CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Sat Nov 22, 2014 6:45 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: high rib gun for skeet?
PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 8:43 pm 
Utility Grade

I was looking at getting a browning XS Special. I mostly shoot skeet but also on occasion trap and sporting clays. Would the high rib version or the low rib version of this gun be better for what I want to do?

Post subject: Re: high rib gun for skeet?
PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 12:03 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Trap guns are designed for the shooter to be able to see and break a rising target. Not only is the rib elevated, but the top of the stock is parallel with the rib.
Skeet guns are designed with lower ribs and stocks angled downward, making it easier to break crossing targets.
Sporting clays guns (in my opinion) are somewhere in the middle. This might be the model for you, but regardless of which you choose, consider having an adjustable comb and butt pad installed. This allows you to get the best overall gun fit, and a gun that fits you will definitely result in higher scores.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 1:07 am 
Crown Grade

The million dollar question,
At what distance are the barrel regulated????

Most trap barrel are regulated for around 35 yards, while most skeet guns are regulated for around 22 yards.

Also, granted that a high rib trap gun may be set up to shoot high at such longer distances (12 to 18" high), does is also hold try for shorter distances as well?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 6:53 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

The bottom barrel of an over and under has a rib that is more than an inch high in relation to it. WHere is it regulated is a relevant question with every gun, not just high ribbed guns.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 1:04 pm 
Diamond Grade

Dano523 wrote:
Most trap barrel are regulated for around 35 yards, while most skeet guns are regulated for around 22 yards.

This begs the question, at what distance are field and/or sporting guns regulated?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 4:41 pm 

1000 yards. Duh.

Kill 'em all

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 5:15 pm 
Tournament Grade

In 2010 browning catalog they say the high post rib on the xs special is ideal for skeet and sporting clays as is the low post rib. Go figure.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:07 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

remoil wrote:
In 2010 browning catalog they say the high post rib on the xs special is ideal for skeet and sporting clays as is the low post rib. Go figure.

I`m with you. They don`t provide a whole lot of info.
They could do much better.
Regards, Pete

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:24 pm 
Utility Grade

IMO rib ht has more to do with personal preference when it comes to skeet and clays. I watch some very, very good shooters at our club use either. If you are concerned about getting the best scores possible, be sure to have your gun fitted. And, an adjustable comb will let you change your POI for the game you are shooting.

--Jayhawker

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:00 pm 
Crown Grade

I have a Browning XS Special low rib, I use it for all clay target games. The XS Special stock is parallel. The XS Special high rib actually has quite a bit of ramp to it, it is different than a XT rib. I had an XS Skeet at one time which is esentally the same gun as the XS Special just different length barrels. It (the high rib gun) just shot way too high for me (more than 8" @20 yards). I like the low rib version, I shoot it well.

NSCA #551026
FORUMS are ENTERTAINMENT. They don't teach shooting! Watch anonymous big talkers. You get a tip, not a system. Some will have you chasing your tail from eye dominance to ???

Want to *really* shoot? Get a coach & work your a$$ off.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:50 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

I like high post ribs, so long as they are parallel to the bore if the gun. This is not how most high rib gins are set up. The ribs are much higher at the chamber end than at the muzzle end, which makes them shoot high.

This configuration is great on Trap guns, but is a detriment in Skeet and Sporting guns, unless you like to float targets well above the rib. Most people do not like this and therefore the flat ribs are much preferred for Skeet and Sporting, by the majority of shooters.

DLM