CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:44 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Mercury Recoil Reducer
PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 6:01 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I was shooting sporting clays yesterday and the pro that was shooting with me said my gun seem to fit me well but was kicking me pretty hard. I really didn't notice the kick that much but he said I may want to look into a mercury recoil reducer in the stock. Maybe it would reduce some of the jerking motion. I shoot a Browning Citori Grand Prix Sporting 12 ga with 30" barrel. The gun is brand new. I was looking for opinions on the mercury recoil reducer. Has anyone used one in a citori? Did it change the balance of the gun? My gun seems a tad bit heavy on the barrels to me now. Will it really reduce the recoil a significant amount? Any other advantages/disadvantages to this situation?

Thanks,

http://www.flintskeetandtrapclub.com

Post subject: Re: Mercury Recoil Reducer
PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 6:08 pm 
Crown Grade

what kinda loads are you shooting ? I like fast 7/8 loads for sporting. adding a mercury recoil reducer in the stock will help balance the gun, but will add more weight. if you are shooting 1250 1 1/8 loads, they're gonna kick.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 6:36 pm 

There is nothing magic about the Mercury do-dad, it just adds that amount of weight to the gun in the recoil calibration. A slug of lead is just as good.
Unless you place the center of the weight at the balance point, yes, it will certainly have an effect on gun balance.

God Bless America<<<< LINK worth clicking

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 7:25 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

Actually, a mercury recoil suppressor DOES have a bit of recoil suppression effect over and above the weight, but as stated, the BIGGEST effect is from the additional weight.

The nice part is that the mercury suppressors are made to fit in the stock bolt holes that are already present in the stock, making their addition quite easy and straight forward.

If your gun feels barrel heavy, adding weight in the stock will make the gun balance further back, and may in fact make it feel more to your liking. Adding weight to the shotgun will indeed decrease felt recoil. Additionally, a good recoil pad of at least 1 inch thickness, goes a long way in reducing felt recoil.

The best recoil tamer is in the ammo you shoot. Heavy loads, heavy recoil, lite loads, lite recoil, also fast loads will increase recoil over standard velocity loads. I find no justification for shooting any load at speeds over 1250 FPS in a 12 ga. gun. You gain nothing but more recoil, which is unwanted.

DLM

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 7:29 pm 
Presentation Grade

I shot a KS-5 Special that gave me some of my best scores, but it also gave me the most punishment of any of my trap guns. I thought it fit me well but just could not ovecome the pounding I was getting. I had a "Dead Mule" merury recoil reducer installed in the stock at the Grand American a few years ago. It did help some, but not enough to make me keep the gun. I would have been better of to have sold it and saved the money.
I'd look at having the gun fitted to me before I'd spend the money on that gizmo.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 7:37 pm 
Crown Grade

Mercury recoil reducer will add more weight in a smaller space. I use one to balance my gun. I like more weight in the stock for sporting clays. (I shot low gun) I pick up the gun to fast and it slow me down.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 7:54 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

If you want to try it before you buy one.You can build one yourself alot cheaper.I have a browning citori xs skeet.What I did was take to 10 gauge shells and filled them with shoot.Wrap something around them just so when you slide them in the stock they will fit tight.It all will work the same way because all you are doing is just adding weight.

Beretta Xtrema 2

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 8:13 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I apologize. I posted this in the wrong forum and just realized it.

thanks for the replies though.

Will 8 ounces of weight in the stock make that much of a difference. (balance or recoil wise) I am not an expert shooter by any means and yesterday is the first time I have shot this citori. The pro was just letting me know what he saw. Of course, he was shooting a krieghoff which is way out of my league. Like I said I didn't notice the kicking really. I shot a hundred rounds and didn't notice any difference than shooting my 391 beretta. I was more curious than anything about the mercury recoil reducer. I had never heard of it. I plan on having a few adjustments made to the gun but I want to shoot it a little more before making any changes.

