CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 6:48 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Where to buy powder?
PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:33 pm 
Tournament Grade

So what are you guys that did not stock pile your powder doing right now about buying powder? I just got the MEC jr. set up a couple of days ago and have been trying it out and figure out some recipes. I bought a small amount of of Red Dot powder to get started and have just been making a light load so far, but eventually I hope to duplicate a couple of my favorite hunting loads too. What should a guy be doing about buying powder right now? Maybe it wasn't the best time to get into reloading, but the little bit I have done so far I have enjoyed the heck out of it.

Post subject: Re: Where to buy powder?
PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:41 pm 
Crown Grade

First, I did buy powder and probably have about a 3 years' supply. Second, if I was going to use a powder for my hunting loads that was different from the powder for my target loads, I'd buy the hunting powder in small quantities. I'd then buy the target powder in as large a quantity as I could get. Of course, that's because I shoot far more target shells than hunting shells. Another questiion; what are you hunting that you can't find a load that uses Red Dot?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:41 pm 
Field Grade

Online at Recob's and Powder Valley only. Never bought powder at the local sporting clays store as their 4lbs jugs are closing in on $100 for the common shotgun powders.

I buy in bulk, usually about 32lbs at a time. Or 16lbs plus primers. The hazmat fees are ok then.

If I bought all of my powders at the local retail here, I'd be in the poor house.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:04 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

southdakotakid wrote:
So what are you guys that did not stock pile your powder doing right now about buying powder? I just got the MEC jr. set up a couple of days ago and have been trying it out and figure out some recipes. I bought a small amount of of Red Dot powder to get started and have just been making a light load so far, but eventually I hope to duplicate a couple of my favorite hunting loads too. What should a guy be doing about buying powder right now? Maybe it wasn't the best time to get into reloading, but the little bit I have done so far I have enjoyed the heck out of it.

The only sane thing is to buy in bulk. Primers by the case of 5000, wads by the case of 5000, and powder in 8 lb. jugs. It takes about 12.5 to 13 lbs. of powder to use up 5000 wads and primers, so ordering 16 lbs. of powder at the time is what's needed.

Your biggest problem today will be the shot. It's expensive to buy and usually too expensive to ship because of the heavy weight. Buying shot locally is usually best, if the price is within reason.

For Powder and Primers, go to www.recobstargetshop.com . Good people to deal with, and they will ship primers and powder in the same box, with only 1 Haz-Mat charge.

DLM

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:51 pm 
Crown Grade

In addition to Recobs I buy from Connie's Components - http://conniescomponents.com/index.html

I do most of my purchases from Connie's in person. Fine prices on lead if you are willing to buy at the dock in quantity. (In the past they have been a challenge to contact. But I have always gotten what I ordered.)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:11 pm 
Crown Grade

How far are you from Mitchell? Precision Reloading is there and they have fairly reasonable prices on 4 and 8 lb jugs.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 6:57 pm 
Tournament Grade

Mustangdriver wrote:
First, I did buy powder and probably have about a 3 years' supply. Second, if I was going to use a powder for my hunting loads that was different from the powder for my target loads, I'd buy the hunting powder in small quantities. I'd then buy the target powder in as large a quantity as I could get. Of course, that's because I shoot far more target shells than hunting shells. Another questiion; what are you hunting that you can't find a load that uses Red Dot?

I just wasn't sure if I could use the Red Dot in my hunting load or not I haven't got that far yet, but buying some type of different powder in a smaller quantity makes sense especially for a hunting load. I wasn't trying to get on anyones case about loading up on powder, I would have done the same thing too.

Thanks for all of the help all the information has been great. I am going to have to look into the Mitchell store, I am a little ways away, but I have a couple of friends that live there, that I can have them check it out for me.