CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 4:28 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Image



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: My Experience Loading Lee 1oz 12 Gauge Slugs
PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:14 pm 
Utility Grade

Joined: Sun Jan 24, 2010 6:09 pm
Posts: 16
My Experience Loading Lee 1oz 12 Gauge Slugs

BEFORE you read this you must understand that it is MY journey. It is based on my experience pieced together with what I learned in instruction manuals, reloading manuals, many forum posts, and personal experience along the way. Given the lack of information I found on this topic during my quest, I thought this would be useful to someone, someday.

What got me on the idea of loading slugs? Like much ammunition in 2009 it was available on an intermittent basis or very high priced at best. So I thought…”I already load 9mm, how hard can it be?” (ha ha, the joke is on me)

I started by searching for actual slug “bullets” that I could load. I figured I could buy some slugs and the rest would work itself out. The only slugs I found were specialized hunting slugs and very expensive:

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?p ... ber=557135
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?p ... ber=382704

Pouring over the different slugs, wads, overshot cards, nitro cards, under wad cards, fillers and components I thought “man this might just be way too much to handle…” I continued my search for some “hidden secret” and stumbled on equipment to make your own bullets. My first thought was “no way do I have time to cast my own slugs.” So I gave up for a couple months.

The idea brewed until one day I had a moment to explore the possibility again. I rifled through forum posts and looked at powder manufacturer data, trying to get an idea of what steps and equipment would be involved to make this work. I was reading a lot about “casting”. Casting involved quite basically melting lead and pouring it into molds to create bullets. Back to Midway I went. I just took it one step at a time. What caught my eye was the Lee 1oz slug mold.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?p ... ber=770274

I even got lucky on a bunch of wheel weights from a local tire place. I ordered the slug mold the same week and figured I would collect some lead and have the mold for when I was ready. My goal was to start SLOW and keep the cost LOW in case it did not work out. At this point I hadn’t even chosen a recipe or purchased a reloading press. All I had was the mold, some lead and about 100 empty Remington 12ga Slugger hulls.

Carbon in a Can was recommended by the kind folks who reviewed the Lee slug mold…I never had a problem releasing a slug and I blame that success on this product:

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?p ... ber=763758

But how to get the wheel weights turned into clean lead I could put through the mold? I learned that going from scrap lead to casting is best done as a two-step process. Step one being melt the scrap into ingots and later use the ingots to cast.

Not wanting to get too deep into the project financially I decided to go on the cheap. Going on the cheap can be as gratifying as it is frustrating. Improvising needs to be done to get to the same place one can get to by simply shelling out the bucks for the “right equipment”.

A short trip to the dollar store for $24 got me a 2 quart pot, muffin pan and slotted stainless steel spoon. At home I had a camp stove that runs on gas or camp fuel – so I decided to use that. It’s not great at controlling temperature but it worked for the moment. I set up the stove, pot and filled the bottom inch with wheel weights. It took 20 minutes on a 30 degree day, but the lead started melting. Skimming off the crap (dross) that floats to the top was strange, it’s an odd feeling. You feel like you are caught on something but you aren’t because the liquid lead is so heavy. Anyway, I kept skimming off the dross and tapping the spoon in a plastic bucket, careful not to waste too much lead or splash myself. Careful too not to inhale any TOXIC vapors. Then per much advice I tossed in about ½” piece of white candle wax. That is called fluxing. After that the lead was nice and shiny. BY THE WAY…I was dressed in an insulated full-body mechanic suit with goggles, a mask and gloves. Finally I had enough lead to pour out some “lead muffins”. Each muffin was about 2 pounds, enough for about 30 slugs.

NOTE: The Lee mold instructions say NOT to use wheel weight lead as wheel weights have other alloys and the metal can stick to the mold. Using Carbon in a Can I did NOT have this problem, YET.

Along came Christmas and it was too cold and snowy outside to cast or play with lead. I’m told you CANNOT GET WATER NEAR MOLTEN LEAD as it will erupt in a showering, spitting inferno of spattering lead. I don’t wanna test the theory so DON’T MIX THEM!

