PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 5:04 pm 
Field Grade

What is the Model 23?

What is the quality?

Thank you.

Post subject: Re: Winchester Model 23?
PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:34 pm 
Crown Grade

The Winchester Model 23 is a SXS shotgun manufactured in Japan for Winchester.They are very nice shotguns.I have a 28 gauge Winchester Model 23 that works well.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:57 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I really loved some of the Winchesters and the Browning BSSs. In my opinion, the Winchester 23s, the Browning BSSs, and the Parker Reproductions were the last really well made production line examples of the American style of side by side shotgun. They were built a bit stronger and more robust than the typical English guns to digest the typical American loads, including the 3" shells in 12 and 20 gauges, but they still retained excellent pointing and shooting qualities. I am bigger than average, and I found they suited me and my style of shooting perfectly. I had two 23s, and a BSS Sporter is the only SxS I have kept. I just don't shoot enough to be good switching around action types any more, and I take comfort in knowing those guns are still out there. Mine were very well made, never missed a lick, and appreciated significantly in value.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 11:11 am 
Field Grade

What is a Win Model 23 28 Ga "one of 500" Golden Quail.... New in Case, unfired worth? Got one for sale...thanks

Last edited by checker on Sat Apr 17, 2010 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 12:15 pm 
Tournament Grade

Dawson's Doubles has them for sale . They generally command upwards of $5000 .

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 12:30 pm 
Field Grade

Selling Price is NOT THE QUESTION, or guns for sale currently. Got a price/listeng of this gun that has sold in last 6 months?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 4:00 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Checker, you are sounding a little demanding for someone asking others for information. Why don't you do your own research if you are that picky?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 4:01 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

In guns of that quality the selling price is the answer. You're so smart, call and make a low offer and see how fast you get ignored.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 6:49 pm 
Crown Grade

[quote="Virginian"]I really loved some of the Winchesters and the Browning BSSs. In my opinion, the Winchester 23s, the Browning BSSs, and the Parker Reproductions were the last really well made production line examples of the American style of side by side shotgun. They were built a bit stronger and more robust than the typical English guns to digest the typical American loads, including the 3" shells in 12 and 20 gauges, but they still retained excellent pointing and shooting qualities. I am bigger than average, and I found they suited me and my style of shooting perfectly. I had two 23s, and a BSS Sporter is the only SxS I have kept. I just don't shoot enough to be good switching around action types any more, and I take comfort in knowing those guns are still out there. Mine were very well made, never missed a lick, and appreciated significantly in value.[/quote]

Virginian, point on, very well put. Everything you said is right on the money.
Strat

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 9:38 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Rita, sorry we hijacked your thread. In response to your original post, the Model 23 is a Winchester SxS as 28 Gauge stated. I had one in 20 gauge and was very pleased with it. There is a guy at my gun club who has the Model 23 in all 4 of the skeet gauges and he shoots them exclusively. He has never had any problems. I think they all have beavertail forends (mine did), the engraving is nicely done, and they have screw-in chokes. Usually a good value for the money.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 7:57 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I think they quit making them about 1986. I had been trying to talk Browning into making a 28 gauge BSS, and as soon as I heard the factory was shutting down I scrambled and found a new in the box Model 23 28 gauge. When the 23s, the BSSs, and the Parkers passed, the prices started skyrocketing. What was $550 in the 1980s is pushing $6,000 now.
The Golden Quail models came with silvered receivers, straight stock, and a very slimmed down beavertail fore end, but not a splinter - better in my book. Limited to 500 in each gauge.
The Classic models came with blued receivers, pistol grip stock, and a fitted beavertail fore end, not a splinter. Also Limited to 500 in each gauge.
The Light Duck - 20 gauge - and the Heavy Duck - 12 gauge - were set up like the old Model 21 duck guns, and all them were limited to 500 guns each gauge.
In excellent condition all of the above now go for BIG bucks in my opinion. None of them came from the factory with screw in chokes.
There were quite a few Model 23 "pigeon" grade guns, that were plainer, especially in the wood, that now go for a lot less money. I think they all had the same inner workings. Some of them did come with screw in chokes as well - a positive in my mind.
I know it's heresy, but I think because of the more modern manufacturing methods that I prefer the 23s to the 21s for shooting, handling, and value in the extreme. The only SxS I have kept is my 20 gauge BSS Sporter.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 4:37 pm 
Crown Grade

