CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 7:19 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Baikal MP153 --Review
PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2003 6:10 pm 
Diamond Grade

Ok for all who have ask I got to shoot my wife's Baikal MP153 so I can give an opinion now:

I shot both AA Target loads and slugs from the gun WITHOUT needing to change the gas system setup! This was a major selling point for me and the feature worked flawlessly! You can adjust the gas system manually if you want, but the manual say this is in case you want to shoot super hot loads (3.5" magnum extra hot "00"?) or super low recoil ammo (rubber slugs).

The fit and finish are very good and the gun is tight. The action finish is not smooth like normal bluing so they are using something I am not familiar with (I have only had blue and nickel). The writing on the gun (ga, s/n, chamber, ...) is set into the finish and not carved into the metal which I thought was odd, but very easy on the eyes. All in all the finish seems to be real durable and easy to clean.

The gun is a dream to disassemble and clean. You only need a hammer and punch if you want to take the trigger group out, other wise everything comes apart without tools! I had the gun stripped, cleaned, and back together faster than any auto I have ever owned (I left the trigger group in).

The standard features of this gun are:
3.5" chamber
Self adjusting gas ports
Chrome lined barrels
Cocking indicator
Decocking Button
Gold trigger
3 screw in extended chokes (no tools needed)

I would highly recommend this gun to anyone looking for a good auto. Notice I did not say an "inexpensive auto" (which it is), I like this gun enough to consider it over one of the "big boys". It has all the high end features, low cost, comfortable, self adjusting gas system .... = Great Buy!

http://www.huntingpups.com

Last edited by GordonSetter on Wed May 14, 2003 7:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Baikal MP153
PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2003 6:47 pm 
Presentation Grade

That was a very well written review. :)

I am drooling over this gun I have to find one. Well for a better price than $419 for a used one which was at gander. :roll:

Post subject: Re: Baikal MP153
PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2003 8:48 pm 
Diamond Grade

Got my wifes new with 28" bbl from http://www.cdnninvestments.com/
out of TX.

Price: $269.99
Shipping: $12.99
Transfer Fee: $30.00

Total: $312.98
You can save a bit over $100 and have new!

Post subject: Re: Baikal MP153 --Review
PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2003 11:07 am 
John 305--

If you're still looking for a MP 153 we have a new in the box black synthetic model for $345 plus shipping and handling of $25.

Contact us at usjournal@hotmail.com

USC[/quote]

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2003 12:26 pm 
Field Grade

United Sportsmen's Co. wrote:
John 305--

If you're still looking for a MP 153 we have a new in the box black synthetic model for $345 plus shipping and handling of $25.

Contact us at usjournal@hotmail.com

USC
[/quote]

Do you know if they make the MP 153 in 20 guage?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2003 1:32 pm 
Presentation Grade

Nope only 12ga 3.5" wood or synthetic, 24", 26", or 28" barrels

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2003 11:22 pm 
Utility Grade

i might get one if i get the money. but no1's hiring and i chose the nova for my dad to buy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2003 2:54 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I just bought an EAA MP-153 today from CDNN for 269.00 plus shipping to Western PA. I purchased a Beretta 391 Extrema last January from the local Gander Mountain for 967.00. The gun run’s just about all shell sizes really well although I did have problems with the safety and the mounting of Berettas supplied back gun sling post. (See Gun Opinions group started by Duck Hunter under Beretta 391 Extrema.) Anyway, I can’t wait to see how this shotgun performs for the money… Some friends and myself at our local sportsman club plan on putting this firearm through its paces in the field and the trap range. Hope it performs in the cold since the weather in PA seems to be taking a turn for the worse. I’ll get back and let everyone know what we find out about this Russian critter.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2003 7:46 pm 
Utility Grade