I decided to research recipes so I could buy other components. A slug recipe has 5 components: EMPTY HULL, POWDER, WAD, PRIMER, SLUG. Based on your hull, you will need to find a recipe for a powder and wad to fit in the hull…then a primer per the recipe and finally the slug. Not all primers are alike. I was told a few primers “can be” interchanged…but research that yourselves. Some are hotter and that is why you cannot interchange them.

Here are the problems I ran into…

PROBLEM 1: I had a specific type of hull I was looking to reload. Why a problem? I could not find ANY reloading data for these shells. I called Remington and they said “we don’t have any reloading data on those”. After a LOT more research I decided that logically I could treat these as any other tapered Remington hull of similar application. This is not common logic in the reloading world mind you, this is MY logic. After inspecting several Remington hulls I found that my hulls were not only sturdier than most other Remington hulls but even Alliant treated all the Remington hulls as one “hull type” for their recipes. So I decided to treat it as a Remington STS or Gun Club for recipe selection purposes. Even THIS is a huge departure from proper reloading protocol. I accepted that risk and made an informed choice.

Here is the Alliant data:

http://www.alliantpowder.com/reloaders/ ... &gtypeid=3

Other places I looked for recipes and information:

http://www.fcs-texas.com/Choosing_a_sho ... recipe.htm
http://www.leeprecision.com/cgi-data/in ... 203529.pdf
http://data.hodgdon.com/shotshell_load.asp

PROBLEM 2: I wanted to use a specific type of powder but I could not find any recipes using that powder. I won’t bore you with the weeks of trying to rationalize substituting powder to guys in the forums and getting the crap smacked out of me for bringing it up. Bottom line, I did not have a shot shell recipe with this powder…I could not use it.

PROBLEM 3: The recipes that came with the slug mold would seem the most logical to use, right? Not for me. I did not have easy access to the listed powders – and my whole premise for reloading is to make ammo cheaper and more accessible. Other recipes for Lee slugs were also calling for 2 other powders, one I could get the other not. Those loads were also too hot for my tastes.

I needed to find a recipe for the powders I could GET. The problem wasn’t finding recipes. The problem was these recipes were for MEASURED SHOT not SLUGS. Apparently there is debate in the reloading community about substituting SLUGS for SHOT in a recipe listed specifically for shot. Some folks say, “you don’t do it.” Other folks say, “it’s okay to substitute on low power recipes.” Some argue “a shot column compresses upon firing making a unique profile and coefficient of friction down the barrel and affects pressure. A slug would change that dangerously.” Others say, “slugs have less flexible surface area than shot and would create a rigid column with less friction and balance out pressure change with easier travel down the bore.” Who was I supposed to trust my face and fingers to? In the end, I could only trust my judgment.

It wasn’t but for a few brave souls who shared their experiences substituting slug for shot that I gained a rare insight into the little documented area of slug loading. I decided to accept responsibility for my OWN actions and substitute a slug for shot with two requirements. Recipes had to be light and other components had to match exact.

Before other problems, let me share my first casting experience.

One night I had an hour to kill. Not wanting to cast inside due to the fumes I opened the bulkhead a few inches and setup in there. I figured hot air would rise carrying fumes outside at the top and cool air would enter the bottom keeping me ventilated. While the lead was melting I cleaned the mold with acetone on q-tips then sprayed it with carbon. I bent the hell out of an old stainless serving ladle to make a ladle. Holds about 2 ½ ounces of lead and best part is, when it’s full it floats on top of the molten lead where it stays warm until I need to pour again. I read the mold instructions three more times then set to it. Took about 6 slugs before I realized the mold was too cold and then really took off. The first time it took 1 hour to get 13 slugs. The second time, I got 45 in an hour.

TIP: Measure EACH slug after casting to assure it is indeed ONE ounce.

So now I had slugs…that meant actually buying components.

