CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:07 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Wood Stock Care
PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:18 am 
Utility Grade

I have a Beretta White Oynx that I have shot about 5 rounds of clays with and of course it has started to lightly rain during a couple of them. I have carefully and meticulously cleaned and wiped down the gun as to prevent rust but I am really at a loss when it comes to caring for the stock. My gun has a nice light finish on the stock and has a more natural look than a thick glossy poly type finish.

I don't want to refinish the wood but would just like to know how to take care of the stock and protect it from the elements. There is a lot of talk about Tru-oil but it sounds like that product leaves a hard glossy finish, I'm not looking for that look.

I did notice that the inside of the foregrip doesn't have any finish on it and I would like to put something on it so that gun oil or moisture doesn't get to it.

What did Beretta use on this wood?

Can you suggest a way to maintain and protect the wood? What should I do about the fore grip?

Thanks

Post subject: Re: Wood Stock Care
PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:41 am 
Tournament Grade

Johnsons Paste floor wax. Use a hair dryer to get it WAY into the forend wood and inside the butt around the action. Under the butt pad too. You can and should wax the whole gun. Wax protects the gun far better than oil. The Limeys have been doing it for a couple centuries now in that waterfall they call an atmosphere, and it works just fine in the colonies too.

WtS

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:11 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I don't like any wax on my stocks nor do I like to refinish any that have had wax applied. It is very difficult to remove when you do need to refinish. And it has to be removed completely or the new finish will not adhere. The best water repellent is a proper built up finish that is on the surface of the stock. You can do this on any of the oil finished stocks by hand rubbing successive coats until you have a good thickness of finish. It does not take a long time and you do not have to have the gun out of commission while you are doing it. Just make sure that you give some time for the last coat to dry before your next shooting date. The product I use dried well in 24 hours.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:05 am 
ID & Value Expert
ID & Value Expert

Renaissance wax is my choice along with the British Museum, NRA Museum, Cody Museum and the Smithsonian and many others.

For years we used Johnson's paste wax but the mycrocrystalline Ren Wax seems to be a much better product.

Google Ren Wax.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:21 am 
Field Grade

I sit on the side of no wax. Wax is a great product and it DOES protect the stock.... especially on those valuable guns that reside in a museum... or even your gun safe that you know you will never want to refinish because of their value or sentiment.

However, on guns that are taken out and used, and if you EVER think you might need to touch up the finish on them or refinish them as they get used, then the wax becomes a pain. As was posted, if you ever want to touch up or refinish a stock, whether it is oil finished or some sort of poly finish, first you have to take off ALL of the wax or the new finish simply won't stick and you will end up with a mess.

If you are convinced that you will NEVER need to refinish your gun or, if you actually HAVE a wax finish (yes, some guns do), then wax away. It is certainly the best protection for the finish that you already have on the gun.

I prefer oil finishes. Several times a season, I will put a couple of drops of oil on my fingers and rub it into the stock using the pressure of my hand to warm the oil and help it penetrate into the wood. It works well for me.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:57 am 
Diamond Grade

Application of waxes can be a slippery slope if you don't know what your doing, what you want or what to expect. I stole my wife's furniture cleaning cloth; an old tee shirt soaked with Milsek furniture polish. I use it to wipe down my stocks, and it instantly brings them to life. It adds a little moisture and sheen with no rubbing, buffing or build-up. It seems to work equally well on both oil and gloss finished stocks.

Last edited by steveziv on Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:41 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:59 am 
Crown Grade

I'm also in the no wax camp and for the reasons explained above. You need to find out if your's is oil or poly. Your dealer and/or Beretta should be able to tell you.

If it's poly then nothing is needed exept perhaps on any unfinished surfaces such as inside the forend, inside the inletting around the action and under the butt pad. I'd use an oil such as BLO or preferably pure teak oil on those areas.

If your wood is oiled I'd agree with cobra and use the same oil choice as for the bare wood areas. Beretta oil finishes generally need a few extra applications to give full protection and the rules are to use the tiniest amounts and if it's touch dry in 2 days, leave it another 2 before adding any more oil.

Robert Browning

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:39 am 
Crown Grade

A5guy wrote:
Renaissance wax is my choice along with the British Museum, NRA Museum, Cody Museum and the Smithsonian and many others.

For years we used Johnson's paste wax but the mycrocrystalline Ren Wax seems to be a much better product.

Google Ren Wax.

The British Museum, NRA Museum, Cody Museum and the Smithsonian do not take their guns outdoors, let them get rained on, get hot in the sun and let dust and grime get ground into the wax they put on them!

It's SxS, DT splinter/English for me!
Shotguns speak in many voices and fortunate are those of us who hear more than one.
May God bless our Union.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:43 pm 
Tournament Grade

You mean like how grit and dirt get ground into the wax on a floor? Oh, wait - I don't remember ever seeing that happen on a proper wax job.

You non-wax guys can use anything you like and more power to ya. 'Specially you rub-the-oil-in guys. You all are a great source of stock refinishing work. Thanks.

WtS

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:48 pm 
Presentation Grade

I use gun stock wax- Birchwood Casey brand. I do like the fact that it protects the wood on my gun from condensation on coming back from cold weather. And it does make any beatup stock look real nice.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:56 pm 
Diamond Grade

Wow. People will draw a line in the sand and fight to the death over just about anything on this forum.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:15 pm 
Presentation Grade

Wax on...wax off. :lol: HHD

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:09 pm 
Tournament Grade

I've been using Howard's Feed n Wax. It's good stuff.

http://www.howardproducts.com/feednwax.htm

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:28 pm 
Limited Edition

howard feed n wax with beeswax and orange oil they sell it at lowe's if you want to remove anything from anything instantly just use methylethylketone in a well ventilated area.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:32 pm 
Presentation Grade

Yes, and hold your breath throughout! HHD

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:56 pm 
Tournament Grade

steveziv wrote:
Wow. People will draw a line in the sand and fight to the death over just about anything on this forum.

NO, people WONT draw a line in the sand and fight to death over just about anything on this forum. You pessimist guys really know how to bring a post down.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Dad - Ruger Red Label
Bro - Winchester Select Field
Wife/Mom - Browning BPS Micro
---------------------
Shoots together, stays together

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:04 am 
Tournament Grade

Getting back to one of the OP's questions regarding protecting the inside of the forearm.

I used a few coats of Watco Finishing Oil. I used an artist's paint brush to apply to the inside of the forearm. After letting it soak in, wipe off the excess with a rag and let dry completely. Step and repeat.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 3:36 am 
ID & Value Expert
ID & Value Expert

I agree that museum guns don't get out in the weather and elements. My guns do, however. I try not to grind dirt, mud and soil into the wood but most of my guns are used for waterfowling and big game hunting. Ren Wax has helped me keep these older quality guns in top shape for many years now.

Also, several years ago, when I had Boss & Company build a bespoke SxS for me, it arrived with a jar of Ren Wax and instructions to use this wax on my gun. It is true that this gun will not sanded down and repainted after each duck season like a M870 Express but the good folks at Boss know a little bit about shotguns and I sort of trust their judjment.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:01 pm 
Utility Grade

Has any one ever used Lin-Speed oil? or a Danish oil? opinions...

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:59 pm 
Tournament Grade

Stupid question from me: how do you keep the wax from getting "caked" in the checkering? I'm sure you still want to wax that but how to do apply it without having it build up since you can't "rub down" in each checkering line?

"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind." - Thomas Jefferson