CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 1:09 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: EXERCISES FOR SKEET?
PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:03 am 
Limited Edition

What if any exercises do you do to help improve stamina. (Curley, lifting a 32oz. beer glass doesn't qualify as exercise) I usually do curls with about a 5lb weight for my left arm which supports the gun and some back exercise to help with fatigue in my lower back. It seems to help.

Post subject: Re: EXERCISES FOR SKEET?
PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 7:02 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Here is good article with pix.
Not that I do any of that but...

[url]
http://bendershima.com/?cat=13[/url]

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:41 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I am a believer in practicing the gun mount. Consistency in the mount is very important, whether the shooter is pre-mounting the gun or shooting from a low gun position.

The goal is to place the butt in exactly the same place on the shoulder pocket at the end of each mount. The importance of this is most easily recognized when the seasons and the type and amount of clothing worn change.

The mount includes the cheek's position on the comb. The gun should come to the cheek, not the other way around. If the cheek needs to be lowered more than very-little to make contact with the comb, something is wrong. It could be the mechanics of your gun mount or the gun doesn't fit you.

Your head and neck should be in a natural and upright posture. As the gun is being mounted, it is best kept level or slightly inclined and brought back to the shoulder along the cheek. This is true for both pre-mount and low gun shooting disciplines.

Practicing twenty mounts every day for a couple of weeks will do wonders for gun-mount consistency. Why is consistency so important? Because it promotes the eye being and staying in the same place relative to the rib every time you shoot, both at the end of the mount and during swings to targets. When the eye moves relative to the rib during a swing, the pattern (the gun's POI) also changes.

Very little head movement during a swing coupled with a slightly imperfect sight picture can easily result in a lost target.

Author: Stock Fitter's Bible, Second Edition - Gun-fitting & shooting instruction for shooters of all ages and disciplines. http://www.amazon.com in their book section.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:57 am 
Crown Grade

My unscientific survey would indicate crunches are not high on the priority list. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:04 am 
Crown Grade

Forget about the "for skeet" part! Exercise because it will improve the overall quality of your life....in all areas of your life. It just makes you feel better. Motion is lotion for the body.

I'm a big believer. About 3 years ago I had 2 heart attacks....they were caused by a blocked pipe. I survived because the heart muscle was in good shape due to the time I spent in the gym. 3 years later, just back from my yearly stress test, there are no signs of damage and I maxed out the tread mill test plus an extra 4 minutes at level 5. Please don't take this to mean I am some super trained, buff specimen. Frankly, I am older fat guy who could stand to lose 20 pounds! I can do it because I do it all the time. I do it because it makes me feel better, I sleep better, I breathe better.

You can buy all the shotguns you can afford, trash them and throw them away. You can't buy a new body...take very good care of the one you have.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:07 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Rollin do you do this in front of a mirror or anywhere? :D

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:15 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Eiderz and I subscribe to the right handed single-arm beer curl LOL

Dude, all over functional exercises would be good...you use legs, core, and shoulders extensively in shooting skeet.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:22 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Buckshot Bob,

Practicing mounts in front of a mirror in the beginning would be a good idea. Once you get the basics down, you can practice anywhere after you affirm the gun is empty.

It is best to wear the same clothing as is worn when you shoot. (You can add challenge to perfecting your gun mount if you practice naked and covered with olive oil but it can adversely affect the learning curve. The challenge serves no useful purpose and also tends to cause observers to point and laugh.)

Things that can adversely affects consistent mounts include loose shirts and/or a shooting vest that doesn't fit well in the shoulder area. Both can bunch-up when the trigger-hand elbow is raised, which makes consistent mounts difficult.

Poorly fitting vests and loose shirts can also allow the butt plate or recoil pad to slide on the shoulder during swings. This is even more likely when the gun is arm-swung to angled targets rather than swung using rotation of the upper body at the waist and hips, powered by the legs.

When the recoil pad moves on the shoulder. the position of the eye relative to the rib is likely to change (as will the gun's POI).

If the gun is mounted and it doesn't feel quite right, don't wiggle it into place. Dismount it and start over. The ten seconds lost will be well worth the short delay.

Consistent mounts are more important than many realize. Quite a few lost targets are caused by sloppy gun mounts because shooters have no idea what's happening to their eye/rib alignment during swings, (another reason to avoid arm-swinging the gun).

