CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:37 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Mossberg 835 Do I have to use 3.5 inch slugs??
PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:20 pm 
Utility Grade

Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:26 pm
Posts: 16
Hello all,
This is my first time on here. Great site, alot of info on here! \
My question is: I just bought a new Mossberg 835 waterfowl/deer combo over the weekend. The deer barrel is rifled. I'm alittle confused about what size slug shells to use in the slug barrel. I read on another site that you "have" to use a 3.5 inch slug in the 835 not a 2 3/4 or a 3 inch. Because of the jump in the chamber from the 2 3/4 or 3 inch shells when shooting a 3.5 inch gun
Is this true? I do know that the 3.5 slugs are pricey and I would like to use the 3 inch if all possible. I'm not sure how available the 3.5 inch would be. Did I buy a gun that I can only shoot the 3.5 in? Thanks and I hope to learn alot on here.




Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Mossberg 835 Do I have to use 3.5 inch slugs??
PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:23 pm 
Crown Grade
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 21, 2006 11:08 pm
Posts: 3429
Location: Hudson River...NY/NJ
mossyman835,

FYI...The moderators were alerted to your creation of the another new account last the moment you created it.

JC


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Mossberg 835 Do I have to use 3.5 inch slugs??
PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:36 pm 
Crown Grade
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 21, 2006 11:08 pm
Posts: 3429
Location: Hudson River...NY/NJ
Of course, if by any chance you are not actually the same person that registered an account to discuss Mossberg 835's and 3.5" shells, only minutes after a thread written by the user named "Mossyman 835" about "3.5" shells" was locked in the very same forum. ......I apologize completely.

Hopefully you will understand the concern.

Thanks,
JC


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Mossberg 835 Do I have to use 3.5 inch slugs??
PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 2:22 pm 
Diamond Grade

Joined: Mon Jan 15, 2007 1:54 pm
Posts: 1423
Sewerdude wrote:
Hello all,
This is my first time on here. Great site, alot of info on here! \
My question is: I just bought a new Mossberg 835 waterfowl/deer combo over the weekend. The deer barrel is rifled. I'm alittle confused about what size slug shells to use in the slug barrel. I read on another site that you "have" to use a 3.5 inch slug in the 835 not a 2 3/4 or a 3 inch. Because of the jump in the chamber from the 2 3/4 or 3 inch shells when shooting a 3.5 inch gun
Is this true? I do know that the 3.5 slugs are pricey and I would like to use the 3 inch if all possible. I'm not sure how available the 3.5 inch would be. Did I buy a gun that I can only shoot the 3.5 in? Thanks and I hope to learn alot on here.




I don't own an 835 but as the barrel is market 2 3/4, 3, 3 1/2 on the side I would imagine it's "safe" to use all of those sized slug in that gun.

Will they be accurate? Like all slug guns, each will prefer certain loads so I obviously can't answer that question.

I did notice that you had several responses on "another forum" from the staff and general members. Hopefully, those responses or another member here can help you.

Sorry I wasn't able to be of anymore help to you and best of luck.

Jim


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Mossberg 835 Do I have to use 3.5 inch slugs??
PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 2:38 pm 
Crown Grade
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 21, 2006 11:08 pm
Posts: 3429
Location: Hudson River...NY/NJ
Sewerdude,

After seeing one of your other posts on another forum I am member of it...It does appear that the timing of your post last night was completely by chance, (I suggest you might want to consider playing the lottery soon if that is somehting you do..lol). As explained above the moderators were involved with several topics at the time one of which was directly related to the question you asked.

Again, if you have no involvement, I apologize and hope you understand the concern.

JC


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Mossberg 835 Do I have to use 3.5 inch slugs??
PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 3:16 pm 
Crown Grade
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 21, 2006 11:08 pm
Posts: 3429
Location: Hudson River...NY/NJ
Thanks for the PM JT. Just returned it...As I mentioned welcome to the forum!

JC


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Mossberg 835 Do I have to use 3.5 inch slugs??
PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 3:16 pm 
Utility Grade

Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:26 pm
Posts: 16
I just got a PM from a Mod telling me of the trouble with this mossey835 guy.....I'm not him! I'm new on here and just started getting into shotguns again after years of muzzleloading.Which I still use, but decided to try my hand at shotgun slugging.
As far as the winning the lottery, I'll save my money............I cant even win a dollar on a scratch off ticket,lol
Jeff


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Mossberg 835 Do I have to use 3.5 inch slugs??
PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 3:21 pm 
Crown Grade
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 21, 2006 11:08 pm
Posts: 3429
Location: Hudson River...NY/NJ
Sewerdude wrote:
I'm new on here and just started getting into shotguns again after years of muzzleloading.Which I still use, but decided to try my hand at shotgun slugging.

