CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:59 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Marlin 1893 .410?
PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:29 pm 
Tournament Grade

Is anyone here familiar with a Marlin 1893 .410?
I have an opportunity to buy a standard version, but don't know how desirable this model is or how strong the collectors market will be for this unique firearm. From what I have learned, they were never a cataloged item, made in standard and deluxe versions. They were only available from 1929-1932 to people who purchased four shares or more of Marlin stock at $25 each.
I understand that condition is everything in collecting arms, but have always been willing to accept a little wear on harder to find models; having never been refinished, this one shows a considerable amount finish wear, but is mechanically sound, the action is tight and the bore is outstanding.
Any and all assistance will be greatly appreciated.

My life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a nice and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming 'WOW…What a Ride!'

Post subject: Re: Marlin 1893 .410?
PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 4:34 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

To each his own. For investments, I either want my conservatively managed value fund or I'll pick out some stock with a name I've heard all my life, that's paying dividends, and isn't priced forty times earnings. I buy guns for fun.

I've read about that Marlin "stock purchase" gun all my life. if it was a couple or three hundred dollars, looked good, and I thought it would make a dandy .410 shotgun, I'd buy it. But I sure wouldn't "invest" in it, or any other gun, for that matter.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 10:24 pm 
Tournament Grade

Thanks for your thoughts and advice.
My investment and stock portfolio seem to be doing a little better in the past few months and my 401K and IRA's are all market driven; mostly mid-large cap, but against my investment counselors advice I still can't bring myself to invest the majority of my holdings in the foreign markets. My LLC has made the "Metro 50" the last five consecutive years, although we slipped a few places this past award, finishing only 14th out of 50. I sold off the real estate/properties through my other business, which is a holding company; it may have been a bad move...you know what they say; they don't make dirt anymore...but things have really stagnated.
Buying, selling and shooting firearms is a very enjoyable hobby of mine and if I can profit form a sale it just sweetens the pot, even if it's only $50; that will almost buy a case of shotgun shells or a tank of diesel fuel to get to the range.

Any-hooo...enough of my retirement planning and back to the matter at hand.

I have found three for sale on-line at this time; $1295, $1749 and $1950 respectively. The one that's available locally could be acquired for around $1000 and looks at least as nice as the cheapest I found listed on the web.

My life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a nice and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming 'WOW…What a Ride!'

Last edited by S&W 10 on Sat Feb 06, 2010 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 10:38 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I wonder how much the 4 shares of Marlin at $25 each in 1929 held up?

I don't think,,,although I can't swear to it,,,,that Marlin actually ever went bankrupt after 1929. I know that Marlin bought L.C. Smith in 1945, and that the Kenna family owned it for many years until it was sold out to Smith and Wesson,,,I think,,,in fairly recent times.

Wouldn't it be interesting to see how the stock compared to the freebie gun?

Or was it a freebie? Did you get the right to buy it at a certain price?

For a thousand bucks, you aren't going to have to sell the house if things don't work out. :wink:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:06 pm 
Tournament Grade

I really don't know too much about Marlin's or the company history, but just from quickly researching the .410 model this afternoon, I believe it was free with the purchase.

Hummm; free with purchase...
I wonder how many box tops you'd have to send in to get a free shotgun sold by them nowadays that will shoot and last 80 years?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 2:35 am 
Tournament Grade

I had one and traded it off for cash and trade (950.00) and went to the Claud Hall gunshow today and saw my very own gun for sale for 1100! I wish I could have known it would be there for sale again . I may go back again tommorow and trade off a 1911 (1917 comercial) for it!

They are very rare and hard to find with a 18XX ser#!

Bob

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 3:16 pm 
Tournament Grade

bobbyjack...That's the same one I was/am looking at. I just left the show and James still has it and a partial box of shells on his table; he said it works and functions great, but the finish loss is the only thing that has me hesitant in making the purchase.

Sure hope you get it back so I don't end up buying something else I really don't need. :)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 3:48 pm 
ID & Value Expert
ID & Value Expert

I bought a really nice one in about 1995 for $450. Condition will be the driving force with these guns. Mine is insured for $1000.

If the gun that you guys are looking at sells, please, let me know.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:47 pm 
Tournament Grade

A5guy...Will do.

In this case I was told he (the dealer) bought two from a little old man who's father owned a hardware store that sold Marlin's and had possessed both since he was 12 years old. He only sold them because he could no longer use them and would rather have the money then the shotguns.
I'd like to verify this, just for curiosity's sake; maybe Bobbyjack knows the details and will let us know.
If I do end up buying this I'll let you know what was paid, but hopefully Bobbyjack will get it back, if he hasn't already.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:10 pm 
Tournament Grade

No I never went back to try and get it back ,I would have had to trade other guns just as rare and hard to find.

The finnish on that old 1929 gun was pure patina,never refinnished never messed with.

If you found one of those old depression era guns that was nicely blued ,It would bring better than 2 large!

I wish could have kept it ,but with cash and trades I got my money back on it.

If I thought my 4 year old Grandson would ever really appreciate it ,then I would have tryed to get it back.

But James informed me that the two ice storms had taken a great hit on him and everybody else ,and cash was king.

Whom ever gets it will appreciate it as much as the Win 1873 that was just like it (all patina) next table over at 1300. The 73 would probably bring about 5,000.00 if in better shape ,samo samo!

Good to see we are on the same page,could you E-mail me James's bussiness phone# or actual address(understand he has a bike shop).

Bob

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:00 am 
Crown Grade

$1000 seems to be the going rate for those that I have seen, I bought one in near new shape with 22" barrel a couple years after A5guy for $800 including a few extras. I really wanted one so I was willing to pay a premium for it. This is the second gun of this model in the family, one of my great uncles received a Deluxe model with 26" barrel in the early 30's as a dividend payment on the stock he already owned, at least that is what the paperwork says. I have no idea as to how the stock had appreciated since he bought it as that was kept by his kids.
The one I bought was sold to the public, it was a cataloged item though maybe available only to certain dealers as it does not seem every dealer had access to them.
There was a safety warning regarding these guns but I do not recall what it was about. I heard of it before I owned one and since acquiring my own and then my great uncle's, I have not looked it up as these are not shooters to me.