CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:42 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 5 Stand and Sporting Clays shell selection
PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2004 7:55 pm 
Field Grade

I'm confused. What should I be looking for when I buy 12G shells for 5 Stand and Sporting Clays? I'm using a Citori 525 Sporting 12G w/ IC & C chokes. I was told to switch to IM & M chokes because the targets are pretty far in both catagories at the place I shoot.

What is DR. EQ.? What should I look for in DR. EQ.?

What should I look for in the FPS and how is this determined? (Does it have something to do with the DR. EQ.?)

I've been buying anything from Win Super X (3 1/4 Dr.Eq., 1oz, 7 1/2 shot) to Win AA Super Sport (1350 FPS, 1oz, 7 1/2 shot.)

Some of the boxes say Target Load, some say Sporting Clays, and some say Game loads. Differences?

Obviously the cost is different and I don't exactly know what I am paying for when I pay the extra for the AA Super Sport, other than the cost would seem I am getting a better load for the intended purpose. It would seem that if there is a difference in FPS that I should choose one and stick with it. I would love to drop to a less expensive load if I could without sacrificing. These are running around $4 to $4.50 a box.

Post subject: Re: 5 Stand and Sporting Clays shell selection
PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2004 11:26 am 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

The chose of shotguns shells can be a little confusing since there are so many types and loadings available. I perfer a lighter load that has a dram eq of around 3 in 1 1/8 oz or 3 1/4 in 1 oz. I've shot all the high price loadings and have found no real advantage in either the cost factor or clay breaking potential. Right now I shoot only Wolf or Estate Ammuntion which is rated at 3 1/4 Dr. EQ with a 1 oz. load. Their around $31.00 a case. I have never shot a round of sporting clays or 5 stand wishing that I had bought the more expensive round nor have I missed a bird due to a cheaper round, it was missed because of the shooter not the shell. :wink:

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 11:23 am 
Tournament Grade

I use LM LM for most things. When it's really far out, I will choke down a bit.

On a sporting course, I use 3 different shells.
1 oz #8 for skeet-trap type shots. 11/8 #7.5 3 dram for the longer ones and 11/8 7.5 31/4 dram for the long bombs. That way, I'm not spinning chokes and getting more variables in the mix.
A skeet choke will kill a 60 yarder if you put the lead in the right place. Try it. Stand on station 7 and take a low 7 just before it hits the ground.
Remember 'Speed Kills'

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 11:46 pm 
Tournament Grade

unlessyou have a very wide 5 stand set up #8 shot will dust everything thrown and it's mostly what you like or if you reload as to what shells you buy.a 1oz load will do most things you ask of it to do in 5 stand ..but if you want the extra go for the 1 1/8 oz these really shine on the clays course ..tony

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2004 4:58 am 
3 dram and 3 dram+ is a lot of recoil.
I use a 1 0z. #8 shotAA reload at 1200FPS = about 2 3/4 dram and believe that is all I need for most clay targets.
The difference between a 1090 FPS and a 1250+ FPS shot from the center #4 position in skeet is no more than a four inch difference in lead which with skeet, IC, C, Light mod. etc chokes is really no difference.
I do like a hotter load for trap on a very windy day.
I say shoot light and reduce recoil and save $

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2004 10:15 am 
Presentation Grade

eorer, FPS means feet per second, the velocity of the shot. DR EQ is dram equivalent, which is an outmoded and complicated way of conveying to you the velocity of the shot. It dates back to black powder days. If you used, say, 3 drams of black powder behind a 1 ounce load, in 12 gauge, you get a certain velocity. For the same velocity in 20 gauge, drams would be different. For the same velocity with a different weight of shot, drams would be different again. I really have no idea why manufacturers continue to print the dram equivalent on their shells.