing you down.

Caution - Those not coordinated enough to do this in one motion should order nerf dies for your machine so you won't pinch your fingers. Button flys on your pants would be safer too.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 5:40 pm 
Tournament Grade

Hey folks,

When it comes to metallic progressive machines, I have no interest in adding case feeders and bullet feeders. I like my Hornady LNL AP in its stock condition as I received it in 1997. I seem to be another person when it comes to shotshell machines, however. I have three Hornady 366s, and I have added the spring loaded primer seater and primer cut-off add ons, and I like them very much. The new primer features for the 366s make things easier for me.

Then there is the subject of the auto primer feed for the MEC Junior. Over the years, I think I have bought three or four MEC Juniors, and I added a primer feeder to each of them. As time has passed by, I would buy a MEC Sizemaster to replace a Junior, and each time I sold a Junior, someone was buying a Junior with the deluxe package added. I still have two Sizemasters and one Junior, and I really like the primer feeder on each of them.

Best wishes,
Dave Wile

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 7:03 pm 
Diamond Grade

Used machine came with the auto-feed. It's pretty simple and problem free. I would add one to an existing machine.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 8:18 pm 
Crown Grade

The EZ Prime doubles my output with my two MEC Jr's - definitely worth the few bucks

"Support our troops; we'll need them to overthrow our government"

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 8:41 pm 
Field Grade

I have the old style primer feed on my JR the one where you have to fill the tube with primers and slide the lever to drop a primer. Takes me about 3 minutes to put 50 primers in the tube (lost half the tube somewhere along the line) and your good to go. You can still find them on Ebay every now and then too. Works for me.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 9:08 pm 
Tournament Grade

They work fine. I have one on both my 600's.
It needs minimal setup and if you keep the tray clean they work great.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 1:20 am 
Reloading Expert
Reloading Expert

I just dump about 20 primers in a lid off one of those unbreakable plastic ammo boxes from Midway. (Yes, they will break, sometimes right in the shipping box, brand new!) Sit the lid with primers right next to the press on the right side. Then I just deprime and size the hull, sit the deprimed hull over a primer and push it down just a tad, enough to get the primer to stick in the primer hole, put it in the priming station and continue on. It works pretty automatically for me.

BP

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 10:36 pm 
Tournament Grade

I have one on my JR, works great even though its not set-up to auto drop, I have the chain taken off and when I pull the handle down I give it a tug and I'm ready to go on the prime station. I've done it each way, if I had to choose one over the other, I'd go for the auto prime!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 7:45 am 
Tournament Grade

I just added one to mine after not using one for years, ( I didnt know they existed til I found this thread) and it's been the best 40.00 I've spent thus far.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 11:12 am 
Tournament Grade

Hey folks,

If someone wanted to start out with the smallest amount of cash outlay, I would recommend they buy MEC Junior. It will last more than one lifetime and produce excellent ammo. If that same person could afford a little bit more than the MEC Junior, I would recommend they buy the MEC Sizemaster. While the Junior will last through many generations of users, the Sizemaster is even more robust than the Junior, and the Sizemaster includes the auto primer feed in its cost. The Sizemaster also has a collet sizer instead of a ring sizer like the Junior has, but as far as I am concerned, the collet sizer is no better than a ring sizer.

The one advantage of the Junior is that it is a bit cheaper to get into reloading, and when you do have some extra dough later, you can always add the auto primer feed. To those folks who think everyone should have a progressive press, that simply isn't true. Many folks only shoot a dozen or so boxes a month, and they can reload those on a single stage press in one evening. When you do shoot enough that you want a progressive press, I maintain that most folks will still have a need to keep their single stage press to do the special jobs that are not so easy to do on a progressive press. One will never go wrong by starting with a single stage press.

Best wishes,
Dave Wile

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 11:20 am 
Tournament Grade

Burnt Powder wrote:
I just dump about 20 primers in a lid off one of those unbreakable plastic ammo boxes from Midway. (Yes, they will break, sometimes right in the shipping box, brand new!) Sit the lid with primers right next to the press on the right side. Then I just deprime and size the hull, sit the deprimed hull over a primer and push it down just a tad, enough to get the primer to stick in the primer hole, put it in the priming station and continue on. It works pretty automatically for me.

BP

That's a good tip. I'll have to try that one.

Thanks!!

Dave

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 9:57 am 
Field Grade

In 28g it depends on which shells you reload. The tube for setting the primer is a larger diameter than the original, and as such Remmington shells jam on the tube. You almost need pliers to get them off.

The price for one from MidwayUSA is about $35 on your birthday week. If you are registered with them, they offer a 10-15 % discount on you order for everything, including back orders. They send you an email. When I get it I tell all my friends and we load up on lots of stuff.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 10:52 am 

naval_aviator wrote:
In 28g it depends on which shells you reload. The tube for setting the primer is a larger diameter than the original, and as such Remmington shells jam on the tube. You almost need pliers to get them off.

The price for one from MidwayUSA is about $35 on your birthday week. If you are registered with them, they offer a 10-15 % discount on you order for everything, including back orders. They send you an email. When I get it I tell all my friends and we load up on lots of stuff.

Remington Hulls frequently jam onto the deprime punch also. This is due to a ridge of plastic in the primer hole that is smaller than the punch.

God Bless America<<<< LINK worth clicking