CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 12:34 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Straight/English grip Franchi AL48 questions
PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 8:42 pm 
Crown Grade

I've noticed that there are a few Franchis out there available with the English/straight grip. I'm looking for people's opinions on how they handle compared to the pistol grip.

I'm coming from experience with SxS's stocked as such. I'm looking for a my wife - she's shoots left-handed and is uncomfortable with operating the top lever of my SxS and would like something light to shoot. She liked her father's Ithica M38, 6 lbs 2 oz and the recoil didn't bother her, but she had difficulty with the pump action. I was thinking a lightweight autoloader that's proofed for steel shot so she could hit clays, upland birds, and the occasional duck if need be. I thought about A5s, but I'm picky and would only want the lighter Belgian models (NOT proofed for steel :( ).

I don't shoot heavy loads and neither would she. Ultimately I'd like to borrow one to try it out, but I really doubt I could find a loaner with the straight grip.

Any thoughts?

MD

Last edited by mountaindave on Sun Jan 24, 2010 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Straight/English grip Franchi AL48
PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 12:02 am 
Limited Edition

Hey MD, You know which Franchi I'm going to advocate. But I just checked out my standard Pistol grip and its identical on both sides, so should be fine for a southpaw as it felt fine to me holding it left wise. Weight is 5lbs 14 oz. at the gunshop scale and shoots easy on the shoulder with 7/8 oz. load - that being a 720. You might have to adjust/find a new leftie recoil pad - but its slanted ever so slightly and I doubt she would ever notice it under a sweater?? Lastly, of course the safety is opposite but thats just a habit to get used to.

I wish my wife would shoot with my son and I, but that ain't gonna happen. :wink:

Post subject: Re: Straight/English grip Franchi AL48
PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 12:02 pm 
Crown Grade

Yup, I have a feeling there are some regulars who will also give support. :wink: Thanks for checking it out. Every time I try to mount lefty I can hardly get the gun up right. But my wife is learning from the get-go that way so it isn't terribly odd for her.

MD

Post subject: Re: Straight/English grip Franchi AL48 questions
PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:15 am 
Limited Edition

Hi Dave, can't answer you question about straight stocks, but I shoot my 20 gauge 48 (w/PG) from the port side it and works fine. Of course I probably don't sport the same dimensions as your spouse :lol: but can tell you that my gun is cast neutral and shoulders perfectly for me.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:48 pm 
Presentation Grade

I have a 48 with a straight stock. I use it the most of any of my guns. It would not be my choice for non toxic shot. The 2 3/4 20 is not really enough payload. I assume you are talking about a 20. The 3 inch are much better. If i shoot non toxic I use wing master HD.

I was sceptical about buying a straight stocked auto because they look funny, but I really like the way it handles. It is very quick to get to the shoulder and points well for me. I bought it because I have four kids to start shooting and I thought this would be a good gun for my 12 year old daughter to start with. I like it so much I might buy a 720 youth for the kids.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:42 am 
Crown Grade

SDG,

Thanks for the input - it's much appreciated! I should have mentioned that I was looking for a 20 ga., you assumed correctly. 8) I have two girls that I would like to get into shooting and this might be a good gun for that in the future.

About the 2-3/4" chambers, I'm not into heavy field loads and I'm not the type to hand a kid (or my wife :shock: ) a "hot and heavy" load that will kick them like a mule for $h!ts and giggles. I want them to actually enjoy shooting. So 1 oz loads would be about the upper limit (15/16 oz B&P looks like a real winner too!)

Additional question for all:

I've looked at some of the links in this forum for replacement stocks and haven't seen any for English stocks. Anybody know if they are available as an aftermarket item or would I be looking "custom"? The thought would be to get a used AL48 then put an English stock on. That way I could also cut down the semi-pistol grip stock to use with my girls.

MD

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:26 am 
Presentation Grade

I have never seen a used or new English stock for sale by itself.

As to loads, I only shoot 1 ounce and some 7/8 ounce. The one ounce i shoot are Rem and are listed at 1220 FPS. These work well and have little recoil. I shot some Win 7/8 that are a 2 1/2 Dr. equivalent, unknown on the FPS. These did not cycle 100% even with the friction rings set for light loads, but the gun was new at the time and seems to have gotten much smoother now.

I don't like heavy loads either, especially from a light gun. I am just saying that there are very limited options for non-toxic in 2 3/4 available now. I think there are only a few steel offered and more in the "heavier than lead" offerings. I don't have to shoot non-toxic for most of my upland yet, so this works well for me. If we are forced to use only non-toxic, I would really look for a 3 inch 20.

Some clubs require steel for clays and I don't think you would find much available.

It is a great gun, like I said it is my favorite. I actually have the 24 inch barrel also. I think that might have been the only configuration with the straight stock, but I am unsure. Once you get used to the quickness of a light short gun like this for upland, it is hard to go back to a 12 gauge. The 12 gauge I shoot most is a 48 also so it is not exactly heavy either.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 4:53 pm 
Crown Grade

Deleted

Last edited by mountaindave on Sat Mar 06, 2010 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 7:39 pm 
Limited Edition

If I see a 720 on auction, I'll let you know...

I mean a (cough), 48 AL... :wink:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 3:53 pm 
Crown Grade

In the end, I found a Browning BPS Upland Special in 20 ga. and my wife gave the go-ahead. Maybe someday if one comes my way, I'll try it. For now the search is over

Thanks for the help, however! :D

MD