I also bought one from CDNN a little while back. The biggest surprise I had was that it came with 4 chokes not 3. They threw in an X-Full to go along with the IC, MOD, and Full. Out of the Box I was able to shoot 1 1/8 oz 2 3/4 field loads, and have not had any problems with the 1 1/2 oz 3.5 steel loads I use for hunting either. All I can say is I do not believe there is any other auto 3.5 gun out there that performs or is as reliable as the mp153 for the money, plain any simple.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2003 9:02 pm 
I have been shooting the MP-153 for about the last three years. It's tough, reliable, and puts the pattern where I want it. It's a great buy for about $300.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2003 3:22 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Well I received my Baikal MP-153 autolaoder from CDNN in Texas. I have had doubts about the operation of this shotgun since it only cost $269.00. The gun amazingly has not jammed one time so far. I ran ten steel 3-1/2 shells, ten 3-inch turkey loads and fifty 2-3/4 1-14oz Winchester Super-X high brass field loads at our local trap range. I have fifty more high brass rounds to try before switching over to the lighter 1-1/8 standard trap loads. I've followed the directions regarding break in and no problems so far. The gun definitely is a little heavier than the Beretta 391 Extrema or the Benelli SBE. It's in the 8-pound range of the Remington 1187 SPS, Winchester Super-X2, Browning Gold or Mossberg 935. Although heavier the balance is pretty decent for a magnum shotgun. The trigger pull is a bit sloppy but not bad for a shotgun designed for the field. The metal fit and finish on this gun are excellent for the money. The synthetic stock is incredible in design for a gun that costs less. The gun looks more like a Beretta than the other 3-1/2 autoloaders on the market. It appears Baikal took a very close look at the Beretta 391 design with its internal bolt and gas assembly. (Which is not a bad thing for a gas autoloader.) The gun came with an IC, M, and F steel ready choke tubes. They also to my surprise shipped an extra full turkey tube that is steel ready as well. It loads easily and has a better safety than the Beretta 391 Extrema. The shell cut-off and cocking indicator are really nice features and they both work very well. So far I'm impressed with this gun for the money. I'm going to pattern the gun for steel and lead sometime this week... Everyone at our gun club was kidding me about this firearm being Russian made. None would disagree with the performance of this firearm so far for the money. Some are considering buying this shotgun for waterfowl hunting or perhaps a backup shotgun. My Beretta Extrema 391 was $700.00 dollars more than the EAA, Baikal MP-153. I’m not sure it’s worth the outrageous money difference… I’ll keep everyone posted as I continue to put the Baikal through its paces.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2003 10:29 pm 
Field Grade

I have an MP153 that I have used for over a year now. It has functioned flawlessly with everything I have put through it.

The most impressive thing I have found is that it fits me. I am not a good shot with a shotgun but I can actually hit with this gun.

That makes me an extremely happy camper.

David.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2003 1:28 pm 
Diamond Grade

Win75 wrote:
I have an MP153 that I have used for over a year now. It has functioned flawlessly with everything I have put through it.

The most impressive thing I have found is that it fits me. I am not a good shot with a shotgun but I can actually hit with this gun.

David.

David,
I'm pretty much shaped like an ape. Big chest, broad shoulders and regular length arms. It's tough to find a shotgun that I can bring up and tuck into my shoulder without the stock hanging up on me. Does the Baikal have a somewhat shorter stock? Looks like I'll have to trim anything I buy off the rack...

Also, how does the Baikal's cycle speed compare to the win sx2?

Thanks,
SS

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2003 6:49 pm 
Field Grade

slowshooter wrote:
Win75 wrote:

David.

David,
I'm pretty much shaped like an ape. Big chest, broad shoulders and regular length arms. It's tough to find a shotgun that I can bring up and tuck into my shoulder without the stock hanging up on me. Does the Baikal have a somewhat shorter stock? Looks like I'll have to trim anything I buy off the rack...

Also, how does the Baikal's cycle speed compare to the win sx2?

Thanks,
SS

It sounds like you and I could be twins! This gun fits me fine and comes up well. Find one somewhere and give it a trial run. I think you will like it.

Never shot the sx2, so I don't know about the cycle speed.

