CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 6:57 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Availability of aftermarket HD stock for Mossberg 20 gauge?
PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 4:55 pm 
Utility Grade

I have a Mossberg 500 in 20 gauge that I would like to put an aftermarket stock on so that my 5 foot, 106 pound girlfriend can more easily handle. I was hoping to find something with a pistol grip on the stock; but so far all I have been able to find is one made by ATI. I have heard negative reports on many ATI products and would like to avoid them if at all possible. I found a Choate stock that is adjustable for LOP but don't know if it would fit for a 20 gauge. Does anyone have any suggestions?
I am planning on calling Choate after the weekend and will post what I find out. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Post subject: Re: Availability of aftermarket HD stock for Mossberg 20 gauge?
PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 6:02 pm 
Crown Grade

IIRC, 12 gauge stocks will fit, but will be wider than the receiver by a slight amount, mostly a cosmetic issue really.

For a Mossberg, I would recommend a conventional stock rather than a pistol grip stock, even though I tend to prefer pistol grip stocks. On a Mossberg, it is rather difficult to reach the safety when a pistol grip stock is fitted. Mossberg makes a youth stock intended for the 20 gauge that would be perfect.

I'm considering picking up a Mossberg 20 gauge youth model to use with slugs as a light weight shoulder fired bear gun.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 10:08 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Speedfeed makes a short pistol-grip stock -- the IV-S.

As TempestV said, pistol-grip stocks make it awkward to use the Mossberg safety and slide release. Either a Mossberg Bantam/Super Bantam stock or the Hogue youth stock might be a better option.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:47 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Location: It is the tradition that a Kentuckian never runs. He does not have to. (1931)
Welcome to the Basement, Cherokee Bob!
NHrural wrote:
...As TempestV said, pistol-grip stocks make it awkward to use the Mossberg safety and slide release. Either a Mossberg Bantam/Super Bantam stock or the Hogue youth stock might be a better option.
I agree, don't have your girlfriend struggle with the safety on a pistol-gripped Mossberg. And I suggest that she will gain more shooting skill from a recoil-reducing, 13.5" LOP Knoxx CompStock that causes her no discomfort, than from only using a shortened stock. Click on FAQ's, and if you order it you will select "Mossberg 88 20 gauge."

Image Image Image

If a shortened LOP is the only concern, you could shorten the current stock yourself, and save this much money:
Choate Mark 5 Conventional 11.75" LOP Buttstock Youth Mossberg 500, 600 Synthetic Black; Midway #675243; Choate #02-01-10; $58.99 (I am not certain that this fits a 20 gauge.)
Mossberg 13" LOP Buttstock Bantam Youth checkered honey-satin wood Mossberg 500C 20 Gauge; Midway #563587; Mossberg #95020; $73.99; or $60 from Mossberg.
Mossberg 13" LOP Buttstock Bantam Wood Mossberg 500C 20 gauge; Midway #875211; Mossberg #12936; $75.99
Mossberg 13-7/8" Buttstock honey-satin wood Mossberg 500C 20 gauge; Midway #840627; Mossberg #13612; $93.99; or $67 from Mossberg.

The Mossberg 500 and 510 Super Bantam stock includes two recoil pads and a stock spacer. By using the short pad, the LOP can be reduced to 12"; with the spacer and longer pad, the LOP is 13". Bantam stocks have a 13" LOP. I think that there are Bantam and Super Bantam stocks that will fit any 500, but I could not find many part numbers or prices. The Mossberg 505 Youth 20 gauge shotgun has a 12" LOP. I cannot find a Mossberg part number or price. I do not think that Hogue makes a 12" LOP ShortShot stock for the Mossberg 500C 20 gauge. Good luck!