CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:00 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Mec 650, 8567 Grabber, or 9000G?
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2003 11:45 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I want to start reloading my own shells and don't know exactly which reloader I want. I want to get one that I will be completely satisfied with from the start so that I will not be "forced" to upgrade later. I want a good value, but I will pay for a good loader. I am pretty much set on a MEC because of the ease of getting replacement parts and information.

Which one should I go with?

I am a hunter who is just getting into sporting clays.

Edited by: hoover18 at: 4/18/03 9:02:29 am

FitzLaughlyn
(4/18/03 11:53:12 am)
Reply see below post
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
pub125.ezboard.com/fshotg...D=45.topic

You want to read the same topic that I posted below.

Post subject: Re: Mec 650, 8567 Grabber, or 9000G?
PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2003 12:59 am 
I had a 600jr for a long time and finally upgraded to a 8567 grabber. It's fast. About the only difference between the "Grabber" and the 9000G is that the 9000 automatically indexes and ejects the finished round. Other than that they are about the same. The 8567 can be upgraded to a hydraulic model as well with a hydraulic kit (it's expensive as all hell though). All you need to do to go from light trap/sporting clays loads to pheasant blasting field loads is to change the charge bar and powder bushing. It's smoking fast too, and a lot of fun. In about an hour you can load more than you can shoot in a week. The 650 is the same as the Grabber except that it doesn't resize the brass on your hulls. You'll have to get a seperate resizer (pain in the a$$). Resizing is very important and the Grabber does a great job.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2003 1:08 am 
Diamond Grade

That "final" step of ejecting the finished shell, that the 9000G offers is a nice feature, in my opinion! Thats one less thing you need to do yourself, when your in a loading frenzy.. :shock: :D

I have none of the units mentioned, so I can't give you a heads up on one over the other, but the 9000G seems like one of the most popular models talked about these days.. :D

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2003 1:26 am 
Limited Edition

Fitz,
Welcome both to reloading and sporting clays. I am sure you will enjoy both. Based on what you want to do I recommend the 9000G. Almost everyone I know that started with a single stage press has eventually moved up to a progressive press. The reality is that on a single stage press you have to pull the handle 6 times to get one finished shell. With a progressive you will get a finished shell with each pull of the handle. The progressive press is just way faster. I own 2 MEC9000G presses (12ga, 20ga) and have been very happy with them. Two things I would recommend however before you use your new press the first time: 1. Buy a copy of Lyman's Shotshell Reloading Handbook and read it before you start. There is a section in my copy specifically about loading with the 9000G. 2. Find a buddy who already owns a 9000G and get him to come over and help you the first few times. Once you understand the machine it is really pretty simple, but it can be intimidating to a beginner. Also, even though the machine is supposed to come ready to go out of the box, you may have to make some adjustments to get everything to work the way you want. Having someone there to help you learn the adjustments will help greatly. I would have had a much harder time when I started reloading if my dad hadn't been there to help me along.