CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:15 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Perazzi Mirage for shooting skeet
PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:41 am 
Limited Edition

Good Morning Gentlemen,
A member of our local club has for sale a Mirage. It is a skeet model w/ 27 5/8" Bbls. and has a set of custom Briley Ultralites and an appropriate Americase for all. I have not checked date code so I don't know the age of the gun but it has probably less than 5000 shots thru it and none of those were 12 ga. (used tube set only as far as I know) The asking price for it seems fair as it is practically brand new/older stock. My question is; What, if anything is unique to the "Mirage" designation ? Also, if I buy it I would like to get a set of 32" sporting Bbls to shoot clays with and I'm guessin' that would add 2500-3500 to the price. I don't need another skeet gun but it would be perfect that and I would probably shoot it for that. In addition to sporting.
The fella who has it for sale bought it from an older gentleman that also shot at our club that has since passed on. So I know the history of the gun. I would probably wind up with 7K in the gun all things considered. I'm thinking that may be more than it'd be worth. Any thoughts ? shoot straight and support your local SCTP teams. .... j.

Post subject: Re: Perazzi Mirage for shooting skeet
PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:52 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

It's a lot more than it's worth... you can buy a used K-80 with tubes for that price.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:30 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

The "Mirage" has a few minor up-grades from a basic gun.

Is it an MX 8? There are a few Mirages out there that aren't MX 8's.

If so , you could add 32 inch barrels later.....but they'd have to be fitted.

I agree w/ drsfmd....the seller wants too much.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:46 am 
Limited Edition

I might have not made myself clear. The asking price for the gun and tube sets is 4500. I was figgerin' spending about 2500 for the extra Bbls. .....j.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:15 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I'd still want to know the year and the model...then I can advise better.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:23 pm 
Crown Grade

drsfmd wrote:
It's a lot more than it's worth... you can buy a used K-80 with tubes for that price.

Yeah but then he'd have a Krieghoff and not a Perazzi!! :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:43 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

ryansmith wrote:
Yeah but then he'd have a Krieghoff and not a Perazzi!! :lol:

Which is inherently a good thing :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:57 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

dr: Not always....you see, last September , I bought this POS piece of I-talian tin....and just last Sunday won the SC tournament w/ the durn thing....sorry. I feel like Judas to my beloved German iron. :oops:

But --wait a minute...who's gonna shoot a set of inertia triggers w/ a tube set at skeet...

........aaaaaaahhhhhh 8)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:02 am 
Crown Grade

jdwaddle; Mr. Waddle lets look at this objectively :D Since you seem very aware of the prior ownership of the gun, you have an advantage as a buyer. A round count of 5000 is very low for a MX8 and that's a good thing.

Lets look at the market value of the gun if it were broken down into parts.

#1 A Mirage receiver and forearm iron will bring $1500.00 EVEN IF the numbers do not match :wink:
#2 The MX8 trigger group - if its a selectable group, it will bring about $1200.00 non selectable $800 or so.
#3 The 27.5" barrels are not very desirable in the open market, but would have a value of at least $500
#4 The Briley Ultralites - while short in length DO have value as does the Americase container - I would rate the combined value at $750.00
#5 The stock - if its a Perazzi stock - standard grade, one can usually expect $400. 00 or so.
I would place no worry to the comment concerning the inertia triggers :roll: It seems the current owner has been shooting tubes without any problems. Besides removing the inertia block is a minor fix to begin with. So this puts you at a max value of $3950 minimum value of $3550. Good used 32" Sporting barrels are easily found in the $2500.00 range and as far as barrel fitting goes, contrary to some opinions, a very high % of P barrels interchange without any additional fitting at all.

It appears to me that the seller has the gun priced correctly as a whole unit, you will need to decide if its the correct gun for you.

As a side note, one can usually find a clean MX8 with 31 1/2" barrels in the $5500.00 range and even less if patient!

Good Luck,

RTA48

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:22 am 
Limited Edition

Thanks for all the replies. RTA 48 thanks especially for a black and white, dollars and sense answer. that is exactly what I looking for. I think I'll let the seller move this piece around in his safe for a little while longer. Maybe he will tire of it taking up the space and be a bit more motivated. Thx Again. ...shoot straight and support your local SCTP teams. ....j.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 6:42 pm 
Crown Grade

Mr. Waddle, there is a gentleman named Pete that works in the Briley showroom that has a very nice used Perazzi that he is trying to move for $4K - now thats the kind of deal I was talking about. You might want to give him a call if interested.

RTA48

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 9:58 am 
Tournament Grade

There also is a Perazzi MX 8 Special at Briley, call Pete, with 31 1/2 barrels with a new set of tubes and a Rad recoil reducer for $6K. So like RT48 says these are just two of the deals out there.