CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:50 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: What are pros/cons of striker fire system?
PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 10:58 am 
Diamond Grade

The Walther P99 (and S&W SW99) use a hammerless "striker" firing system. I can see some advantages such as not having an external hammer to snag on clothing and such, but are there any disadvantages?

Does the striker system wear out or ever have trouble firing a round?

I guess I just don't understand these enough. I'm assuming it is some sort of spring loaded firing pin that is released to hit the primer when the trigger is pulled. Is that accurate?

Post subject: Re: What are pros/cons of striker fire system?
PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 11:31 am 
Tournament Grade

That's pretty accurate. The striker works by a spring and there is a firing pin at the end of it. It just strikes the primer with a straight-forward shot to the primer. Simple design. Extremely reliable. Glocks are striker fired pistols, and they are some of the most reliable and rugged pistols ever made. A Glock is not a true Double Action (Glock use a proprietary action they call the "Safe Action", but the Walthers do make the P99 as double/single's and Double-Only). The Walther P99's and the S+W SW99's, (both the same gun), are pistols made with the Glock in mind, recognizing the success of the striker fired Glocks. However, the Glock has the edge is proven reliability and is in use in PD's across the country. The 99's however are a fantastic pistol as well. The striker is a nice reliable, simple system that is easy to work on. Most every part is user replaceable. Hammer fired pistols have their place too, and you can find many with no exposed hammer to snag. The striker is just a different design, but a good one.

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 11:37 am 
Tournament Grade

As an addendum to my last response, I would add that the lifespan of a striker fired gun is fantastic, but it's the gun moreso than the fact that the gun is striker fired. The Glocks go on and on and on seemingly forever, and will fire in sand, water, wet, you name it. The 99's are probably somewhat similar but I don't have the experience with them to say for sure. As for the striker wearing out? Not really that I have ever heard of. These systems work with little to no lubrication and this is the way they are designed to run. Adding too much lube to a striker fired Glock will take away from it's life, not add to it. They are almost boringly long lived.

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 11:56 am 
Diamond Grade

Well, in addition to being boringly long-lived, the Glocks are also homely in looks. They are just the most unattractive guns I have seen. I have both catalogs (Glock, Walther) sitting next to me and I just can't get excited about any of the Glocks. I really want to buy one of the Walthers. I know it sounds silly to choose a gun for looks over function, but in my opinion they all function well, so the next criteria is looks and that's where the Walther has the edge. I don't think I'm going to ever wear out any gun in my lifetime.

Thanks for answering my question. I didn't know if maybe the spring for the striker had to be replaced at a certain interval. At my current rate of shooting, it wouldn't be a problem.

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 12:21 pm 
Tournament Grade

If you're into the looks, then yeah you're right the Walther is much less homely than the Glocks. I like the looks of the Walthers as well. The Glock is the better defensive weapon in terms of reliability and longevity and ruggedness, but if your intent for the gun is for the range primarily, then the Walther would be fantastic. I love the Walther's, don't get me wrong. But your original question was about the striker fired system specifically and its pluses and minuses, and in answering that I couldn't go without using the best, most proven example of a striker fired weapon, which is the Glock. You will love the P99 for sure.