CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 5:35 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: pattern boards
PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 3:36 pm 
Tournament Grade

hi all,
is 1/8'' thick steel plate enough for patterning birdshot? heavy enough for what size shot
bob noffs

Post subject: Re: pattern boards
PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:10 pm 
Presentation Grade

How do you plan to pattern? Most of us shoot at paper so we can count the pellets, etc. If you shoot at a steel plate, do you plan to use paint,etc.? The lead BB's will bounce off the steel. I'd recommend a wood frame that you could attach paper to.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:24 pm 
Tournament Grade

i plan to pattern shot size 4-8 and loads from 7/8 oz to 1 1/4 oz. i probably would use paper if i could find it wide enough i didnt have to tape. i planned to use spray paint. while i am thinking of it i have read reference to a program you can use with a dig. camera and no more counting pellets. anyone used one? the online or stand alone version? i have had no luck downloading the online version.
bob noffs

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:37 pm 
Tournament Grade

We use a 4' X 4' x 1/8" plate with two legs welded on the edges with a center dot welded to the middle. We mounted an old tool box with a hinged cover on the back and filled with white lithium base grease and a paint roller. We have used this from 90 degrees to -30 for pattern and POI. remember no steel loads. We have never had any pellets fly back and use a digital camra to capture your patterns. Fast, easy and no mess either.

Best of luck

Grinder