I shot a 64 on the sporting clays and this is my second time ever shooting sporting clays. The first time was a weekago last sunday. The pro thought I did pretty well being my second time and also shooting a new shotgun. I have no clue, it was just plain fun to me. LOL

BTW, I shoot 1 1/8 ounce at 1200 fps.

http://www.flintskeetandtrapclub.com

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 9:14 pm 
Crown Grade

Forget what you think that you know about barrel length and swing speed.
Others have touched on it, but I will too. The more weight you add in the back of the stock, the father back the balance point of the gun will be between your hands, which making the gun swing faster.

When weighting a gun, you have to play the balancing act. If you like the current speed of the gun swing now, you want to add weight to not only the back of the gun, but the front of the gun as well (read just shoving a recoil reducer/weight in the stock alone is going to make the gun swing much faster) .

Lets say that you gun now swings perfectly for you (not too fast of slow). If you want to add weight to the gun, then you need to do it so that is does not change the balance of the gun. Regarding balance, put tape on the bottom of the receiver, and with your finger, mark where the gun balances now on your finger and mark the point with a line on the tape. Now lets say that you want to add 8oz of weight to the gun. To do this without changing it's swing speed, you would add 4oz in the stock, and another 4oz in front on the barrels. If you evenly weight correctly, the gun will still pivot at the same line on the receiver off your finger.

Now comes the tricky part, by adding weight and although the pivot point is the same as before, a heaver gun means that the gun may swing a tad slower for you. Now all is not lost, since by a bit of testing, and maybe a tad more weight in the butt stock, you can get the swing back for you at the same speed as it was before by adding some more weight in the back of the stock.

As for forward weighting, there are a couple of quick ways, once being a weight that you clamp onto the bottom barrel, while the other is weights that are added onto the middle rib under the hand guards. Really, since the gun is only going to be used for SC, and in 12 gauge alone, I would opt for the under hand guard weights, then use a solid in the butt stock to reballance out the gun (read never know it was weighted looking at it, plus you don't have anything protruding from the barrel that may snag on something).

Not sure how heavy your gun is now, but I would start with the heaviest middle rib barrel weights you can find, then using shot for temp weighting in the butt stock, go out and shoot the gun until you get it swinging to the speed desired. Once you established the desired amount of weights needed in both areas (front and back, and don't over look lighting up the front middle barrel weights if needed as well), Then I would change out the lead shot weight in the rear of the stock to something a bit more solid. Most of the time there is enough room in the stock screw void area to make a weight out of a rod of SS, but if a heaver metal is needed, tungsten will cover such.

Bottom line, weighting is an art form that has to tuned by you through live fire until you have the gun swing just right for you,and not only have you reduced the amount of felt recoil, have smoothed at the swing as well.

And regarding mercury recoil reducers, I hate then with a passion. Granted that they can reduce recoil a tad better than some fixed in the same weight, they do tend to have some sloshing of the mercury around in the container that you may pick up on as you go to swing the gun (I do and the reason that I don't like them).

Same goes for pop stick rear end reduces for me as well to a point with likes and dislikes. IF you are going to install such, make sure that the comb also moves with the butt pad as well (both fixed together). On butt pad movement recoil only systems with a fixed comb to the stock, the comb can rub your check raw in no time at all, or worse since the gun is moving and you may not have a parallel comb, the comb can sucker punch you ever shot.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 12:29 am 
Crown Grade

+1 for getting your gun fit checked....but since you are so new, your mount may not be real consitant yet...gun fit is not as effective without a good solid repeatable gun mount. It is amazing what a pitch adjustment and great pad can do for felt recoil. BTW, even though you say you don't notice the recoil, your brain does! After a while your brain will start to move your head off the gun and just like the recoil now, you won't even notice it happening.

+1 for getting gun back in balance by adding weight to both the front and the rear of the gun. Stuffing the butt alone full of weight can cause the gun to recoil UP into your face even harder....now you need the weight out front to hold the barrels down. It's a touchy feely, me shooty, me likey or not kinda thing. When you get to the Ahhhh, that felt good point....you'll know it's right.