CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:32 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: A "New" 391 Gas Valve Wrench
PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 3:22 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Actually, this wrench is not exactly new, but AFAIK it has not been discussed here before.

Disassembling the gas valve of a 391 is not something that needs to be done often (unless you use very dirty ammo), but when it does need doing it is a real chore with the little spanner wrenches Beretta provides. I previously reported on a special-purpose wrench called the "WonderSocket", but it is no longer available. A few months ago I stumbled across a wrench similar to the WonderSocket, but better in that it has a shaft to hold it steady and in place while the valve nut is being removed.
At left is the old WonderSocket on a 1/4" ratchet, at center is a 3/8" socket, and on the right is the new style wrench. Below the valve wrench is a 3/8" box wrench. The valve wrench can be used with any type of 3/8" wrench. I have used the box wrench to loosen the nut, then used the ratchet and 3/8" socket to completely remove the nut (it has a very long thread, and takes a lot of screwing to get it off). I think a ratcheting box-end wrench might serve both purposes, but I have not had a chance to try one. The only thing I don't like about this wrench is, it would be easier to use if it would attach directly to a 1/4" ratchet, like the old WonderSocket did.

As illustrated above, the wrench will work with either 12 gauge or 20 gauge guns, as they use some of the same valve parts.

I don't know who makes this wrench - perhaps one of you guys can tell us who does. I bought mine from a Gunsmith from NC named Mike Sherman, who operates as PMS Firearms. http://www.pmsfirearms.com/ He does not make them, but I am sure he could supply them. I paid $40 at his mobil shop last October. I don't know what he would charge to mail you one - his contact info is on the web site. I talked to a friend who is a retired machinist, and he said $40 for a part that complex is a very good price.

Last edited by Seamus O'Caiside on Sat Mar 13, 2010 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: A "New" 391 Gas Valve Wrench
PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:37 am 
Limited Edition

Thanks Seamus.The shaft to fit inside the thread is a big improvement.I still use the one I got from Colegun awhile ago.

Vic.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:28 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Seamus:

I know this is an old thread, but I recently found it while searching for a 391 gas valve wrench and subsequently contacted Mike Sherman. He had one wrench left in stock. The price was now $60 + shipping, but I bought it anyway. He says his supplier has raised the price and the next batch will be a bit higher yet. That doesn't surprise me with all the machine work needed. Set-up time on this item would be the killer. Just thought I'd update this thread and let folks know this wrench is still available, though not cheap.

Romans 8:1

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 3:18 pm 
Diamond Grade

Isn't that the one made by Dan Suggs?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 12:07 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

dickgtax wrote:
Isn't that the one made by Dan Suggs?

Could be. I know Mike Sherman doesn't make them, but he does sell them. I like the pilot shaft that keeps the wrench aligned so it doesn't slip off and mar the barrel.

Romans 8:1

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 1:42 pm 
Field Grade

I have a stuck nut on a 20 ga that is giving me fits. Going to get some Kroil and see if that helps! I actually got a cramp in my shoulder trying to get it off the other day!