CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:53 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: deer liver
PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 4:45 pm 
Tournament Grade

Yesterday I saw a guy with his field dressed deer and the liver was setting on the side of the carcass for him to save. I never even thought of this even though i eat liver and onions all the time. I went back to the gutpile i left and saw that the liver was quite large, but since it had been sitting in the dirt for an hour i left it. Would anyone offer any thoughts on eating whitetail liver and how it compares to beef liver. Thanks.

Post subject: Re: deer liver
PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 5:07 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I'd be too worried about liver flukes to ever consider eating deer liver.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 12:57 pm 
Crown Grade

Mmm, fresh deer liver and onions. Not much better on a cold day after a successful hunt and a couple of whiskies. I find the flavor considerably milder than beef liver. We always cooked it at the camp when one of us made a kill.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 2:07 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

lossking wrote:
Mmm, fresh deer liver and onions. Not much better on a cold day after a successful hunt and a couple of whiskies. I find the flavor considerably milder than beef liver. We always cooked it at the camp when one of us made a kill.

This is as good as it gets. Last year on an elk hunt in western NM my uncle killed a bull opening morning. That night we cooked the tenderloins, liver, and heart. The guys camped next to us were from the Chicago area and had never eaten liver. They tried it and some tenderloin then went back for seconds. They passed the tenderloin and went for more liver! Sliced thin, lightly breaded, excellent.

NSCA #604835
Click here to see my home club
Click here to see my favorite place to shoot

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 9:00 pm 
Crown Grade

drsfmd wrote:
I'd be too worried about liver flukes to ever consider eating deer liver.

Never heard of this. Apparently it is not harmful to eat.Icky maybe, but if you don't like stuff like this you would never eat Halibut, Swordfish and any other number of yummy beasts that host icky things. I would never have guessed you to be the squeamish type.

http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,1607,7-15 ... --,00.html

MWAG

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 6:28 pm 
Tournament Grade

When I started hunting deer some 30 yrs. ago, my Grandpa would always remind me that when I got a deer to save the heart and liver for him. So I would always carry plastic bags with me to put them in.

Although I do not care for beef liver, the deer liver was OK, but I preferred the heart. He always sliced it thin and fryed it.

Now that my Grandpa is gone, I don't mess with saving them. Boy, I miss that.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 9:30 pm 
Tournament Grade

Livers from mature deer (more than one year old) are not the greatest. I really love the livers from the young ones. I have been fortunate enough to harvest (1) button-buck in each of the last few seasons, in addition to many does, with this years weighing 90 lb field dressed. His liver provided (3) great meals. I know there are many hunters out there who become despondent when they "accidently" kill a button buck, but I dont think they would be so sad if they tried the liver. In my opinion, 6 months is the best time to harvest a buck, the venison is good and the liver is great. I wont even shoot a buck that I can see horns on unless they are really worth mounting, and an argument with my wife who is growing protective of our remaining wallspace.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:45 am 
Tournament Grade

First off, it goes with out saying.....you have to like to eat liver.
I fried one up years ago (sliced of course) and it was fine. Some folks like it, some don`t. Try some.. :)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 10:56 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

MMMMMMM deer liver is delicious (of course I'll eat mountain oysters too). It would depend on the outside temps as to wether or not the liver was still good but I'd say you were probably in the clear. I'd have just rinsed it off when I got home.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 3:41 pm 
ID & Value Expert
ID & Value Expert

We always cook up the heart and liver at camp. It is really great with a little dusting of flour and huge red onions and sweet peppers cooked in a huge iron frying pan over the fire.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 8:03 pm 
Presentation Grade

Disected and looked at deer liver under a microscope in college. Never ate liver after that.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:37 pm 
Diamond Grade

slice it, marinade with honey and apple juice, cook, eat.... mmmmmmm

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:50 pm 
Crown Grade

lossking wrote:

Liver and onions is the way we do it. Eat it fresh - don't expect it to be good after freezing it. First things to be eaten here are liver, heart, and tenderloins. Just had that today, in fact...we filled three doe tags yesterday.

Jeremiah

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:29 am 
Tournament Grade

I eat the liver all the time, just slice the fresh liver and if anything is wrong with it you will see it.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:28 pm 
Utility Grade

Try your deer liver with the kidneys and some bacon!

Check that the liver (and any other organs you are going to eat) are free from any abnormality - growths or discolourations.

Thin slice the liver about half inch thick and the kidneys into about thirds, wash and roll in some flour with pepper and salt. Fry the whole lot up lightly and then add some water to make a thick gravy, when the flour / gravy is cooked (on boiling) you have the best, first meal off a deer or caribou. Onions etc can also be added

This is a quickly prepared nutritious meal for camp.

(In 40 plus years of hunting and eating liver and kidneys I have never seen one that was not OK).

Tahrhunter

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 6:00 pm 
Utility Grade

The only time I'll eat liver is off a fresh deer kill. Liver and Onions that way is actually quite tasty. I'll have to try the bacon though, that actually sounds pretty good.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:15 pm 
Field Grade

The heart and liver from our first kill of the season always make it into the dressing(stuffing) on Thanksgiving day. Here in Wisconsin, thanksgiving always falls during the hunting season. Our big thanksgiving feast is always held at deer camp, and we always make sure we have a little meat in the stuffing...excellent stuff!!

Ruger Red Label, Stoeger Condor, Mossberg 500, Mossberg 835.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 12:47 pm 
Tournament Grade

m512 wrote:
Livers from mature deer (more than one year old) are not the greatest. I really love the livers from the young ones. I have been fortunate enough to harvest (1) button-buck in each of the last few seasons, in addition to many does, with this years weighing 90 lb field dressed. His liver provided (3) great meals. I know there are many hunters out there who become despondent when they "accidently" kill a button buck, but I dont think they would be so sad if they tried the liver. In my opinion, 6 months is the best time to harvest a buck, the venison is good and the liver is great. I wont even shoot a buck that I can see horns on unless they are really worth mounting, and an argument with my wife who is growing protective of our remaining wallspace.

+1 on button bucks and does. I have one 11 point white tail and have no desire to have more taxidermy bills unless it exceeds this one. Heart, liver and onions, thin sliced, breaded, fried or casserole with tomatoes and other goodies. Two kinds of deer: good eating and trophies.

Psalm 18:34

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:52 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Ummm, gettin' hungry!

:mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:16 am 
Tournament Grade

I was amazed that some of my hunting buddies, who are Idaho natives, left the hearts and livers in the gut pile. Fresh liver-deer, elk, beef-is the best. The first elk liver i ever had was from a spike bull and still steaming when my BIL brought it into the cabin. It was in the pan before it could cool. That meal is still in the top ten best meals I've ever had.
A few years ago, we had a young buck and a young black bear on the pole and had the liver of both that night. The leftovers came home in my cooler and made the BEST pate'.
I've not, however, found a way to make deer and elk tongues edible.