CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:12 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Coast to Coast model 880? Anyone know about this?
PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 7:40 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Can anyone tell me about this shotgun? It is 12 gauge, will take a 3" shell and from what little I can find on the internet it will take a Mossberg 500 barrel. Most likely it is a 500 clone. I was originally looking for a receiver to do some fancy machine work and then do a Norells' Moly Resin coating when a guy at a gun show was selling this for $75. I figured that's what I would most likely pay for a receiver so why not redo the whole gun? I have a Mossberg 500 fore end but I need a nut for the action bar. If I could get the one off the 500 I would try it but I don't have a wrench handy. The barrel is a full rib deal that I was thinking about cutting down and having King Armory put a breacher on. I'm not sure I want to wait that long for one though and might just do one myself since it's a project gun. The mag tube was also loose in the receiver, as in not tightly screwed down. I'm also going to do a full rail recessed over the rib to hide it. Should be interesting when I get done. In the meantime if anyone has any information on this shotgun I would appreciate it. If anyone has any spare 500 parts they want to get rid of for this project, let me know what you have and what you want. I don't care the condition as everything is getting redone anyway. A longer mag tube would be great if anyone has an extra. If I had the time I would even think about doing a SBS but time and $$$ are both short.
The fore end stock is a real joke. Jammed on by using electrical tape. I'll probably have to cut the stock off.

Post subject: Re: Coast to Coast model 880? Anyone know about this?
PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 9:04 pm 
Presentation Grade

Mossberg!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:00 am 
Tournament Grade

BlenderWizard wrote:
Mossberg!

That is exactly what I was thinking as well.

-Andrew

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:43 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Location: It is the tradition that a Kentuckian never runs. He does not have to. (1931)
The Coast to Coast Master-Mag model CC660 is a 'house brand' Mossberg 500A 12 gauge and the CC880 is a Mossberg 500C 20 gauge. They were sold in the nearly defunct Coast to Coast hardware store chain in the United States (now part of True Value) from the late 1970's to early 1980's. The wood is probably less expensive birch rather than walnut. This might help you to date your gun. Beginning in 1970, the standard 12-gauge model featured double slide bars rather than the original single bar for added strength. In 1977 Mossberg phased out the external C-Lect dial-choke (which cannot shoot steel shot) in favor of the internal Accu-Choke system (which after 1987 can shoot steel shot). Good luck, candewman!

ImageImage

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 2:28 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Ok, it is the CC880 only it is 12 gauge. This also has the double action bars and they are pinned, which I don't really care for. I have to look at it closely because the action bar is really loose. On the plus side, the barrel from the Mossberg 500 I have here swaps right in and the CC880 barrel fits the 500. I already ordered a new safety for it. The old one was something someone made out of a piece of wood! I'm bead blasting today so I'm going to start taking her apart and reworking what I got. Thanks.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 6:47 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Location: It is the tradition that a Kentuckian never runs. He does not have to. (1931)

ETA: Please disregard the following, candewman. I looked again at the engraving on the side of your Coast to Coast receiver and it plainly does say 12 gauge. The model number though is fuzzy in the photograph. Is it possible that it reads CC660, sir?

IGNORE:
Would you mind please using a micrometer to measure the width of the Coast to Coast receiver? The Mossberg 500C 20 gauge receiver is slightly narrower than the 500A 12 gauge receiver, although I don't know the measurements yet. But you can compare and see if the Coast to Coast receiver measures narrower than your 500A 12 gauge receiver. Also, the magazine tube of the 500C 20 gauge is narrower than the magazine tube of the 500A 12 gauge. Will a 12 gauge shell fit in the Coast to Coast magazine tube? And what is engraved on the bottom of the Coast to Coast receiver? I am concerned that somehow you might have a 12 gauge barrel on a 20 gauge receiver. Is your Coast to Coast barrel actually engraved CC880? Every Coast to Coast 12 gauge on Gunbroker, ect. that actually mentioned the model number was a CC660, and every Coast to Coast 20 gauge on Gunbroker, ect. that actually mentioned the model number was a CC880. Thanks, candewman.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:38 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

This deal with the Coast to Coast models CC660 and CC880 kept bugging me, and after some more re-checking, I have concluded that the model numbers are capricious, meaning that these model numbers do not correspond to the gauge size. The important engraving is the gauge, which in your case is plainly engraved "12 GA.", and the model number is for any practical purpose totally irrelevant. I found three Coast to Coast 12 gauge shotguns engraved CC660 and two .410's engraved CC660. I found four Coast to Coast 12 gauge shotguns engraved CC880 and four 20 gauge shotguns engraved CC880. I even found one Coast to Coast 20 gauge that was posted as being engraved CC860. Now that makes me think that engraved 6's and 8's could easily be misread, and that possibly every model number should be read as CC880. Who knows, who cares? The gauge engraving is the only relevant information, and I apologize for being skeptical that you have a 12 gauge Coast to Coast gun, candewman. I didn't want you to blow up a 20 gauge barrel that was obstructed with with a 12 gauge wad. :shock:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:34 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