David.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2004 10:35 pm 
I have my MP 153 for about a month now, a month of duck hunting. The day I recieved it it got cleaned and went to the blind. It has been put throught the paces. I have put many rounds threw it, all lengths and loads. Mine will not cylce 1 1/8oz field loads all the time, but we're getting there. anything bigger is fine. Mine did not come with 4 chokes, came with 3. I disagree with others, the finish sucks, I sneezed on mine and chipped it. I'm joking, but brush will scratch the reciver coating and removing the forearm has scratched the barrel. Don't get a wood stock though, after a week the varnish rubbed off- no joke. Baikal builds a world class firearm...if they could only finish it. :lol:

I would seriously recomend this gun for anyone, it is a wonderful buy.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2004 7:18 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I’ve owned a Synthetic Baikal MP-153 for over 2 months now. Don’t be fooled by it’s price, this gun is a shooter. It’s been on the trap line as well goose hunting in Western Pa. The gun handles & performs very well for a $289.00 firearm. Forget this shotgun if you like an easy to carry all day moving/carrying shotgun. THE GUN IS A HEAVY RUSSIAN TANK FOR A 12 GAUGE. Perfect for Waterfowl/Turkey /Magnum loads. It is also fine for recreational target/trap shooting. It would also be outstanding for the type of Dove hunting we do in PA. I’ve run over 1000 rounds of 1-1/8-trap loads through this gun so far with only one malfunction. There were no jams but the bolt didn’t stay open after a last round once. Keep in mind also that this occurred not long after I was through shooting some 100 high brass & magnum loads to break the gun in. The gun was pretty filthy and it was very cold outside. The gun has never jammed on any magnum or high brass loads since the day I got it. I had the gun out goose hunting in an ice covered frozen cornfield a couple times. Unfortunately the geese around here have not been moving or feeding when we’ve been out. The weather here in Western PA has been so cold this winter that most waterways are frozen over except for rivers and larger creeks. I haven’t had a chance to get this gun in a muddy swamp since it has been so cold. This gun cycles outstanding in single digit temperatures. I did get this gun on the pattern board and I couldn’t be more pleased. It patterns lead, Non Tox and Steel every well from everything from 2-3/4 1-1/8oz target-loads to the biggest 3-1/2 magnum candlesticks. All chokes patterned well and the extra full is going to be an outstanding for Spring Turkey. It really patterns the Remington Heavy Shot well. This gun out of the box shoots where you aim it and I like that! My friend has an all black synthetic Benelli SBE and he likes this Baikal MP-153. He can’t get over the bang for the buck with this shotgun. Most of the guys can’t believe this gun for the money in our sportsman club. An excellent automatic shot gun for the budget minded hunter. Would make an outstanding backup shotgun as well. I personally don’t know about the service record of EAA in Florida as of yet. I’ve been hearing mixed reviews from others on this forum. I’m going to use this shotgun on a ½ hour timed chukar hunt this weekend. I’ll keep everyone posted on how the gun performs as time goes buy. Can’t wait for Spring Turkey! I'm hearing rumors that these shotguns have dried up at CDNN for $269.00. Is that true? I can't imagine that you will be able to buy this firearm at this low price in the future.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 5:11 pm 
I called CDNN today to see if they still had the Baikal MP-153, but they don't and haven't reordered any at this time. Does anyone know of another good source?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 10:32 pm 
I saw a wooden MP153 at gunsamerica.com for $299.00
There is a synthetic MP153 at gunbroker.com for $319.00
You'll have to check back with these sites for shipping costs.
I'll be surprised if we ever see this gun for the CDNN $269.00 price again. Some retailers/gun shops are asking $400.00 for this gun. I've noticed many gun shops are pulling the extra full steel choke tube that ships with the MP153 this past year. They are selling it separately and I don't think this is a very honest practice. I do give CDNN credit for not opening the boxes to make a few extra bucks... I've seen this tube on auction at gunbroker.com & auctionarms.com.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 10:05 am 
Diamond Grade

I found the following to be interesting, a hell of an endorsment from an NRA publication:

" What we have here is a reliable, well-made, magnum semi-automatic shotgun that is affordably priced and fully equipped out of the box with the features many shooters desire.

The MP-153 is a good choice for hunting turkey or waterfowl and for shooters sensitive to recoil. Its rugged construction and reliability will also be significant reasons many shooters should give it serious consideration.

Article from the « American Rifleman » № 2/2001, P.60-61. (abbreviated text )
"

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 10:38 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Stupid Question of the day : Does the MP153 use the same chokes as its little brother IZH27 ? Wouldn't mind getting my hands on a Semi-auto later on down the line. Would be nice to be able to use chokes I already have :D