PROBLEM 4: The wads I ordered for the recipe I chose did not fit the Lee slug. The slug was wider than the diameter of the darned shot cup and when I put the slug in the cup the petals bowed out. Now from what I’ve learned this is very bad for several reasons. The Lee slug is smaller than a shotgun barrel. You can actually drop it in one end and catch it coming out the other. The wad petals are supposed accompany the slug down the barrel and take up the difference in space between the slug and the barrel so it rides snug, but not TIGHT. This darn thing with the petals distorted wouldn’t even fit IN the barrel. If I used this wad I SURELY would’ve blown my self up. This is where I learned the value of TEST FITTING EVERYTHING in the gun you will be shooting it out of. A very wise man said to me, “IF IT DON’T FIT, GO NO FURTHER!” Of course the solution to this problem was to choose another recipe so I swallowed my pride and did just that.

At my gun store I noticed they had Windjammer wads. http://windjammer-wads.com/Template.php ... s&-rid=236 It also seems that Windjammer had a recipe to fit my EXACT components…substituting the slug for 1oz of shot. I got a lot of well deserved flack about the substitution, but as I said above I was willing to take the risk. If I was wrong it was my fingers that would pay the price after all. So I took a molded slug and the recipe down to the gun store to test fit the wad. It fit perfectly.

For a press I chose the Lee Loadall II, for it’s simplicity in operation and price. Plus the reviews are all very good. You can see the product here and a video from Google too of someone loading slugs:

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?p ... ber=436640
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 648660322#

I found the press VERY easy to setup and mount…was ready to go in an hour, and that included triple testing the weight measure dropped by the correct powder bushing.

PROBLEM 5: Remember those good ole Remington Slugger hulls I said I would be using? Yeah…those. Well those have a factory ROLL CRIMP. If you don’t know what a roll crimp is, like I didn’t…then check this out:

http://www.ballisticproducts.com/bpi/ar ... imping.htm

The Lee Load all 2 produces a star-fold crimp like you see on most shot shells. Despite my best efforts I could NOT get the Load All to put a star crimp on previously roll crimped shells. So now I was off in ANOTHER direction. Roll crimping. After a week or so I learned what it was, how to do it, the benefits and draw backs.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?p ... ber=730142

Once my roll crimper arrived. I got the hang of it quickly enough, but…

PROBLEM 6: The problem was on my factory crimped shells, Remington Slugger crimps use WAY MORE plastic than my crimp tool does. Factory slugs crimp down about ½ way down the length of the slug. In MY shells the slug sits in a wad cup surrounded by petals between the slug and hull wall. Those petals are in the way of a deep crimp and there is no way to get the plastic past them without deforming the crimp AND the wad. My crimps looked good but were too tall. Common sense said, “that is way too much plastic to have bunched up on top of that slug.” Back to the forums where I sent pictures and garnered all sorts of advice. I called BPI who makes the crimp tool and Lee. Both confirmed I needed to TRIM plastic off the case. So I researched how to do that with a hull vice and trimmer. My hull vice is a piece of ¾” PVC trimmed to the desired finished length of my trimmed hull. When I insert the hull, extra plastic sticks out. My jigsaw takes care of that quickly, a little sand paper and she’s good to load. With an overshot card sitting on top of the slug I was able to get a good, tight crimp about 1/8” tall.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?p ... ber=188808

Suffice to say after all this every load I tested performed really well. I learned that picking up any old 12ga shell at the range won’t cut the mustard. Each hull VERY different and needs its own specific wad and powder measure. They are right when they say, find ONE recipe like and stick with it. If you insist on collecting shells from the range you must also collect different wads, powders, possibly primers and definitely a bunch of different recipes.

The following wads will hold the Lee 1oz slug:

Windjammer http://windjammer-wads.com/Template.php ... s&-rid=236
WAA12SL http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?p ... ber=862303
WAA12 http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?p ... ber=845988
FED12SO http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?p ... ber=733985

Midway lists Claybuster CB1118-12 is a direct substitute for WAA12SL. CB1118-12 does NOT fit the Lee 1oz slug. The Lee 1oz slug will not fit in a Figure 8 wad either.

In this thread are all the sources I used to assemble the recipes I used. In assembling them I had to make a substitution of slug for shot, which is VERY dangerous. When it comes to recipes please research your own, decide for yourself, don’t take my or someone else’s word or experience as gospel. BE SAFE and GOOD LUCK!

