CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 12:05 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Weatherby Orion side by side (made in Spain)
PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 4:51 pm 
Utility Grade

I have found very little about this gun other than Zabala made this gun for weatherby in 2002-2003. I also read it is a quality gun but Zabala was unable to produce the quantity that weatherby wanted therefore they sought out Fausti to produce these guns. The new Weatherby Orion D'italia is made in Italy by fausti and is very identical to the Orion made by Zabala. I have an opportunity to buy this gun used for 899. It is in excellent shape and obviously has been well taken care of.

My question is, is this a good price for this gun and is this a quality gun? Are the Zabala Hermanos shotguns good quality?

I posted this in the opinion forum without any responses so someone suggested posting it here...

thanks

Post subject: Re: Weatherby Orion side by side (made in Spain)
PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 7:50 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Zabala can make a poor gun or a great gun. This is a price point gun that had some serious oversight by Weatherby. I have read that Zabala couldn't produce the quality they wanted at the price they wanted so tried to raise the price when the dollar started to tank, so Weatherby looked elsewhere.

I have never shot one of the ZH Weatherbys, but have looked one over when they came out and believe it is a solid gun. The price you paid isn't a great deal, nor is it a bad deal assuming that it is in excellent condition.

If it fits you and it hits where you shoot, be happy with it.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 7:56 pm 
Utility Grade

I haven't purchased it yet because I wanted to get some info on the gun prior to buying it. A guy traded it in for a duck semi-auto. Currently it is at a local hunting shop. The owner said the gun was used to shoot mostly skeet and never really taken out to hunt. I did read an article saying the gun is quality made but quantity was an issue.

What should i offer the shop for the gun?

thanks for the reply...

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 8:36 pm 
Utility Grade

The same gun but a 20 gauge is on gun broker for 1175. it says abolla is the manufacturer... i need to look at this gun again.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 9:04 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Zabala, Zabala Hermanos, ZH ...... all the same company, just called different things by people.

I read that the price point offered by Weatherby was too low for what they demanded. I, however, cannot confirm this with any links or items to read....just by memory from an article.

Here is the Owners Manual for it:

http://com.weatherby.s3.amazonaws.com/_ ... _spain.pdf

They also made the Tristar Brittany Classic which I believe was very close to the Weatherby at a much cheaper price: See this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=126&t=179640 and this one for sale at Cabelas http://www.cabelas.com/gun-inventory--- ... -lac.shtml (sold for $400) for a couple of hundred dollars less.

I have a Tristar (ZH) 28 ga and have had trigger problems as have others on this forum. I haven't heard of anyone having a problem with the Weatherby, but then again there aren't many of them out there to hear about.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 9:38 pm 
Crown Grade

:D HI, I also read the exact same thing that Mitch has stated in his posts. I also heard that the wood being used by Zabala was not good enough for Weatherby, to plain not enough figure. This being said, Mitch is right as always!

Good luck!!

Greg

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 10:38 pm 
Utility Grade

Never argued that he was wrong... just trying to get info and use message boards as they are intended. I was just stating what i read too... I really appreciate all the replies...

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 11:41 pm 
Crown Grade

:D Hi mski, hope I didn't offend you, I know you didn't take Mitch's posts as wrong. By way of explaination, Mitch is one of the most knowledgable members on this board and his opinions carry a lot of weight with us regulars. His technical experiste with Spanish guns is awsome as is his common sense approach to Spanish doubles. You'll find a well of knowledge here and it is one of the few boards were the members are friendly and will to help with any question without any smart a## comments IMHO this board and the pipe smoking board I also belong to are the best on the net bar none.

Again, sorry for any misunderstanding.

As far as offering the owner, if you can get this gun for 825 to 850, I think you got yourself a good deal.

Good Luck to you and all the best!

Greg

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 11:59 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Thanks Greg for the kind words. I am just one of the many, yourself included, on this board. I believe our composite knowledge and willing to exchange and interchange info makes this board one of the most knowedgeable.

I believe Greg hit the nail on the head about the wood issue. That would definately be one of the limiting factors on cost.

With that said, a Tristar version (lesser wood and all) can be had for much less.

On an aside, I just received a very warm welcome on the "I love my Huglu" forum.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 12:11 am 
Crown Grade

:D Hi Mitch, your welcome. I do think you, Dr David, Roger, Walt and the rest of the gang are the top men in Spanish guns. I thank you all!!

All the best!

Greg

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 7:37 am 
Field Grade

Any of you guys know if the left over weatherby sxs was imported by the bsa name. This what I was told by the gun dealer when I brought it from them :P . I had no trouble with sst yet. And I shoot the gun pretty well. The sxs's are not my main stream' But do enjoy shooting them.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 8:24 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

From what I’ve seen, ZH produced a SxS BLE, SST, cut for choke tubes, and marketed it via Weatherby, Tri-Star, BSA, KBI, Charles Daly, and a host of other importers. The only differences between guns marketed under different names were the style of the stock (American Vs. English) and the amount of ornamentation. These guns were (are?) available in 12, 16, 20, 28 gauge, and .410.

I initially bought a 20 gauge ‘Royal’ from BSA and just loved it. So I picked up a 12 gauge Charles Daly for those I’m-so-stupid-I’m-going-to-stand-out-in-the-pouring-rain-and-shoot-skeet days. And then there was a really good deal or Tri-Star imported 28 and .410 variations...

Solid, relatively inexpensive, guns. They’re heavy by Spanish game gun standards, but that isn’t necessarily bad on those days I’m dumb enough to shoot four rounds of skeet followed by four rounds of trap. I don’t much like ejector guns, or guns with just one trigger, but that doesn’t stop me from shooting these – and enjoying it :D

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:50 pm 
Utility Grade

Thanks for all the info that everyone has shared... I offered $825 for the gun and the dealer accepted it. I put some money down on it tonight and i'll pick it up later this month. I must be nuts because i just bought a new Browning Silver Hunter Lightning semi-auto a couple months ago but this gun is a double... lol

I'll post some pics when i get it...

thanks a lot,

Mike

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:05 pm 
Utility Grade

I had purchased on of the Zabala made shotguns in 2004, nothing but problems. Misfires, when you opened it it sounded like it was crushing gravel and you had to open it over your knee. I have heard of others that were decent shotguns, I guess I just got a lemon. Kudos to Weatherby, they stood by the product and made it right.