Jeff


Jeff,

As soon as I saw that you knew Cayuga from hntng.net in the past, I knew things were fine....lol. Cayuga has been a moderator on ModernMZ with me for years!

JC


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Mossberg 835 Do I have to use 3.5 inch slugs??
PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 3:31 pm 
Utility Grade

Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:26 pm
Posts: 16
Ok, now that we have got that cleared up,lol............I guess my main worry about using a 2 3/4 inch or 3 inch in the 3.5 inch chamber is accuracy. I know there will be a gap in there if I use a 2 3/4 inch slug. I do know that slugs arent cheap and I didnt want to have to spend alot of cash on different slugs to see what was accurate and wasnt. As I said before, I'm kinda new to this shotgun sluggin.
Jeff


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Mossberg 835 Do I have to use 3.5 inch slugs??
PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 3:39 pm 
Crown Grade
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 21, 2006 11:08 pm
Posts: 3429
Location: Hudson River...NY/NJ
Jeff,

I would recomend at least considering the Lightfield 3.5" if you can get easily ahold of some. (I must state that I personally have no experience with them though.)

JC

Lightfield Commander IDS Plus Controlled Expansion Saboted Shotgun
12ga 3-1/2 in 1-3/8 oz / 600 gr 1890 ft/sec
http://www.tarhunt.com/Store/category.aspx?cid=115


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Mossberg 835 Do I have to use 3.5 inch slugs??
PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 4:13 pm 
Presentation Grade

Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2004 4:03 pm
Posts: 976
Location: Ohio
The only one I know with the same gun swore by plain old Remmington sluggers. I always wondered how he dealt with barrel leading, but killed many nuisance deer with it. Standard "foster" style slugs are very soft and will lead up a rifled barrel pretty quick.

I have never heard anybody talking about specific problems with the free bore, left by shooting 2.75" shells in it, but it would seem that using full bore slugs instead of discarding sabots would be the way to go.

I think Lightfield is the only company loading a 3.5" slug though.

_________________
Proudly graded D- http://www.stategunlaws.org/


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Mossberg 835 Do I have to use 3.5 inch slugs??
PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 4:49 pm 
Presentation Grade

Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2009 4:19 am
Posts: 625
Many of us here shoot 2 3/4" shells in 3" chambers. As far as safety goes, you have nothing to worry about.

The gap from the shell to the rifling could theoretically cause accuracy problems, but I am not aware of any data that supports this. It is hard to say what level of sensitivity your accuracy will have to the rifling gap compared to other factors. You might find that 2 3/4" shells are the most accurate for you simply because they recoil less, despite the gap!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Mossberg 835 Do I have to use 3.5 inch slugs??
PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:00 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Joined: Wed Mar 17, 2004 10:29 pm
Posts: 1416
Location: Outside of Ann Arbor, Mi.
'Lightfield Commander IDS Plus Controlled Expansion Saboted Shotgun
12ga 3-1/2 in 1-3/8 oz / 600 gr 1890 ft/sec"


I have fired the 'normal IDS' and it WILL give you a wake up call when you touch it off.
I can appreciate the extra thump that a 3-1/2" may give you. Have at it. I hope the slug gun
is not too light.

Good Luck !


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Mossberg 835 Do I have to use 3.5 inch slugs??
PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 6:42 pm 
Field Grade

Joined: Sun Dec 13, 2009 4:23 pm
Posts: 98
Sewerdude wrote:
I just got a PM from a Mod telling me of the trouble with this mossey835 guy.....I'm not him!


This guy knows when to use the "shift key" and has much better grammar. :lol:

Are you mainly focused on commercial stuff or interested in playing around with loading at all?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Mossberg 835 Do I have to use 3.5 inch slugs??
PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:46 pm 
Utility Grade

Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:26 pm
Posts: 16
pods8 wrote:
Sewerdude wrote:
I just got a PM from a Mod telling me of the trouble with this mossey835 guy.....I'm not him!


This guy knows when to use the "shift key" and has much better grammar. :lol:

Are you mainly focused on commercial stuff or interested in playing around with loading at all?



LOL...............I'll be buying commercial slugs...........I dont have any idea which slugs are good or bad. Any ideas????


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Mossberg 835 Do I have to use 3.5 inch slugs??
PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:11 pm 
Field Grade

Joined: Sun Dec 13, 2009 4:23 pm
Posts: 98
Sewerdude wrote:
LOL...............I'll be buying commercial slugs...........I dont have any idea which slugs are good or bad. Any ideas????