These recipes are for informational purposes only:

REMINGTON SLUGGER HULLS - TRIMMED
ALLIANT AMERICAN SELECT (see Alliant for data)
WIN 209 PRIMER
WINDJAMMER 12100 1OZ WAD
LEE 1OZ SLUG
BPI OVERSHOT CARD
1/8” ROLL CRIMP

REMINGTON GUN CLUB HULLS
ALLIANT AMERICAN SELECT (see Alliant for data)
WIN 209 PRIMER
WINDJAMMER 12100 1OZ WAD
LEE 1OZ SLUG
8 STAR CRIMP

KENT VELOCITY (CHEDDITE) HULLS
ALLIANT AMERICAN SELECT (see Windjammer for data)
WIN 209 PRIMER
FEDERAL 12SO WAD
LEE 1OZ SLUG
6 STAR CRIMP

Special thanks to:

Carrier Joe
Shoot2reload
Curly-Nohair
Billkny
OldSkeeter
greg5278

_________________
Steve
www.zombieoutfitters.net
----------------------------------------------------
Member: NRA, GOAL
Range: Mass Rifle Association
Range: Northern York County Rod and Gun


Last edited by zombieoutfitters on Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: My Experience Loading Lee 1oz 12 Gauge Slugs
PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:28 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 09, 2008 3:07 pm
Posts: 1477
Location: Colorado or flying well overhead
Zombie,


It's a good topic, for all the time, effort and organization you have put into it.

If I were you, I would continue to edit and refine it over time, as information becomes available to you.


(1) I noticed that you made no mention (per my cursory reading) of the Lyman Slug Mold, which is made of steel, rather than
AL---YOU--MINIUM. Don't get me wrong. I'm not recommending anything worse than outright flogging.

I have a few other criticisms of your article; however, they are respectful criticisms, and in keeping with a recognition of your good intentions and porpoises.

(2) I noticed you claimed to have read only good recommendations for the Lee Load All II.

I am a modest critic of it, and others are far more critical of it than I am. It is a limited machine compared to the MEC 600. I think you should at least acknowledge that criticisms of the Lee are evident. The crimp station is not adjustable at the very least.

.

_________________
.

"Hmmm, load first ask later, kinda backards ain't it, sport? Where you been anyway?"--------Curly-Nohair




Last edited by Calisto on Fri Feb 05, 2010 6:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: My Experience Loading Lee 1oz 12 Gauge Slugs
PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:46 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 09, 2008 3:07 pm
Posts: 1477
Location: Colorado or flying well overhead
.


(4 ) The arguments in the manner of DO'S & DON'T's could be better clarified.

As written, it makes it look like reloading advice is only personal opinion, without an account of chamber pressures and published recipes based upon that. There's a line one crosses, only when he is willing to accept a legal liability.

So, YES, there are alterations and deviations which one can use. It doesn't bar legal liability such as powder companies are subject to. This is in addition to our own personal risk.

You and I are both willing to accept responsibility for our own actions. That is not the crux of the difficulty when experiments are undertaken. The crux of the difficulty is when someone publishes recipes which are variant. The rubber hits the road in the public media, and not so much in private experimentation.

That's sufficient commentary to kick off your topic. It's not a bad effort at all Zombie. All of those links and your efforts to inform are all helpful, I'm sure.

.

_________________
.

"Hmmm, load first ask later, kinda backards ain't it, sport? Where you been anyway?"--------Curly-Nohair




Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: My Experience Loading Lee 1oz 12 Gauge Slugs
PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:38 pm 
Field Grade

Joined: Thu Jul 16, 2009 12:36 pm
Posts: 31
I think your post is very helpful.
I too have slowly amassed reloading equipment and supplies,only to fined out
I needed something....else.
00 Buck is what I have been loading and rather well.
Soon I will be casting slugs(from the Lee) And will bookmark this
post as a reference to start from.

Thanks again for the effort.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: My Experience Loading Lee 1oz 12 Gauge Slugs
PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:12 pm 
Crown Grade

Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2004 12:21 am
Posts: 3087
Location: South Texas
so, how did they shoot? Do they group good?

