CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:16 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Removing Hawk 982 Magazine Tube Plug
PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 8:36 pm 
Tournament Grade

I'm going to install a Scattergun Tech +1 mag tube extension. I'm aware of the procedure for drilling out the detents in the tube, but the mag plug is stumping me. The Hawk 982 has a mag plug that extends out of the tube. The plug has teeth on the end that engage detents in the mag cap to give a ratcheting effect when tightening the cap. How is this plug removed?

Post subject: Re: Removing Hawk 982 Magazine Tube Plug
PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:28 pm 
Crown Grade

As I understand it, a standard 870 extension will not fit a 982. You have to get a special extension for the 982. Gun Connection makes one, you might check that out.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:48 am 
Tournament Grade

If you haven't drilled out the mag tube dimples yet, just insert a flat head screwdriver (or your finger) in the slot, press down and rotate it until the slots align with the dimples and it will pop out (careful, under pressure from mag spring).

Stuff piece of cloth with a string attached down the mag tube before you start drilling and filling, when you done just pull it out this will keep the mag tube clean. Use a drill or preferably a drill press with a 1/4" bit and a round file to smooth out the hole edges. Go easy, the mag tube steel isn't very thick and you should be able to drill through it easily.

870 mag extensions will fit fine, but they will not be flush with the end of the barrel, they will either be too short or too long.

Max100 @ Gun Connection makes a +2 extension that is flush with the end of the barrel for the 982.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:42 pm 
Tournament Grade

Thanks Mug. I haven't drilled yet because I want to see how the +1 extension looks. It's supposed to be 2" OAL so it will come up about 1 1/2" short of the muzzle, which is OK. It also comes with a sling attatchment point built in.
If, for some reason it doesn't work out I'll go ahead and get Max100's extension.
Thanks guys.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:27 pm 
Tournament Grade

Update,
The UPS man just dropped off my Brownell's order. I pulled out the Scattergun Technologies extension and tried it on the Hawk. It does not screw on more than about two turns and then stops. No go. I pulled the cap off my 870 and it does the same thing!!So now I wonder if the threads are metric. (like the screws for the rear sight).
I'm wondering what gives because the stock screw is SAE.
This is too bad because I like this extension, it's well made and heavy for its' size.
Any suggestion?? Max100??

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:42 pm 
Presentation Grade

Quote:
No go. I pulled the cap off my 870 and it does the same thing!!So now I wonder if the threads are metric. (like the screws for the rear sight).
I'm wondering what gives because the stock screw is SAE.
This is too bad because I like this extension, it's well made and heavy for its' size.
Any suggestion?? Max100??

The Wilson tube ext should fit. I haven't seen any 982 with mag tubes that have metric threads. My 982 tube extensions will also fit the 870. Try your 982 mag cap on the 870 that should tell you. On some 982 shotguns the start of the first thread is thin and tight and can cause a problem. It happens on some 870 shotguns as well.

GC

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:08 pm 
Tournament Grade

Thanks Max. I'll try the 982 cap on my 870 ( and also the ST extension on the 870). I just don't want to force the ST cap on the 982 and screw it up so bad the original cap doesn't work either!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:52 am 
Tournament Grade

wyatt earp wrote:
Thanks Mug. I haven't drilled yet because I want to see how the +1 extension looks. It's supposed to be 2" OAL so it will come up about 1 1/2" short of the muzzle, which is OK. It also comes with a sling attatchment point built in.
If, for some reason it doesn't work out I'll go ahead and get Max100's extension.
Thanks guys.

Why would you drill? There's no need to. Just lube up a long socket close to ID of mag tube, and gently tap it in with a hammer. Then once in (will seem stuck) grip socket in a vice and tap outside of mag tube over dimples with a lightweight hammer until flush. Easy, takes about 5 mins, no holes, no bare metal from filing, and retains finish. Simple metal working. It works. I know because I've done it to mine.
I'll never understand why people are so quick to break out the drill and make holes in a perfectly good surface for no reason :?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:03 am 
Tournament Grade

Ken M1 wrote:
Why would you drill? There's no need to. Just lube up a long socket close to ID of mag tube, and gently tap it in with a hammer. Then once in (will seem stuck) grip socket in a vice and tap outside of mag tube over dimples with a lightweight hammer until flush. Easy, takes about 5 mins, no holes, no bare metal from filing, and retains finish. Simple metal working. It works. I know because I've done it to mine.
I'll never understand why people are so quick to break out the drill and make holes in a perfectly good surface for no reason :?

I was aware of the socket method, but I chose to drill after reading several threads here where people had trouble getting the socket out and some even damaged the mag tube. The mag tubes are not easily removable or replaceable on the 982.

I also have a very limited set of tools and have zero metal working experience, so it was "Drill, baby, drill" for me.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:15 pm 
Tournament Grade

Finally Got It On.
After considerable threading and unthreading, cleaning off the threads with a wire brush and oiling with a penetrating oil, the EXTENSION IN ON!!!!!

Thanks to all who helped with this endeavour.
Wyatt
PS, I also installed the Vang safety and I really like it.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:24 pm 
Tournament Grade

I was able to take one photo before my camera battery died.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:29 am 
Tournament Grade

Wyatt...that's a NICE looking setup! Looks GREAT! Can definitely see the difference between 870 and yours. My +1 on 870 still leaves about 4" left of barrel. How do you like the side mount sling set up (I have the "out the top" standard set up)?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:38 pm 
Tournament Grade

Ken,
That's because the Hawk mag tube is longer and has a 5 shell capacity. The downside is that standard +2 extensions are too long (except for the custom made Max100 ones). I went with the Scattergun Tech +1 because it had the attached sling mount and I wanted it on the left side because I intend to mount a light on the underside of the forend. I like the light inline with the bore. So I compromised one round in capacity for the attached sling mount vs the better look and 2 round capacity of Max's.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:10 am 
Presentation Grade

The Wilson +1 looks good on the 982. They are heavy but well made.

GC

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:25 am 
Tournament Grade

Wyatt...I don't think you compromised at all. The +1 looks GREAT on your shottie! I have the +1 and would not use anyting else. IMHO, the +1 is the way to go. I don't like the looks of +2 (even with the barrel end). Plus the +1 does not require a brace, which means the shotgun can still be taken down without tools (which in itself makes the +2 a no-no). GREAT choice and glad you're happy with it!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 3:25 am 
Presentation Grade

Quote:
Plus the +1 does not require a brace, which means the shotgun can still be taken down without tools (which in itself makes the +2 a no-no). GREAT choice and glad you're happy with it!

The +2 extension doesn't require a mag tube clamp either because it's only 3.5" long. That's one of the good things about the 982 there is no need for a mag clamp and there is plenty of room in front of the forend to mount an accessory mount on the mag tube.

I would like to see a defense 870 copy with a full length mag tube, no tube extension needed.

GC