CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 3:42 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Tula chokes
PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 3:11 pm 
Limited Edition

Are tula choked barrels still available. Are tula chokes fixed chokes or a screw in type choke. Thanks

Post subject: Re: Tula chokes
PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 3:28 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

They are fixed chokes, and only made as fixed chokes (the barrel flares out to the size of a 10ga bore or more).

I don't know if they are still made, but I haven't seen them offered on new guns for some time-- maybe a special order item. A call to Ottsville will answer that question quickly enough.

IMO, these are the best barrels Krieghoff has ever made (meaning they are the best shotgun barrels ever made!). They are unparallelled target crushers.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 3:48 pm 
Limited Edition

Thanks, I saw that halkguns has some tula barrels in their closeout section.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 12:36 am 
Utility Grade

I have to weigh in here as I just got a gun with tula chokes. The gun was given to me for repair. I hunted down the part (a firing pin), installed it, cleaned it, cleaned out the barrels and the tula chokes which were all cruded up. I took it to the range and decided to check it out by shooting a round of skeet. This is a 12 ga Rottweil Skeet Olympia '72. The barrels are 26.5 inches. Firing order is a dedicated under/over. I went 25 straight. Never fired this gun before. I was so impressed with the fit and performance, I talked my friend into an even trade for another gun I had. The gun is in great shape and I know some of the history behind this model, and much of what has been siad in this forum is true. The tula choke should be illegal, but, I'm glad it's not.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 3:39 am 
Presentation Grade

Shot with a gent a few weeks ago, he had an early Bavaria grade K80, with 28" Tula choke barrels.

Man, did that combo hit the targets hard! I don't understand the theory, but they must pattern well.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 11:26 am 
Tournament Grade

I have one for sale. A "tula" barrel that has Briley screw-in chokes. If interested call 217-847-3837.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 1:53 pm 
Presentation Grade

I remember first seeing them in the early 80's. Perazzi made some, I had a MX3 O/U 12 gauge Skeet gun that had them. Krieghoff and Rottweil made some guns with tula choked barrels as well. I don't know if I ever saw any other manufacturers offering tula choked guns. They were for 12 gauge only and the ones on my Perazzi had slits in the sides of the chokes which were like ports and the whole barrels were bowed out around the tula chokes. They got gunk in them from plastic wads and burned powder and were hard to clean. They were designed for the Olympics I think and were supposed to throw a real dense pattern at short skeet distances, no more than 20 yards. Back then the norm was to shoot 1 and 1/8 once of #9 shot for Skeet in the 12 gauge events. I don't know why they fell out of fashion.

NSCA #501815 (Life Member)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 4:20 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

P-Shooter wrote:
They got gunk in them from plastic wads and burned powder and were hard to clean.

They do gunk up more than other barrels, but a quick shot with a chamber brush attached to a cordless drill takes care of them in short order.

P-Shooter wrote:
I don't know why they fell out of fashion.

They were very hard to make properly, so I don't think manufacturers were sorry to see them go. The only complaint I've ever heard from shooters is that they are LOUD. Much louder than normal barrels.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 6:13 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Tula chokes were designed to be used with fiber/felt wads, not plastic wads w/ a shot cup.

kolarskeet@gmail.com
http://www.sminglershotgunsports.webs.com

Manufacturer of Custom Brass Barrel Weights for over/under, top single, and unsingle shotguns.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:20 am 
Crown Grade

David McMillan, Briley told me some years ago that they would install screw in chokes in Tula barrels. Do they put threads in the main part of the barrel or in the Tula end at the muzzle? I have not seen one equipped with screw ins.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:59 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Skeet_Man wrote:
Tula chokes were designed to be used with fiber/felt wads, not plastic wads w/ a shot cup.

Citation? Krieghoff didn't begin offering a Tula choke until long after the felt & fiber wads were obsolete.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:21 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

http://sherri.machighway.com/~shotgunr/ ... .php?t=550

"The theory behind the Tula/jug/Cutts is all the same. Shot goes down the barrel bore until it enters the plenum chamber. The pellets on the outside which have been scrubbed and damaged by the walls of the bore start to separate out in this plenum chamber (remember, this was built for fiber wads). The shot column then enters a choke (larger than bore diameter, but smaller than plenum chamber diameter, and the scrubbed and damaged shot is vectored back into the shot column." Bruce Buck The Technoid

This isn't the only place I've seen this mentioned, but the only one I can find presently.

