CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 4:30 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: World Challenge Ejector 12 Gauge
PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 4:01 pm 
Field Grade

I have an old "World Challenge Ejector" 12 gauge single shot that I'd like to shoot a little. The bore looks nice, but it's a "Twist" barrel. Can I get low power shells to use? Are the "Low Brass" shells low powered? If these are not acceptable, can I get low power shells anywhere?

Post subject: Re: World Challenge Ejector 12 Gauge
PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 4:42 pm 
Crown Grade

You have a "Trade Brand Name" shotgun. A "Trade Brand Name" shotgun is one made by a major maker for and sold by a wholesaler or retailer who chose the name to go on the gun. Guns with the name World Challanger were made by one of two makers either Andrew Fryberg (1896 to 1910) or Meridian Fire Arms (1905 to 1915) for and were sold by Sears Roebuck & Co. So ,the gun was made sometime between 1896 and 1915.The guns were designed for the ammunition of the day which was either black powder or early low pressure smokeless powder. They were not designed for more modern high pressure smokeless powder and certainly not three inch magnum shells or steel shot. I hesitate to tell you that your gun is safe to shoot without being able to see or examine it. However these old guns can be fired if in good condition with appropriate ammunition. I suggest you take the gun to a competent gunsmith for a check out and he will be able to tell you if the gun is safe to fire and where to find ammo for it.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 5:40 pm 
Field Grade

I appreciate the info. Actually, a gunsmith is the one who told me it is "probably" okay to fire with Low Brass shells, but he "didn't tell me that". I guess, because of possible liabilities these days, he didn't want to say it was actually okay. That's the reason I was asking about low brass, or other lower powered shells. How much difference is there between low brass and high brass shells? I just assumed it was a difference in manufacturers, and never realized there was a power difference.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 11:43 pm 
Presentation Grade

If it were me I'd strap the gun down to an old tire, and get a long piece of string :) If the first couple of rounds don't blow it up.... Or try some high brass field loads for those first two "test loads" if A-OK just shoot low base in it.

If not you will be darn glad you were not holding it :D

Seriously, considering liability worries today I kinda doubt any smith would give you an okey dokey with an old twist barreled gun.

I like the tire and long string method myself. Make sure the gun does not have a short chamber. I hear a lot of the old guns have short chambers and bad things happen when shooting modern 2 3/4" shells in them.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:40 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Hang this gun over the mantle where it belongs! If a competent gunsmith won't give you an unqualified OK to shoot it, don't!

And, don't strap it to a tire and fire some modern ammo in it AND THEN assume it is safe if it didn't blow up. It may well blow up on the NEXT firing! Damage to "twist" (Damascus) barrels is cumulative and eventually will lead to failure. You don't want to be there when "EVENTUALLY" comes to pass.

Romans 8:1

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 2:06 pm 
Crown Grade

I have to go with Old Skeeter. I collect old "Trade Brand Name" single barrel single shot shotguns and have over 200 in my collection. I wouldn't attempt to shoot any one of them. When these guns were made, they were built to the specifications and metalurgy of the times. They were designed for the ammunition in use then which was either black powder or low pressure smokeless powder loaded shells. They were NOT designed for more modern high pressure smokeless powder loaded three inch magnum shells or steel shot. I have a gunsmithing book that says damascus barrels are an accident waiting to happen. One shot, four shots, forty shots or four hundred shots, some time those barrels are going to let go. Given the American propensity to want more powerful ammo (if it's not on wheels, then it's not big enough) somewhere sometime some damn fool is going to stuff a 3 inch magnum in one of these old guns and pull the trigger. When he looses a few fingers, one eye and the side of his head, I don't want him coming back to me and saying "You did not tell me that wasn't safe".

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 2:58 pm 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

I will add that just because the shell is low base does not mean that it generates low chamber pressures. I think that the ammo companies push the pressure limits on all shells, because it is more economical for them. You can use less of a faster burning powder to get the required velocity. The other up side is that the shell will still give respectable performance in cold weather.

If you really want to shoot the gun you pretty much have to reload, unless you can find a source for commercial low pressure rounds.

NRA Life
NSCA Life + Level 1 Instructor
ATA Annual

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:23 pm 
Field Grade

Thanks guys, all the advice given is very helpful. I don't want to hunt with this, just wanted to fire the old gal. I sure would like to find a source for very low pressure shells...

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 7:38 pm 
Crown Grade

Ask around among the local gunsmiths or gun dealers. There may be some reloaders in your area who will custom load for you.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:10 pm 
Field Grade

Thanks Ned, I'll try that route.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:16 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Ok... you're being told left and right that it's a really bad idea to shoot this gun, yet you are still insistent... you don't want an opinion, you want someone to condone a bad idea.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:01 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Doktor says; Don't Shoot It........endocrendo....finishided

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:41 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Finding "low pressure loads" is not the issue; the age and construction of "the old gal" is. The old trade guns with twist barrels weren't particularly well-built (for the most part) and, unlike fine wine, they do not improve with age.

Maybe you don't understand "twist" barrels. They are strips of thin metal strap or wire wound around a mandrel and soldered or welded together. Think of a spring soldered solid. With age, corrosion weakens the joints. Even the "low pressure loads" they were designed for may open them up.

If you insist on firing this gun, please be sure that your life and disability insurance policies are paid up. Your family deserves at least that much!

Romans 8:1

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:54 pm 
Field Grade

Alright,alright, I won't shoot it. So tempting though, looking at that bright, clean bore...

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:38 pm 
Utility Grade

This is a worlds challenge ejector and i want to know how old it is and what it is worth and i think it is either a 8 gauge or a 10 gauge not sure?i think its from the late 1800's or early 1900's

Last edited by Seth51895 on Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:46 pm 
Utility Grade

here is another pic of it

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:42 am 
Crown Grade

It's a 12 gauge and see my other replies. The trigger guard is missing which reduces the value.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 2:45 am 
Presentation Grade

I will add that just because the shell is low base does not mean that it generates low chamber pressures.

Read more: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=205703#ixzz1PKPGSz9b

A very true statement!!!!. I would not shoot the gun with any shells under any condition. I only have 10 fingers & 2 hands & I don't intend on losing any by shooting a unsafe shotgun.

A500R