CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:59 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Need help with a Stevens Model 124
PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:21 pm 
Utility Grade

Can someone please instruct me on how to remove the bolt handle ( or cocking bolt ) from this shotgun. It is in horrible condition and in serious need of maintenance. I tried to post a photo, no luck. It is the Stevens Model 124 Bolt action Shotgun.

Post subject: Re: Need help with a Stevens Model 124
PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:05 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Most of those old Stevens bolt will come out if you pull the trigger while the bolt is open and pulled to the rear. One that I had required that I press down on the safety beside the bolt. Try both ways.

Laziness....The habit of resting before you get tired.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 6:50 pm 
Utility Grade

Hey, I've got a Stevens Model 124 as well and cannot figure out how to remove the bolt either.. Unfortunately its not as simple as a "standard" bolt system.. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/cpg1410/displayimage.php?pos=-7385

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 8:33 pm 
Crown Grade

The Stevens model 124 is a manually operated bolt action styled to look like a semi-auto. The bolt must be pulled out, then back to eject a shell. Pushing the bolt forward will chamber a new round and the bolt must be pushed in to lock the bolt. The bolt engages a hole in the left side of the frame and will be flush with the exterior of the frame when fully closed.

Its necessary to remove the trigger group and carrier assembly before the bolt can be removed. Move the bolt to the rear until the firing pin stop pin is aligned with the bolt locking hole on the left side of the receiver. It will be necessary to use a small dental-type pick to push the stop pin out towards the outside of the receiver. The bolt then has to be moved to the forward position and pushed into the locked position. At this point, it will be necessary to push the firing pin all the way forward before the bolt handle can be removed.

The Gun Digest Book of Firearms Assembly/Disassembly has illustrated instructions for
this procedure.

Montani Semper Liberi

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 7:52 am 
Utility Grade

Awesome!! It worked. Thanks!