CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 4:32 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: How to tell choke size?
PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 10:51 am 
Field Grade

I just bought an old Belgium Browning A5 light 12 and don't know the choke, at one time someone told me you could use a dime to check a choke fast but now I can't remember what size choke a dime is suppose to be anymore. Anyone out there heard of this as a fast way to tell a 12 ga. choke size and if so what choke is it.

Post subject: Re: How to tell choke size?
PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 11:23 am 
Diamond Grade

One on the best ways to find what choke your barrel is would be to have the bore read. Either a gunsmith or a machine shop with a bore gauge can do this for you at a reasonable price. have them measure at least 6" down from the muzzle and then at the muzzle. So say the bore is .729 nominal for 12 gauge, then the muzzle reads .759 then you would have a full barrel. You can get on briley's website for the nominal constrictions, like .005 skeet, .010 IC, .015 LM, .020 MOD, and so on. Hopes this helps you out.

-Berettaclayshooter

NSCA # 606314
682 Gold E sporting
687 EELL 20/28 GA
391 Gold sporting
870 wingmaster

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 11:27 am 
Crown Grade

There are two ways to check the choke of your shotgun, neither of which involves a dime. The first, and most accurate way to determine choke is to pattern the gun at 40 yards. 70% in a 30 inch circle at 40 yards is considerec full choke, 65% is Improved Modified, 60% is modified, 50% is Improved Cylinder and 40% is Cylinder bore. Definitions will vary slightly depending on which books you read, but those numbers are close enough for government work.

The second way is to take your gun to someone who has a bore gauge and have the bore proper and the muzzle diameters measured. Subtracting the muzzle diameter from the bore diameter will give you the constriction, which is an indication of what performance might be expected. But, thenyou you'd have to pattern the gun anyway.

By the way, the dime trick is said to go like this. If you can't fit a dime in the muzzle, you have a full choke. If you can fit a dime in the muzzle, you have something looser than full choke. But, Like I said, it is a very unreliable method.

Frank

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 11:33 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I got two words for ya. Choke Guage. Not expencive, Jeffsoutfitters.com

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 12:23 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Of course the type of choke gauge that Jeff's sell is only useful if your bore diameter is a standard 729
I have owned very few guns with a true 729 bore no matter what they may be marked

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 12:30 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Sans,
I am no kind of rocket man so for most uses a little this away or that is no big deal. Id be more concerned if it was a rifle. But it's a shot gun.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 12:34 pm 
Tournament Grade

if you dont have a bore gauge but you have other measuring tools as lets say a micrometer, you can use that, find the bore measurement, find the choke measurement, bore-choke=choke ID (chokes are sized in constriction, not in measurement of the width of the choke)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 12:59 pm 
Field Grade

Thanks for the help, the one I had heard now that I was reminded was if a dime doesn't fit inside its a full, which a dime does not fit but I will take to a gun smith and have it checked out.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 2:31 pm 
Tournament Grade

you barrel if factory should be marked. browning used to use a star system to denote the choke. I can't remember what was what but my sweet 16 is modified with 2 **'s . best bet is to visit a patter board though.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 7:06 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Full choke *____Improved Modified *-_____ Modified **____Improved Cylinder **-____Skeet Boring **S_____Cylinder ***
.............Art

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 7:24 pm 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

I wonder if the post " Browning choke codes.. " down in the Browning forum would be of any use to you?

NAHC Life Member
VA State Shooting Association Life Member
NRA Certified Instructor in Rifle, Pi$tol, and Home Firearm Safety
NSSA Level I Instructor
NSSA Official Referee

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 9:51 am 
Presentation Grade

berettaclayshooter wrote:
One on the best ways to find what choke your barrel is would be to have the bore read. Either a gunsmith or a machine shop with a bore gauge can do this for you at a reasonable price. have them measure at least 6" down from the muzzle and then at the muzzle. So say the bore is .729 nominal for 12 gauge, then the muzzle reads .759 then you would have a full barrel. You can get on briley's website for the nominal constrictions, like .005 skeet, .010 IC, .015 LM, .020 MOD, and so on. Hopes this helps you out.

-Berettaclayshooter

.729 bore with .759 at muzzle would not be a full choke!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 9:58 am 
Crown Grade

Quote:
.729 bore with .759 at muzzle would not be a full choke!

More like the old blunderbuss.......... :mrgreen:

"Support our troops; we'll need them to overthrow our government"

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 7:00 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

:lol: :lol: Uh Yeah...It would be a little better to subtract the .030" from the .729" rather than adding it...but wouldn't full be more like .035" through .039" constriction?.....Art

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 7:26 pm 
Diamond Grade

Yeah I screwed up on that one. My mind is like a steel trap......full of holes.... It always pays to proof read your posts.

-Berettaclayshooter

NSCA # 606314
682 Gold E sporting
687 EELL 20/28 GA
391 Gold sporting
870 wingmaster