CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:24 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Pardner 20 ga Hunting / Survival
PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 8:03 pm 
Utility Grade

Hi All,

My defenses are slowly, slowly weakening and I think I may end up getting a Pardner in 20 ga. I want to use it for squirrel and maybe deer if it shoots slugs halfway decent plus survival preparedness. The question is, which choke should I get, Full or Modified? How far will the Modified shoot for squirrel hunting and can I shoot slugs out of a Full choke?

Thanks in advance!

-Kevin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:33 pm 
Limited Edition

I wouldn't shoot slugs out of a full choke barrel...You could probably do it, but accuracy would most likely suffer as a result. Modified would be the way to go if those are your only two choices...I do not know how far a 20GA with a modified choke will accurately and humanely harvest squirrels.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:01 am 
Tournament Grade

id get the modified however ive got a pardner turkey with the fixed full choke and it shot slugs preety well but the modified would be a better all around shotgun imo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 2:01 pm 
Tournament Grade

You can buy the Pardner with a black polymer stock and screw in choke tubes. It comes with a Mod tube installed. Imp. Cyl and Full are available too. The Imp. Cyl would be fine with slugs. I have one in 20 ga., it's great.

If you do buy one with a fixed choke, get the Mod. It is plenty tight. You will kill squirrels at 40 yards with it.

Lock and Load!

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 11:28 am 
Limited Edition

Your mention of shooting slugs says to me that you might be interested in going after medium-to-large game with your gun, such as deer or coyote.
Thus, what H&R once told me might be of interest to you, as an alternate plan.

Don't get the shotgun. Get the "Handi-Rifle" and then get a shotgun barrell along with it.

The Handi-Rifle's receiver is made stronger than the shotgun's receiver, so it can withstand a more powerful load.
However, the design of the receiver is similar enough, that it will accept the shotgun barrel.
According to them, you can shoot the shotgun barrel in the rifle receiver, but not the other way around....in fact, they won't even sell it to you that way (getting a rifle barrel for a shotgun receiver). You HAVE to have the Handi-Rifle receiver, if you want to shoot a centerfire cartridge, as opposed to a shotgun shell.
...anyway, a .30-30 round will reach out farther, more accurately, than a slug ever will.

Just another way of looking at it.

If you MUST do slugs, do a little research and get the fixed choke barrel, but in the most open choke you can get that is tighter than "cylinder bore".
It'll be more effective in close quarters ("Home protection") situations while still being useful for hunting, and it will offer the least amount of stress on the barrel, when shooting the slug.
The fixed choke barrel should be a less expensive buy and the fact that there's no attachements, means there's less to go wrong, too.

JMHO

Dean

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 10:40 pm 
Presentation Grade

I have a 20 gauge pardner.
- If I were only going to use it for squirrels, I'd choose MOD over FULL choke.
- If I were only going to use it for slugs, I'd choose MOD over FULL choke.

Uh....so if I were choosing a gun for both, I'd go with MOD.

ETA: Checking the date of the original post, I'm assuming the decision's been made already.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 7:49 am 
Field Grade

I too plan to get a 20 ga barrel for my SB1 Frame as an all around carry with me gun. I'm looking at the 22 inch modified youth barrel that will give me a 37.5 " shotgun. I've never had a problem with the modified 12 ga that came on it for squirrels. As DeanMk said; look at the Handi Rifle instead of slug if you have that choice. I have one in .30-30 but as stated earlier you shouldn't put rifle barrels on shotgun (SB1) frames.

Post subject: Re: Re: Pardner 20 ga Hunting / Survival
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:13 am 
Limited Edition

jpshaw,

One thing I learned about short barrels on H&R's....makes 'em "whippy", when trying to track a bird.
I've got a 25" barrel I had opened to modified, on my 088 Topper.
If you can take a second and get a bead on the target (like hunting pheasant, or sometimes when shooting trap), you can do fairly well.
However, trying to track a bird in a crossing shot takes a lot of "technique", because the gun is so weight rearward (in a manner of speaking) that one can tend to over control the gun.
I'm currently looking at replacing my 25" barrel with a 30" modified barrel that I found at Numrich's website.
I'm hoping the extra 5" will put enough heft out front, so I can get a smoother track on the birds (and the clays!).

DeanMk

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 7:27 am 
Field Grade

Most of my hunting will be squirrels and rabbits. If I have any trouble "tracking" with it I will just slap the 28 inch (27.5) 12 Ga back on it but thanks for the tip though.

Post subject: Re: Re: Pardner 20 ga Hunting / Survival
PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:53 pm 
Limited Edition

Lucky man! =)