Author: Stock Fitter's Bible, Second Edition - Gun-fitting & shooting instruction for shooters of all ages and disciplines. http://www.amazon.com in their book section.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:35 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

From time to time I do some workouts with light weights. Here are some of my favorites which I usually do.

Lateral Raises
Curls
Overhead Press
Shallow Knee Bends
Shoulder/Arm raises to armpit with weights
Bending a Bullworker (??? may not be correct name) or some similar device which is a long (28") spring with handles on each end. Bend it 15-20 times by using mainly chest and wrist/forearm muscles.

Last edited by Ulysses on Wed Mar 03, 2010 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:40 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

If you do sit-ups with straight knees, you are strengthening the Psoas or Iliopsoas, as much or more than the abdominals. To really isolate the abs, your knees need to be bent.

Humans have been running through the woods for thousands of years chasing down their dinner. So many of the people I see in clinic would not be there IMO, if they had even a light workout program they were committed to. And most who start exercising and upgrading their diet, find drastic improvements they were not even expecting.

Some researchers are now indicating plaquing of arteries may not be related to cholesterol levels at all, but rather, is a reaction to inflammation in the arteries brought on by lack of certain minerals at the cellular level, and enhanced by food sensitivities.

Our food has become a problem. The corn lobby is extremely strong, and has changed the nature of the food we eat. Most of our sweeteners now are corn based instead of sugar based, and the beef is now corn feed rather than grazed on grass. When you throw in the hormones, antibiotics and processing, it seems to have come to a point where if it comes in a can or box, if it's processed, it's not good for you. In my opinion, it's become very difficult to eat food that will not lead to problems later in life.

Jim

Thank you Lord for making me a dog lover.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 7:57 pm 
Crown Grade

seacilian wrote:
What if any exercises do you do to help improve stamina. (Curley, lifting a 32oz. beer glass doesn't qualify as exercise) I usually do curls with about a 5lb weight for my left arm which supports the gun and some back exercise to help with fatigue in my lower back. It seems to help.

I'm afraid curls aren't going to help you much. They work the biceps which serve to rotate the lower arm into the upper arm. Were I you, short of a full body work out, I'd concentrate on my shoulders and triceps (the backs of the arms.) But the best is a light, full body workout about two to three times a week. It will do wonders for your stamina, recoil attenuation and, believe it or not, your eyesight and total awareness.

Frank

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 5:23 am 
Diamond Grade

To help increase stamina for shooting skeet:

1) Use just a shovel to till your garden, no power tiller.
2) Use a push mower on your yard, no riding mower.
3) Personally hand wash your vehicles, every week, and hand wax them, monthly.
4) Hand wash the exterior of your home's windows.

My wife could add to the list.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 6:02 am 
Presentation Grade

Zac Crawford wrote:
To help increase stamina for shooting skeet:

1) Use just a shovel to till your garden, no power tiller.
2) Use a push mower on your yard, no riding mower.
3) Personally hand wash your vehicles, every week, and hand wax them, monthly.
4) Hand wash the exterior of your home's windows.

My wife could add to the list.

Are you sure if my wife does all this, it will help my stamina?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 8:44 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Hmmm what if you don't have a wife????
Can I borrow Zacks?
What if you don't like beer??
Skeet is FULL of questions!

Used to be K80 katie

Facebook: Kate Marsden West Midlands

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 8:56 pm 
Limited Edition

kateskeet wrote:
Hmmm what if you don't have a wife????
Can I borrow Zacks?
What if you don't like beer??
Skeet is FULL of questions!

Kate I'm sure you can find a substitute for beer and the wife.

Remington Sporting 410
Beretta Silver Fox SS 20

Marty Patterson

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:49 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Not any that I can post on here tho Texbow ;)
I think after all those exercises you'd be ready for bed not 4 rounds of skeet!
Bullworker???? Didn't those springy things go out with flares in the 70's? It's all low resistence these days.....tho a bullworker would be good for those moobs ;)

Used to be K80 katie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:05 pm 
Tournament Grade

Kate, I can see the infomercial now..."Buy our new and improved Bullworker and have Moobs of steel in 30 days " 8) :lol:

Dan

Dan Hathaway

NSSA,OSSA, Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:39 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Oh dear..... looks like the moobs are back ...moobs are the new boobs... :wink:

Used to be K80 katie