It's a legitimate concern, being 12 or 20 gauge, and a good thing to check on a mystery (to me) gun. The more I thought about it the more I wondered if my eyes weren't seeing things. The photo's (to me) aren't the best evidence of CC880 or CC660, so I'm going to look at it again today. I'm going to take comparison measurements as well like you suggested. Gun Parts Corp is no road map either. They don't list a CC880 or CC660 model.

As I was taking the gun apart I noticed that there was some metal banding around the magazine tube. Very curious. I'll post pictures later about this along with my measurement findings.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 3:25 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

It is definitely 12 gauge after comparing everything. It is also a CC880 as I re read the stamping to be sure my eyes didn't fool me. Here's a pic of the mag tube with what looks like a sheet metal thread. Is this normal? It doesn't hold it back any. I'll be completely stripping it down this weekend and checking all the internal parts and seeing what needs to be replaced. I am especially curious about the safety and since I'll be doing some machining on the receiver anyway, I might look to see if there is a better way to make the safety work near the trigger.

Also a pic of the barrel stamping

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:45 pm 
Field Grade

that barrell is identical to my 28in for my 500a

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:10 pm 
Crown Grade

candewman wrote:
It is definitely 12 gauge after comparing everything. It is also a CC880 as I re read the stamping to be sure my eyes didn't fool me. Here's a pic of the mag tube with what looks like a sheet metal thread. Is this normal? It doesn't hold it back any.

The mag tube on my JC higgins looks real similar. Are you sure that the part the arrow is pointing at isn't a spring? On the JC Higgins, there is a similar looking spring there.
Quote:
I'll be completely stripping it down this weekend and checking all the internal parts and seeing what needs to be replaced. I am especially curious about the safety and since I'll be doing some machining on the receiver anyway, I might look to see if there is a better way to make the safety work near the trigger.

Sounds like a major job. What's the machining for?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:45 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

e band on the tube does appear to be some kind of a spring but I don't know what function it would serve. As for the machining, I saw a 1911 one time where the grip portion on the slide was done in a fish scale design rather than the usual serrations. It looked pretty cool to me. I thought about doing the same fish scale design on the receiver. No function to it, I just thought it would break up the flatness and add a little bit of character. Just to be different I suppose. Some people like oak leaves and hunting dogs engraved in the receiver, I'm going to see what this looks like.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:07 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

candewman, the following will probably explain the spring assembly on the Coast to Coast magazine tube. It was kind of lost in the I Love My Mossberg Shotguns Forum - http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=58&t=193926&p=1600249#p1600249.

wfb18 wrote:
Deepwater wrote:
Neanderthal wrote:
I had this exact problem. I don't want to sound like a jerk, but are you sure you have a 500? Mine was a Westernfield, and another was a New Haven, nearly exact to a 500, and I had to unscrew the magazine tube to get the action bars out, because they used a system on the mag. tube that was supposed to keep the forearm from rattling that does not allow it to slide off like on a 500. In every other respect they are a 500. I mean no disrespect, but it took me quite a while to figure this out, darn near drove me crazy.
Thanks to all for your advice. Last night I again diassembled my 500 and tried to remove the forend, but it still won't go. I think you may be on to something, Neanderthal - even though it's a genuine Mossberg, I've come to believe that there may be some sort of retainer spring around the mag tube. When the forend stops short of allowing the arms to exit the receiver cuts, there's a slight "give" to it. Looks like I'll have to figure out how to remove the mag tube from the receiver without damaging it. :?

UPDATE: Stopped by Harbor Freight on the way home and picked up a pair of strap wrenches for $4.99. Fieldstripped my shotgun and padded the receiver in a woodworking vise and attached both wrenches to the mag tube. After much straining and grunting the tube came off without damage. Lo and behold the mag tube had not one, but two collars soldered to it, along with a spring to dampen the forward movement of the slide. Happy to say the tube has a nice new blue job and all is well. Thanks to all for the advice and help!
Three questions, please, Deepwater? Can I assume that both your receiver and barrel have the Mossberg stamp or engraving? If so, then did you buy your Mossberg used from someone who modified your slide assembly? And when did you buy your Mossberg and when did your Mossberg leave the factory, sir? I ask these questions because your introductory post said that you had fielded your Mossberg for 35 years, so we know that your slide assembly problem had nothing to do with the integral Maverick forend/slide assembly that migrated onto certain Mossberg models since 2006. Thank you.

