CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:51 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Mossberg 500 slide/action release extension
PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:34 pm 
Field Grade

Hi fellow scatter brains!

Speaking of scatter brains, I posted here regarding a problem with a Mossberg 500 scattergun with Black Warrior pistol grip full stock. The stock design is not user friendly for reaching the slide/action disconnect lever, more like downright impossible.

Part of the problem is stock is rubber coated, pretty sticky stuff, not easy to quickly reposition hand. Main problem is a poor design that doesn't allow enough clearance between pistol grip and trigger guard. Filed the hooboy out of grip, nope, no good. Only hope was to extend release lever so I could reach it.

First picture shows the modified lever in the raw before finishing, to show where weld was done. Second is after finishing, texturing, hot dip blueing. There I heated it cherry red and quenched it in 2 stroke boat fuel-mix oil, the blue stuff from WallyWorld China Outlet Store.

Further problem was the slide wouldn't disconnect after firing a shot. Hammer falling is supposed to push disconnect lever & spring to disconnect action for follow up shot, but instead the slide remained locked. There's a small V shaped spring that loops an end over disconnect lever, and another spring forward of that and deeper in trigger group well. The second one in front & in bottom of trigger group, similar to a clothespin spring, is what I had to bend to give more spring action to cause proper disconnect.

So, maybe this will help the next guy if the problem arises. Mossberg trigger group repair ain't for sissies, real pain in the keyster. Some alignment pins are needed when pushing out retainer pins to keep all the little kiddies playing nice together. I very strongly suggest taking pics and also sketching diagrams with notes to show relationships. Even then it's a challenge for many of us.

Of course posting pictures was another disaster, speaking of a pain in the butt, so here's the links:

http://s294.photobucket.com/albums/mm11 ... Custom.jpg

http://s294.photobucket.com/albums/mm11 ... Custom.jpg

Post subject: Re: Mossberg 500 slide/action release extension
PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:39 pm 
Field Grade

Tried again to upload the pics for you, but not allowed I guess. What a pisser......

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:54 pm 
Field Grade

Maybe I figured out the lame brained software this time! 1985 technology?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:31 pm 
Diamond Grade

I've come at it from every direction imagineable but you just can't pound a square peg in a round hole. I am absolutely going to have a full buttstock pistol grip shotgun and my Mossberg is absolutely not the right gun for it. I only ever felt compelled to have one good shotgun but to get the real deal I'm going to end up spending the price of 3 shotguns to get two good ones. My Mossberg started as a pistol grip only. Fun game for a few days but.... So I put a pistol grip buttstock on it. Much better control and it will be very hard to pry out of my hands but damned if there is a good way to release the action and damned if there is a truly good way to release the safety. It just ain't gonna happen, no matter what gimic I try, so.....
I need to just put a buttstock on the Mossberg or even put the toy pistol grip thing back on it, for a novelty, and buy an 870 and start over.
I bought the Mossberg not thinking or not knowing how I wanted it to evolve. I've not bought another item over $20 that I didn't put twice as much consideration into. Its a great gun but NNNNOOOOTTTT meant for a pistol grip anything.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:20 pm 
Field Grade

I agree and I am so glad I joined this forum before I started to modify my 500! Learned so much here already.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:27 am 
Diamond Grade

Don't be afraid to modify it. Do take into account that 90% of the stuff out there is crap and you need to stick with a more traditional buttstock. Side saddles sit well on the Mossberg 500. Tere are several light configurations that put a light right at your forend. There are some great sling set ups and some good mag extensions.
I do have to add that if you have bead sites and you pick an aftermarket stock, be sure you can still sight down the barrel. The Mossberg bead sights are hard to change out.
Yep. The 870 is so much more versitile for what we do here.
This is my Mossberg. It's a looker and it shoots great but it does not excell at immediate deployment.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 1:44 am 
Utility Grade

Hi,

How hard was it to remove the lever and replace it? Taking out the pin looks easy enough but is it hard to get the spring back on right? Does anything else in the trigger group fall apart when the lever is removed?

Thanks

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:17 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Location: It is the tradition that a Kentuckian never runs. He does not have to. (1931)
Welcome to the Basement, lenbro. You found an old thread, didn't you? I missed this one back then, and this is the first time that I have seen a photograph of a modified Mossberg slide release lever. Note that Spirit 1 welded an extension on his OEM slide release lever. It is not a replacement.

Let me guess. You bought a new Mossberg model with a PG buttstock? And this is your first post because you now know that the slide release lever and tang safety are a PITA to manipulate with that PG buttstock?

Just leave your slide release lever exactly as it is, and understand Mohave-Tec's advice on the PG buttstock. Find someone who is as eager to find a PG buttstock for their Mossberg, as you were to find your PG buttstock model. (Yes, O. F. Mossberg & Sons knows the difference between good judgement and bad judgement, but that doesn't stop them from making the Chainsaw, because they know for a fact that someone somewhere has to have one.)

Once you have a standard buttstock (perhaps a Hogue stock) on your gun, remember that your thumb always stays on top of the neck of the stock, and never wrapped over and around it. You can easily work the slide release lever with your middle finger, which is behind the trigger guard anyway. A Mossberg has excellent locations for the controls, provided the factory or the owner doesn't cripple it with a PG stock. Good luck, sir.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:15 pm 
Tournament Grade

wfb18 wrote:
...Let me guess. You bought a new Mossberg model with a PG buttstock? And this is your first post because you now know that the slide release lever and tang safety are a PITA to manipulate with that PG buttstock?...

The PG stock shown in the 2010 post above is the worst fitting PG stock I've ever seen on a Mossberg. Period.

Keep in mind there are exeptions to the general rule. I have a 500GRS with an early production Knoxx SpecOps recoil reducing adjustable LOP stock. It replaced a shortened LOP OEM conventional monte-carlo style synthetic stock.

The Knoxx requires a different technique for the safety & the slide release, however in my experience both are miles away from being a "PITA".

A properly designed PG stock for a Mossberg will be relieved at the neck and will also be relieved at the slide release. IMO, a PG-stock that does not have both should not be used on a Mossberg. The above-mentioned Knoxx has both. As I am a righty, with the Knoxx the slide release is normally activated by the PG-hand thumb.

IMO, the advantages of this PG stock on my Mossberg outweigh the slight compromises involved. There is no way I would willingly go back to the prior stock & be happy about it.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:56 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Location: It is the tradition that a Kentuckian never runs. He does not have to. (1931)
I have to agree with you about the Knoxx SpecOps stock, not that I have one, but because I do have a Knoxx BreachersGrip. These perform just as advertised. I put up with the reduced functionality of the controls, because the product is that good. I sure did overlook the SpecOps stock when I made that blanket assessment of PG buttstocks on Mossbergs. My solution was to install the big Cavalry Arms (now defunct) oversized safety, and I keep the Cruiser "cruiser-ready," so the slide is already released.

I am going to use a SpeedFeed birdshead grip instead of the BreachersGrip this year. I may stick with it because it will fit a scabbard better. And I will finally get a Knoxx CompStock for my HD gun, because it compliments the Mossberg controls. Good luck, sir.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:30 pm 
Tournament Grade

wfb18 wrote:
I have to agree with you about the Knoxx SpecOps stock...I do have a Knoxx BreachersGrip...

Yes, the pre-Blackhawk! version Knoxx Breacher and SpecOps (adjustable LOP) recoil reducing stocks are basically the same, except that the Breacher doesn't have the aft tube & stock.