CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:18 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Mossberg model 600 20 GA
PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 6:18 pm 
Utility Grade

I have recently been looking at a Mossberg model 600 20 gauge pump action shotgun and had a few questions on it. I was wondering if you can shoot slugs with this shotgun. Any ideas? Or where is the best place to get as much info on this model as possible?

Thanks,

Post subject: Re: Mossberg model 600 20 GA
PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 10:01 pm 
Diamond Grade

All shotguns shoot slugs.

A warm welcome to Shotgun World. {hs#

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 12:27 am 
Tournament Grade

my first shotgun was a Mossberg 600CT. It had the c-lect-a-choke on it. I hated that thing so I bought a ribbed modified choke barrel for it. I've shot slugs through it and it's ok out to 50 yds. My son's 500 barrel fits on my gun so you might check into one of the slug barrels if you want to get really serious about shooting slugs.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 1:47 am 
Diamond Grade

You use mod. choke for slugs?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 2:48 am 
Presentation Grade

SicSemper wrote:

What about shotguns with fixed full chokes (if there are any??)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 4:50 pm 
Tournament Grade

yes, back in 198X's the main source of information that I had was the local gun shop. He told me as long as my gun had and modified choke or less it would be fine to shoot. He sold me the gun, the shells, everything else that I used to hunt so I believed him. Apparently he was right about the Mossberg shooting slugs through a modified safely, Probably shot over a hundred through it with no problems. The slugs that I shot were Remington 1 oz. These were deadly on coyotes and deer and the occasional skunk that was unfortunate enough to be out during daylight if I didn't have any birdshot.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 5:10 pm 
Limited Edition

Smelly Benelli wrote:
SicSemper wrote:

What about shotguns with fixed full chokes (if there are any??)

Standard 1 oz. soft lead "rifled" slugs can be fired through full chokes. That's what the slanted "riflings" are actually for; to prevent the lead from compressing back on itself as the slug is squeezed through a constriction. They don't actually spin when fired from smoothbore barrels.

The hardened Dixie slugs are not safe in full chokes; they mention that specifically. Or any other slug with straight front-to-back grooves... if there are even any of those still around.

Probably a good idea to get a cyl or IC barrel if you want to shoot a lot of slugs through it, though... just to make cleaning up easier.