Fiber wads are still widely used outside of the US (and are considered a "green" alternative to plastic wads because the biodegrade faster), and were probably even more so in the 70s and 80s when Perazzi and Krieghoff were making tula choke barrels. A european idea forced on north american shooters, and more than likely they only stopped making them when they realized no one was buying them anymore.

kolarskeet@gmail.com

Manufacturer of Custom Brass Barrel Weights for over/under, top single, and unsingle shotguns.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:27 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Discussion from here last year:
viewtopic.php?t=234935&p=1968330

From DuBob back in '08: "I think the Tula choke system was developed by the Russians to optimize the shotgun patterns with Russian ammunition for the Russian Olympic shooters. The Russian ammunition was not as sophisticated as that used by other developed nations shooters. They were still using card and felt wads in their ammunition. They did not perform as well as say Winchester, Remington, or Federal ammunition. And at the time they wouldn't be caught dead supplying a non-communist nation’s ammunition to their shooters. The Tula choke they developed worked VERY well with their ammunition but not nearly as well with modern, plastic, one piece wads used by most of the rest of the world.

I remember reading about this in the American Rifleman magazine way back in the 70's."

From TheFiringLine: "March 19, 2010, 11:41 AM
Mike, the Tula choke is a type of jug choke but it's used for a different reason. A traditional jug choke is used when wanting to add constriction. A Tula choke, with its vented chamber is sort an extension of the old Cutts compensator. Its purpose is to lengthen the shot string and prevent the deformation of shot as it enters the constricted choke area. Most of this is a moot point when using modern plastic shot cups instead of the old fiber wads.

One of my Perazzis has the old Comp I style Tula choked barrels. With modern ammo, I don't think the shot string is any different than my other P-guns, but this can't be verified with a two dimensional pattern board. However it looks very cool and it may shoot a little softer, with less barrel rise because of the Tula venting."

kolarskeet@gmail.com

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:30 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Written here by Jugchoke back in 07: The Russian Tula chokes, a glorified and enlarged jugchoke, were designed to work with fiber wads, and let plenty of "blow by", fly by!"

Google "tula choke wad" or "tula choke fiber" and you'll see more support.

kolarskeet@gmail.com

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 6:33 pm 
Tournament Grade

lowgun, the threads are on the end of the barrel, just like a normal Briley choke. They are somwhat heavier and thicker because of the flair of the barrel.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:33 pm 
Crown Grade

Thanks, David. I have not seen a Briley choked Tula barrel and did not send my Tula barrel to them after inquiring about them. By the way, the Krieghoff Tula barrels were originally intended for the "International Skeet" model K gun. For a time, a Tula barrel was supplied by Krieghoff as the 12 gauge barrel of the four barrel set for those that preferred it. When the era of the tube came upon us, the Tula barrels lost favor because of the questions about tubing the Tula barrel. The Tula barrel in International Skeet remained popular well into the K-80 era because tubing was not a question to be answered. In fact, in the eighties and nineties, maybe even later, European International loads were still loaded with fiber wads. My Tula barrels seem to handle plastic wads just fine, breaking birds with more authority than the missing choke constriction would indicate.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 3:20 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Broken down to simplistic forms, there are 3 main sections to either a jug, or Tula choke.

Section one: Normal barrel ID, forcing cone to where the choke actually starts. (Or one could say, we are starting with a standard dimension, cylinder bore barrel here)

Section two: Jugchoke, larger ID, determined by whatever is necessary to obtain the desired final degree of choke .

Section two: Tula choke, similar to, (possibly even larger than), the above jugchoke dimension.

Section three: Jugchoke, (normally), back to original barrel ID again. Simple "jug" only.

Section three: Tula choke, somewhat, (and I believe always), larger than normal, (original), barrel ID. Basically, just less constriction, "coming out" of the jug.

And of course, the lengths of sections two and three, may vary as well.

NRA Benefactor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:19 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

lowgun wrote:
When the era of the tube came upon us, the Tula barrels lost favor because of the questions about tubing the Tula barrel.

There are no issues in tubing a Tula barrel. Mine sports a set of Briley's.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:40 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Are your tubes made to the end of the barrels, or to the beginning of the tula choke? I've never seen a set of tula barrels that were made to the end of the barrels.

kolarskeet@gmail.com

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:57 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

They are made to the start of the choke... so they are about 25 inches long, and they work more than adequately.