CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:06 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Unknown Old 12 gauge shotgun
PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 5:07 pm 
Utility Grade

My landlord brought a very old single barrel shotgun to me to see if I could identify it. He got it from someone who said it belonged to thier Grandfather. There are no manufacturers markings or labels, but it has serial numbers all over it and they are all the same (79763) and on the barrel under the fore grip there is a "C" stamped. He wants to identify it because it is missing the hinge pin and he would like to find one. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Below is a link to some pictures. Thank you in advance for your assistance.

http://www.keepandshare.com/photo/view.php?u=337601&fv=y&vo=lt

Post subject: Re: Unknown Old 12 gauge shotgun
PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 8:03 pm 
Field Grade

Here is one that has been restored.

The gun was made by the Davenport Firearms Co.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:22 pm 
Crown Grade

Mike
Your verbal identification is not enough to identify the gun but the photos show it to be one made by the Crescent Fire Arms Company of Norwich, CT (1892 to 1932). Just which model it is ,I'm not sure. However the hinge pin consists of a threaded hinge pin with a spring loaded tab pinned to that which is lifted and used as a lever to turn the pin in or out. I've made several to restore old single barrels. Any gunsmith or machinist could make one although the cost might be more than the gun is worth Or you can try the parts dealers like Gun Parts Inc or Popperts or the various gun parts web sites for the part.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 12:58 pm 
Utility Grade

Thanks for the help. I will pass it on to my landlord.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 2:27 pm 
Limited Edition

I have to agree with Bob Beach, the gun in your photos, OahuMike, is a Davenport shotgun.

Bob, your restored Davenport is absolutely beautiful. Way cool.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 2:02 pm 
Utility Grade

Ned Fall wrote:
Mike
Your verbal identification is not enough to identify the gun but the photos show it to be one made by the Crescent Fire Arms Company of Norwich, CT (1892 to 1932). Just which model it is ,I'm not sure. However the hinge pin consists of a threaded hinge pin with a spring loaded tab pinned to that which is lifted and used as a lever to turn the pin in or out. I've made several to restore old single barrels. Any gunsmith or machinist could make one although the cost might be more than the gun is worth Or you can try the parts dealers like Gun Parts Inc or Popperts or the various gun parts web sites for the part.

what do you charge to make the hinge pin?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 3:31 am 
Crown Grade

Mike
I'm 80 and a 1/2 years old and quit gunsmithing after I had a stroke over ten years ago. But that doesn't mean that you can't find or have some one make a hinge pin for you. The problem is that Davenport used different types of hinge pins. Some had a flush tab pin the lifted up to unscrew the hinge pin. Others has a tab like a wing nut to do the same. If I could make a replacement, any half qualified machinist or gunsmith can do the same. All that is required is a lathe and some simple metal working tools. Also, from time to time, the major gun parts dealers might have the part you are looking for. They buy up old shotguns and break them up for the parts. They won't always have what you need, you just have to keep checking. Their names and addresses are:
GUN PARTS INC 226 Williams Lane ,P.O. Box 299, West Hurley,NY 12491. Tel: 845 679 4867. www. gunpartscorp.com

POPPERTS GUN PART P.O. Box 413, Glendale,PA 19030, Tel: 215 887 2391, www.poppertsgunparts.com

DIXIE GUN WORKS Gun Powder Lane, Box 130, Union City,TN 38281, Tel: 800 238 6785 www.dixiegu.com

JACK FIRST INC 1201 Turbine Drive, Rapid City,SD 57701, Tel: 605 343 9544. www. jackfirstgun.com