CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Sat Jul 26, 2014 12:05 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Ithaca NID 12 gauge ID, grade, and valve
PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:51 pm 
Utility Grade

I would appreciate help in grading my Ithaca NID 12 gauge double.
I believe everything is original with the exception of the butt pad.

Ithaca NID Field grade
Serial # 461505
26 inch barrels
double trigger
auto ejectors
beaver tail forearm
14 1/2" pull

I have pictures, but I am unable to attach them to this post. Can you help me

Post subject: Re: Ithaca NID 12 gauge ID, grade, and valve
PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 4:07 pm 
Crown Grade

The 2008 Standard Catalog of Firearms lists values of $ 700.- (good) to $ 1,000.- (Exc.). Check the online auctions for real life
prices paid.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:54 pm 
Utility Grade

Thanks for your input. I'm aware that under Field Grade there are Grades #1,2, and 3, and all the E grades.
Would the auto ejectors, beaver tail forearm and engraving scenes of woodcock on both sides of the receiver put this into a higher grade. The gun is in excellent condition, very tight, mirror barrels and no pitting.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:19 pm 
Crown Grade

On the left side watertable near the front there should be the gauge of your gun and the grade stamped there. From your description, it sounds like you have a Grade 2E. You can email me your pictures and I will post them -- david.noreen@comcast.net

Your terminology is off a bit. You could get an NID "field gun" in Field Grade, Grade 1, Grade 2, Grade 3, Grade 4, Grade 5, Grade 7, or Sousa Special. Extras of a recoil pad, twin ivory sights, a single selective trigger, and automatic ejectors could be ordered on any grade; and vent ribs and beavertail forearms were offered on grade 3 and higher. At some point along the way ejectors became standard on Grades 4 and above. By 1935 the Grades 1 and 3 had been dropped from the line. Also, in 1935, Ithaca added designated Skeet Guns to the NID line. A "Skeet Gun" could be in any grade from Field to Sousa Special, while by definition came with skeet chokes (S), automatic ejectors, a beavertail forearm, twin ivory sights, and a single selective trigger, with vent rib and recoil pad extra cost options. While many, many, higher grade 12-gauge NIDs were fully optioned out as "trap guns", Ithaca didn't offer an NID "trap gun" by name.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:13 am 
Crown Grade

I received the pictures of his NID from Jlegakis --

What it appears you have is a Field Grade NID Skeet Gun of 1936 vintage. However, it has had some after-market engraving added to the receiver and the breech ends of the barrels. Those birds in the engraving smack of work many GIs got done on field grade American guns during the occupation of Japan following WW-II.

The letters S stamped on each barrel flat designates skeet choke. The + on each barrel flat is the mark of Charles August who proofed the gun. The flaming bomb stamp on the left barrel flat is a U.S. Ordnance mark indicating the gun was in the possession of the government at one time. The U.S. Army Air Corps and the U.S. Navy used lots of skeet guns teaching aerial gunnery during WW-II. Neat gun!!!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:53 am 
ID & Value Expert
ID & Value Expert

This is a very unique Ithaca. Nice gun.

I agree with Researcher that the engraving looks to be of Japanese occupation origin. I once inspected a Winchester M12 Skeet that had very similar engraving that was done in 1946 and was brought home by a Navy officer.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 4:00 pm 
Utility Grade

Thank you for your help in ID of my Ithaca NID 12 gauge. With the added pictures, history, and extras identified by Researcher01, would anyone care to come up with a value of this Ithaca that would take into consideration it's condition and extra features.
John