_________________
Grand Dad called me Mismost because I did. I don't anymore.
Good Shooting!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: My Experience Loading Lee 1oz 12 Gauge Slugs
PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:29 pm 
Crown Grade
User avatar

Joined: Fri Aug 25, 2006 5:24 pm
Posts: 5376
I still say you shouldn't reinvent the wheel. Use a dedicated slug recipe instead of one for lead shot. Your powder is WAY too fast for this application.

Try these:
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: My Experience Loading Lee 1oz 12 Gauge Slugs
PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:58 am 
Tournament Grade
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 30, 2009 6:19 pm
Posts: 154
Shoot2reload wrote:
I still say you shouldn't reinvent the wheel. Use a dedicated slug recipe instead of one for lead shot. Your powder is WAY too fast for this application.


I also load the Lee Drive Key Slug and Iuse a recipe that calls for Herco, which is almost as fast.
I think stating that it's WAY too fast is a little overkill.
Herco is intended for 1 1/8-1 1/4oz loads so it's pretty fast.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: My Experience Loading Lee 1oz 12 Gauge Slugs
PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:04 pm 
Crown Grade
User avatar

Joined: Fri Aug 25, 2006 5:24 pm
Posts: 5376
I think you're misunderstanding what a "fast" powder is. That means fast burning, not that it's for fast velocities. Very different meaning.

Red Dot, Clays, 700x are fast powders. Herco, Longshot, Blue Dot are slow powders.

Herco is perfect for slugs, but this guy's using American Select, which burns at a much faster rate.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: My Experience Loading Lee 1oz 12 Gauge Slugs
PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:42 pm 
Utility Grade

Joined: Sun Jan 24, 2010 6:09 pm
Posts: 16
As a followup, yes I only evaluated the Lee mold. It was my first go around so quite obviously I selected one mold and went to town, rather than being able to critique the other molds...I can only relay what I know about this mold. I'm quite sure there are PLENTY of other quality products out there, I just have not used them yet...and for the money, Lee worked better than I expected. :D

Thanks for your comments and glad to have sparked a little conversation.

_________________
Steve
www.zombieoutfitters.net
----------------------------------------------------
Member: NRA, GOAL
Range: Mass Rifle Association
Range: Northern York County Rod and Gun


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: My Experience Loading Lee 1oz 12 Gauge Slugs
PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:16 am 
Tournament Grade
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 30, 2009 6:19 pm
Posts: 154
Shoot2Reload,

I knew what a fast powder was.
I just think Herco is also a pretty fast powder although not as fast as clays or universal.
It's lot faster burning than Blue Dot or Longshot.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: My Experience Loading Lee 1oz 12 Gauge Slugs
PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 3:13 am 
Crown Grade
User avatar

Joined: Fri Aug 25, 2006 5:24 pm
Posts: 5376
Tomahawk54 wrote:
I knew what a fast powder was.

I'm still not sure you do, because you say this:
Tomahawk54 wrote:
I just think Herco is also a pretty fast powder...

Herco has an RQ (relative quickness) of 56.1, and you call that fast!?

American Select is faster than Green Dot, and you seem to think it's fine to fire slugs with? Or are you just interested in arguing? :?

Click and learn.

http://www.reloadbench.com/burn.html


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: My Experience Loading Lee 1oz 12 Gauge Slugs
PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 8:45 am 
Limited Edition

Joined: Thu Apr 01, 2004 1:02 pm
Posts: 492
Shoot2reload wrote:
I still say you shouldn't reinvent the wheel. Use a dedicated slug recipe instead of one for lead shot. Your powder is WAY too fast for this application.

Try these:
Image


He's looking for a "reduced recoil" slug load, around 1,200 FPS MV. American Select (or the powder I'd use, Green Dot) will do that very nicely. The slower powders like HS-6 or Herco won't.

DC


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: My Experience Loading Lee 1oz 12 Gauge Slugs
PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 8:54 am 
Crown Grade
User avatar

Joined: Fri Aug 25, 2006 5:24 pm
Posts: 5376
.45 COLT wrote:
He's looking for a "reduced recoil" slug load, around 1,200 FPS MV. American Select (or the powder I'd use, Green Dot) will do that very nicely. The slower powders like HS-6 or Herco won't.