Virginian wrote:
I had been trying to talk Browning into making a 28 gauge BSS

I remember writing Browning Canada suggesting that a 28 gauge Browning BSS would be a good idea.Guess you and I had the same mind set,virginian. :)

Guess they would have sold two for sure if they had made a 28 gauge Browning BSS. :)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 6:52 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

28 gauge wrote:
Virginian wrote:
I had been trying to talk Browning into making a 28 gauge BSS

I remember writing Browning Canada suggesting that a 28 gauge Browning BSS would be a good idea.Guess you and I had the same mind set,virginian. :)
Guess they would have sold two for sure if they had made a 28 gauge Browning BSS. :)

Indeed. I was crushed when they stopped making the BSSes. They were my favorites because Winchester silvered the receivers on those Golden Quails.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 3:27 am 
Limited Edition

Too many Win 23's. just ain't enough.
Virginian,
Are you sure that the Classic series was limited to 500 in each gauge/calibre ?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 5:52 am 
Field Grade

Here is a selling price...a bid now....will sell in 2 days...GB auction182976241

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 4:20 pm 
Crown Grade

I for one, don't understand the attraction to a clunky gun. Well made, but heavy and clunky and somewhat overrated. For $5-$6K ????? Man, that coin will buy a lot more.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:06 am 
Limited Edition

I'm glad not everyone likes em' as much as I do. Otherwise the prices would be thru. the roof and clean outta sight.
Besides, it takes all sorts. Imagine if all men only liked size 8 women.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:13 am 
Crown Grade

Quote:
Imagine if all men only liked size 8 women.

It sure would make buying them clothes and such a lot easier................... :mrgreen:

I also found them to be heavier then needed - much like the Savage/Fox series. For $6,000, I can get a new AyA #2 built to order

"Support our troops; we'll need them to overthrow our government"

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 8:14 am 
Field Grade

What's resell value on that custom stocked AyA #2 ? less that 50% of cost?
Looks like the NEW Win 23 28 Ga Golden Quail will sell at $4600 + Today.....GB auction182976241
Here is a Winchester 23 20 Ga Golden Quail used in like new condition on GB for $3200 with super wood..... Auction # 183639581 Great Buy at that price and they will definately hold value.....clunkers do that.....light wimpy guns are for wimpy office type guys and fat a$$ women that can't walk 2 miles in the grouse woods. Buy American Too

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 6:44 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

checker wrote:
What's resell value on that custom stocked AyA #2 ? less that 50% of cost?
Looks like the NEW Win 23 28 Ga Golden Quail will sell at $4600 + Today.....GB auction182976241
Here is a Winchester 23 20 Ga Golden Quail used in like new condition on GB for $3200 with super wood..... Auction # 183639581 Great Buy at that price and they will definately hold value.....clunkers do that.....light wimpy guns are for wimpy office type guys and fat a$$ women that can't walk 2 miles in the grouse woods. Buy American Too

Choice ! Really.
Back when there was quail hunting at Calloway Gardens, several of us went down there, and shot some skeet as a warm up. Everyone was admiring all the small O/Us and John, the manager spotted my 23 on the old round rack, and asked if he could look at it. This guy had seen more than a few guns. He looked it over and swung it a couple of times and said "Boys, now this is a quail gun. Can you shoot it?" "A little", I replied. When we were done that evening he looked at me and grinned. "Whenever I see a sweet 28 side by I figure the guy knows a more than a little about shooting Bob White." I didn't hear another peep about svelt O/Us for quite a while.