Deepwater wrote:
wfb18 wrote:
Deepwater wrote:
Glad to oblige. I received my Mossberg 500 brand new out of the box in December, 1974. The receiver is stamped on the bottom just fore of the loading port as "Mossberg, Model 500AT." The "G" prefix in the serial number indicates manufacture around that year. It has been my main hunting gun all of the 35 years since then and has been in my posession the entire time - it has never been taken to a gunsmith or loaned out. I still have the original Mossberg barrel (a 30" full choke plain) that came on it, but have since upgraded to a newer 28" VR with choke tubes since I couldn't use steel shot with the original barrel. The shotgun has never been modified and as I said in my original post, I had never been able to remove the action slide tube in the 35 years I have owned it until now. That's the way it came from the factory!
Deepwater, I hope that you will ask Mossberg about this, just for the sake of history. "Lo and behold the mag tube [you mean 'action slide assembly', don't you?] had not one, but two collars soldered to it, along with a spring to dampen the forward movement of the slide." ....

wfb18 - The photos attached to your post show exactly what my 500 looks like. The wooden forend is the same stained hardwood with the grooves cut in it. What I meant when I posted "mag tube" is the magazine tube (#27 on the diagram). That is the part that has the two external collars positioned midway on the tube (about 3" apart). A short flat spring is wound around the tube (about 1 1/2 turns) and is attached to the rearward collar (towards the threaded end of the magazine tube that screws into the receiver). The two collars provide the bearing surface that the slide action tube (#28 on the diagram) rides on when the action is worked. A constriction at the rear of the slide action tube contacts the spring as the action is closed and keeps the forend assembly from rattling when the action is locked (ingenious, yes?). This was the reason I couldn't get the assembly off when the bolt was removed - it simply would not travel beyond the spring and rear collar on the magazine tube.

I watched another Youtube video about maintaining the M 500 that was a preview of a gunsmithing course, and mention was made that this spring might be encountered on older Mossbergs and New Havens, and that the magazine tube would have to be removed in order to remove the slide assembly (as I discovered), so evidently this isn't unusual. Thanks.

Neanderthal wrote:
wfb18 wrote:
Deepwater, thanks for taking the time to detail that for me. I was clueless about your 500 AT. So Mossberg solved the rattling forend problem many years ago, but they had to abandon their solution in order to keep user disassembly uniformly easy amongst all their different models? I would sure like a couple of pictures of that slide assembly on the mag tube, the next time that you have the barrel off, if you don't mind?
I'm thinking the main reason is what most things boil down to-$$$. This had to add to the cost of manufacturing the gun. I have two like that, and I'm not sure if they rattle less or not, or how much less. I never minded the rattle, anyway. But then, I've owned Dodge cars, too! :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:17 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

If you were wondering about the "fishscale" I wanted to machine into the receiver, below is a pic I took off the internet of a 1911 with the machine work. Naturally, mine would be a little bit larger.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:43 am 
Presentation Grade

Good luck with that one, I hope that you know what you're doing.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:00 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

You are definitely a Can Do Man, sir, and you make quality products. You are planning to amaze us with this Coast to Coast shotgun, aren't you?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:10 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

NMduckslayer wrote:
Good luck with that one, I hope that you know what you're doing.

8) You don't know the half of it!

wfb18 wrote:
You are definitely a Can Do Man, sir, and you make quality products. You are planning to amaze us with this Coast to Coast shotgun, aren't you?

Thanks for that. I'm just going to have some fun with it over the next few months. I might even look into the SBS world (I know that will take longer). We'll see how it turns out.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:36 pm 
Utility Grade

I have a Coast to Coast Master-Mag 12 gauge that is clearly stamped Model CC660 it has a 30 inch Full Choke barrel and takes 2 3/4 and 3 in shells. I have hunted with it for 25 years and still do occasionally today. The stock appears to be birch, and the only carving on it is up and down on the fore stock. I do understand that these were made for Coast to Coast by Mossberg, and it is essentially a Mossberg 500. I aquired it on a trade for a rifle 25 years ago.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 12:03 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Welcome to the Basement, tsundb. Does your magazine tube have to be removed in order to remove the slide assembly?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:32 pm 
Utility Grade

Hey, I just bought one today, It is a coast to coast model 880 12 ga. It has a ribbed barrel,,in pretty good shape for 150 bucks so,,there's more than one ol' 880 12 ga. floating around! It has a 32" full choke barrel,, double slide rails too.