So you have no safety concerns in subbing a slug for shot--is that what you're saying?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: My Experience Loading Lee 1oz 12 Gauge Slugs
PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:28 am 
Limited Edition

Joined: Thu Apr 01, 2004 1:02 pm
Posts: 492
I'm saying that, for his application, a relatively fast powder is required.

As to safety concerns, I made no mention of that, but now that you bring it up, no, I would have no concerns about using his loads. All his loads are low-pressure shot loads, and I believe that Lead is Lead. I don't tell anybody else to believe (or disbelieve) that, just my thought.

DC


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: My Experience Loading Lee 1oz 12 Gauge Slugs
PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:38 am 
Utility Grade

Joined: Sun Jan 24, 2010 6:09 pm
Posts: 16
...and it is this EXACT discussion which illustrates why I posted this thread.

Conflict of "opinion" was a lot of what I was getting, and still am despite my success. Reality is we are in a realm where logic and reason dictate more than one solution is available. Just because it has not been published by a manufacturer does not mean it does not exist or that it is not safe...if undertaken PROPERLY.

There is an abundance of load data available. Components in all shapes and sizes. For shot. For slugs the choices for my tastes are few. Of those choices most are high pressure loads. Personally, I wouldn't recommend a first-time slug loader even attempt high pressure loads. Can you imagine a beginner making a critical mistake in recipes over 10,000psi? Frankly, given my experience, it seems a tad reckless to even suggest beginners start with some of those loads.

I'm not advocating we should all go out and make our own recipes. In fact my approach was ALL about safety first and innovation second. Just remember without innovation we'd still be shooting flintlock's.

When undertaken safely, with a LOT of thinking things through, research and common sense it is my firm belief that one could theoretically move past the "gospel loads" manufacturers CHOOSE to provide and find things that work just as well if not better. If an individual is not comfortable and willing to accept the personal risk in doing such a thing, they should stick to published loads. I, however, had needs published data was not meeting.

Regardless of your opinion on the matter - I greatly appreciate all the responses. During the process I considered all points of view equally, and will continue to do so.

_________________
Steve
www.zombieoutfitters.net
----------------------------------------------------
Member: NRA, GOAL
Range: Mass Rifle Association
Range: Northern York County Rod and Gun


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: My Experience Loading Lee 1oz 12 Gauge Slugs
PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:53 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 09, 2008 3:07 pm
Posts: 1477
Location: Colorado or flying well overhead
Quote:
Conflict of "opinion" was a lot of what I was getting, and still am despite my success. ----ZombieOutfitters



This is misleading.

It presumes that the only public communications you are getting are opinions .

This is why we recommend Lyman's 5th Edition and so forth. It is based upon scientific data.

It is also why our local experts are arguing FACTS.

However, when you read the differing posts, you refer to them as only Opinions thus neglecting to distinguish between scientific FACT and personal Opinion .




Quote:
Reality is we are in a realm where logic and reason dictate more than one solution is available.----ZombieOutfitters


(1) That is an evident irrationalism.

(2) Reality may indicate that by scientific fact and logic, variant loads are unsafe.

It is not rational nor safe, to claim that more than one solution is available Without being specific.
Generalized statements about properly don't have substantial meaning, unless describing specific loads.


So when the opinion of one member meets the Burn Comparison Chart of another member, it does not make specific sense to claim that these are merely conflicting opinions.

If someone indicates by his opinion, that he is not taking SAFETY into consideration, some alarm is warranted.
LOGIC & REASON are not testing reloads. It is people that are at risk.

____________________________________________________________________


In addition, your statement above makes reference to something termed success.

That is neither a scientific term nor an indication of a fact.

Success in this context, can only mean that no damage to a gun or a person is evident, ... yet.


Moreover, I just read your initial posting again. At no point in that lengthy post, do you indicate what PROPERLY is.


So, you see, your ideas are of interest, and show commendable effort; but a caveat which shows that we ain't got blowed up yet, is a lower standard, doncha think?
.