Sorry I'm just jumping into this myself (going to do some of my own loading though). However I'd have some interest in trying out dixie slugs full bore 3" slugs if I wasn't going to load some (full bore slug but not made of soft lead like many foster slugs). Take that for what its worth from a new guy perspective.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Mossberg 835 Do I have to use 3.5 inch slugs??
PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:26 pm 
Utility Grade

Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:26 pm
Posts: 16
I'll be buying sabots....since its a rifled barrel.....Not sure which ones


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Mossberg 835 Do I have to use 3.5 inch slugs??
PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:42 pm 
Diamond Grade
User avatar

Joined: Sun Dec 05, 2004 12:23 pm
Posts: 1472
Location: deleted
I don't own a gun capable of shooting 3.5 inch ammo, doubt I ever will.
There isn't a thing I can't do with 3 inch ammo, or for that matter 2 3/4 inch does 98% of my shooting.
As for slug I've learned from actual shooting the 3 inch kick like the devil and are generally much LESS accurate than the garden variety 2 3/4 inch fodder.
When rifled tubes came out I learned the same lessons, more expense for more recoil and less accuracy.
Personally I get better accuracy from the full bore sabots like the Hammerhead, Hastings and others of that type.
I shoot a Mossberg 500 and Remington Express, both 12 bores, both wear scopes, both have catalever mount set ups.
Both shoot 3 to 4 inches at 120 yards (as far as my range goes) and that is certainly enough to take bambi through the chest if you shoot straight.
After 120 yards all the full bore sabot slugs drop like a rock.
Making a 200 yard shot with that kind of slug is either a lot of practice, knowing your gun and ammo intamately, or pure danged luck.
Some of both helps too.
I'd start with the Hammerhead and hastings type first, Remingtons similar round is also good.
All slugs 1 ounce and more are going to kick hard so why punish yourself with 3.5 inch brutes that will not extend you range an inch nor kill deader than dead.
That was my nickels worth.
How about a follow up post on what your gun does, how it performs with what ammo?
We'd all like to know; that's why we come here.

_________________
A firearm is a tool. Your weapon is between your ears! Use THAT ONE first.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Mossberg 835 Do I have to use 3.5 inch slugs??
PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:02 am 
Utility Grade

Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:26 pm
Posts: 16
jeager106 wrote:
I don't own a gun capable of shooting 3.5 inch ammo, doubt I ever will.
There isn't a thing I can't do with 3 inch ammo, or for that matter 2 3/4 inch does 98% of my shooting.
As for slug I've learned from actual shooting the 3 inch kick like the devil and are generally much LESS accurate than the garden variety 2 3/4 inch fodder.
When rifled tubes came out I learned the same lessons, more expense for more recoil and less accuracy.
Personally I get better accuracy from the full bore sabots like the Hammerhead, Hastings and others of that type.
I shoot a Mossberg 500 and Remington Express, both 12 bores, both wear scopes, both have catalever mount set ups.
Both shoot 3 to 4 inches at 120 yards (as far as my range goes) and that is certainly enough to take bambi through the chest if you shoot straight.
After 120 yards all the full bore sabot slugs drop like a rock.
Making a 200 yard shot with that kind of slug is either a lot of practice, knowing your gun and ammo intamately, or pure danged luck.
Some of both helps too.
I'd start with the Hammerhead and hastings type first, Remingtons similar round is also good.
All slugs 1 ounce and more are going to kick hard so why punish yourself with 3.5 inch brutes that will not extend you range an inch nor kill deader than dead.
That was my nickels worth.
How about a follow up post on what your gun does, how it performs with what ammo?
We'd all like to know; that's why we come here.


Im not sure I know what you mean by a "full bore sabot"? Is that the same a rifled slug?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Mossberg 835 Do I have to use 3.5 inch slugs??
PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:16 am 
Presentation Grade

Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2009 4:19 am
Posts: 625
He probably meant 'full bore slugs'. Sabots are full bore by definition..sort of.

One that comes to mind and may perform well for you is the Remington Buckhammer. You may experience messy leading. I am not a fan of the Buckhammer recoil, but I would still recommend trying them.




Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Registered users: aaronberls, Aelius, AntelopeTG, Automaan, B-Boy, BakerBB, BGK, Bing [Bot], BOB_HARWELL, brm, bwpkck, casonet, countrygrl10, Crossing shot, dav2287, Dealman, dougers, EdSolomons, eiderz, Eriehunter, GoldenEagle, Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], Grinder, GuideGun, Illini Shooter, ILLINOIS, jaguarxk120, jcbabb, jorau1, jpwheels, KRIEGHOFFK80, llc, lowgun, maierar, Maser, mcscheck, mike orlen, miklm, Moebravo, oldbirdhntr, oneounceload, oregunner, RichardB, riflegunbuilder, Rod B, sawtooth, Shootist59, short stack, ShowMe2, simsy9, slotracer577, SoCalClays, sszz4, stab, Teaguetunaman, templetk333, tennman, TerryS, Tijeras_Slim, Trapperjohn01, TTRACY, uncle-buck, VictorGK, Yahoo [Bot], ysr_racer


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group     -  DMCA Notice