.

_________________
.

"Hmmm, load first ask later, kinda backards ain't it, sport? Where you been anyway?"--------Curly-Nohair




Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: My Experience Loading Lee 1oz 12 Gauge Slugs
PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:13 pm 
Utility Grade

Joined: Sun Jan 24, 2010 6:09 pm
Posts: 16
Calisto wrote:
Quote:

So, you see, your ideas are of interest, and show commendable effort; but a caveat which shows that we ain't got blowed up yet, is a lower standard, doncha think?
.


Hi Calisto. A very intelligent response, I have to say! I enjoyed it very much.

I believe I grasp what you are saying and if I do then, yes, I agree that opinions only arise when folks differ in their thoughts about varying from published data. Some are of the opinion it is acceptable if certain precautions and risks are taken, others not. Additionally one can only speak factually when comparing hard and fast scientifically derived results. EG. comparing pressures of one load vs another is not an opinion, it is comparing fact.

I also agree that logic and reason dictate variant loads are inherently unsafe. However the notion that the opposite may also true in some cases must be equally accepted otherwise no new recipes would ever be developed and tested. That is all I am saying. I cannot back up my tests with any data (yet) other than the fact that they did not go boom. As you say it is PEOPLE testing loads (me) not logic and reason.

Yes, I acknowledge I stepped out on a limb in my experience. I accepted the personal risk based on what I feel, for me, was an informed decision. I also agree that, and I LOVE this by the way, "I aint got blowed up yet" is not an indication that recipes I tested are safe.

It's true, I cannot speak in specifics about the safety of the recipes I tested. I have no data or facts to back that up. There is also no data or facts to show they are unsafe either.

Thanks for your acknowledgment of my efforts. I appreciate your contribution and taking the time to challenge my logic. Well done.

_________________
Steve
www.zombieoutfitters.net
----------------------------------------------------
Member: NRA, GOAL
Range: Mass Rifle Association
Range: Northern York County Rod and Gun


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: My Experience Loading Lee 1oz 12 Gauge Slugs
PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:06 pm 
Tournament Grade

Joined: Fri Sep 04, 2009 12:51 pm
Posts: 132
i bought a lee slug mold and made 20 in a hour or so. i kept it hot with a torch, as i melted 3-4 0z lead in my 2 cup ladel.(its big, im a plumber and use it to pour pipe joints) i used mapp gas, as long as the mold was hot it poped the slugs out well. just before i poured, i aimed the torch down the entrance of the moldfor 3 or so seconds. after its filled to the top, you can see the lead get hard, a few seconds. i opened mine up fast, and gave it a few taps witha wood dowel- slug comes rite out. if i let it cool, the slug would have to be melted off with the torch. no harm was made to the mold. now i have to get wads that fit, i will use the suggested above, if i can find them. i need to weigh them as well. i think ill follow published powder recipies for my own safty as well. thanx for the info, i can make slugs now.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Registered users: aya16, BGK, Bing [Bot], bojo, bowhunter13, Bubzola, buddy beagle, Buffering, Cantey, canuck, cbxchris, cfrock, Cheffish, Corvus270, Dbl Auto, DLC1951, dogchaser37, dthudon, EdSolomons, EnVmyIX, epic1856, etech69, federal, Flounder62, Flues16, flyfisher117, GaryH1, gmorr57, Gone shootin, Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], Google Feedfetcher, grade6man, HogRider357, hopper810, HTDUCKMAN, JacksBack, Jbarila, jcroelandt, jdtrio, jharrington, Jim Flynn, Jimslim, jpwheels, jrmev, laxcoach, leadshot, lowgun, mactownbob, marist89, mddan, MHWH, mike orlen, niner, NWGA, pheasent89, PJDiesel, planecrazy29, plannerman, Rastoff, rickeroo, Road Man, SaltyDawg88, Sand Man, sera, ShowMe2, simsy9, sitsinhedges, Syreel, talbtimber, texasislandboy, Trouptc, WAGinVA, winmod21, Yahoo [Bot], Yuma Hunter, z28b


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group     -  DMCA Notice