CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:21 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: trap thrower battery
PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:33 pm 
Tournament Grade

Hust bought a Do All White Wing thrower, seems to work real good. I need some suggestions on what battery to buy, I know it needs to be a deep cycle battery, anybody have ideas on brand or size?

1 - Savage Model 12BVSS .223
1 - Remington Model 1100 G3 20 Ga.
1 - Springfield/Savage Model 5100 16 Ga. SXS
1 - Beretta 686 White Onyx 20 Ga.
1 - H & R 410 Single Shot
1 - Springfield Armory XDM .45
1 - Colt 1911 Commander

Post subject: Re: trap thrower battery
PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:28 pm 
Crown Grade

I went to my local marine store and bought a marine battery. Next time I'm in the garage I'll look at it and get its ratings, but I told the guy what I wanted it for and he sold me this and it's lasted 4 years.

Remember, tho, even tho it has caps that make it look like it's sealed, it's n ot - I didn't keep the fluid level up and it hasn't the oomph it had. I also got a plastic battery box so that if it leaked at all it wouldn't ruin the inside of my van. I think the box is worth it - it also has handles.

It's SxS, DT splinter/English for me!
Shotguns speak in many voices and fortunate are those of us who hear more than one.
May God bless our Union.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:48 pm 
Tournament Grade

I do a bunch of marine stuff. People have good and bad
experiences with various brands. You need to go "Deep Cycle."
David

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 5:05 pm 
Crown Grade

I went and looked. The brand is "Mega-Tron" and it's an "RV and Marine Deep-cycle"

I don't see the amp-hr rating but I didn't take it all the way out of the battery box.

bn12gg is correct - you should have "deep-cycle". They use these batteries for electric trolling motors, RVs and stuff like that - heavy draw for long time.

It's SxS, DT splinter/English for me!
Shotguns speak in many voices and fortunate are those of us who hear more than one.
May God bless our Union.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:25 pm 
Field Grade

Get a good 27 series deep cycle battery from Trojan, Interstate, Exide, etc. Make sure it has at least 1000mca MARINE CRANKING AMPS.
They work very weill.......but if it gets very cold, under 10 degrees...........take it inside. They do not like cold weather. Do not buy a AGM or Gel battery. They do not work that well, especially if you have to recharge very often. I own a Marine service facility, and work at a local Sporting clay facility. I get all their batteries for them. If you want model numbers, just email me and I will give them to you.............Interstate it is srm27 and I think Trojan it is Em27, but not sure without checking

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:53 am 
ID & Value Expert
ID & Value Expert

I like Interstates. They last me about 4 years in both my duck boats and my R/V. Put them on a good battery maintainer when not using them.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:26 am 
Utility Grade

Get the cheapest large maintenance-free regular car battery you can find.

You want high amp-hours, which is total power. CCA is not a concern, because the trap won't use anywhere close to that number of amps. Deep cycle means it can be drained lower more before wearing out. AGMs and gel cells can be tilted, otherwise they must stay upright.

If you don't regularly use it, any lead acid will self discharge and die, deep cycle or not. Float charging is slightly better, but not ideal. All of mine die after 3 years on a float charger. Just buy the cheapest you can find and replace it when necessary.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:49 am 
Utility Grade

Not to add to the confusion, but the amp requirements of the trap thrower is small. As has been mentioned, get a Deep-Cycle battery, but get one with as much Reserve Capacity as possible. Reserve Capacity, (RC) is a rating that defines a battery's ability(in minutes) to operate at 80 degrees F, and a discharge rate of 25 amps and maintain a voltage of 10.5 volts for a 12 volt battery. The higher the reserve rating, the longer the thrower will operate without being recharged.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:02 am 
Tournament Grade

Get a deep cycle Marine trolling motor battery

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:11 pm 
Crown Grade

Another vote for the deep-cycle marine battery - add a solar trickle charger to it to keep it fully charged

"Support our troops; we'll need them to overthrow our government"

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 7:19 pm 
Diamond Grade

i don't know anything about batteries. but a quick search revealed that you can easily spend anywhere from $70 to $300 on the more popular brands/models. i'd be curious to know how many targets a cheap battery will throw on a single charge vs. a more expensive battery. interesting post. good luck with it

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:10 pm 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

Our club has 5 Pro-Matic Traps that operate on 12VDC. We use the regular car battery & have each one of them hooked to a solar panel. Works great! They are over 4 years old now & still going strong.

Endowment Life Member NRA, NRA Certified Firearms Instructor (Rifle,Shotgun,Handgun), Georgia Hunter Safety Instructor, Boy Scout Merit Badge Counselor (Rifle,Shotgun). MOTTO: "Molding Young Minds Is The Future" & "I'm The NRA"

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:03 pm 
Crown Grade

Like dovehunter's club, I use standard car batteries. I don't even use new ones but instead take the cst offs from my personal vehicle for this use. In northern Minnesota the winters take their toll on car batteries and need to be changed out sooner than in warmer climes. A 5 year old, 1000 CCA battery from my truck, hooked to a small solar charger in the summer, has lasted 6 years on my one Atlas with the other Atlas and a Promatic rabbbit thrower using similar 5 year old batteries for the last 4 years. I keep the batteries on a shelf and off the ground when storing them and top them off once a month through the winter to help maximize their life. I toss a few thousand clays a year so the batteries get a bit of a work out. A neighbor borrowed the one trap and ended up using a motorcycle battery to run the trap as he did not feel like making the mile long round trip to get one of mine. It worked for the weekend. I personally would go cheap to begin with as the demands are not all that great.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 8:38 am 
Tournament Grade

Thanks for all the help and suggestions. I have a good battery out of my truck. I will try it today and see how long it lasts, if not long enough I will go get a rv/marine type. {hs#

1 - Savage Model 12BVSS .223
1 - Remington Model 1100 G3 20 Ga.
1 - Springfield/Savage Model 5100 16 Ga. SXS
1 - Beretta 686 White Onyx 20 Ga.
1 - H & R 410 Single Shot
1 - Springfield Armory XDM .45
1 - Colt 1911 Commander

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 11:36 am 
Tournament Grade

Before I retired, we had a number of solar powered street lights and builiding lights. The engineers initially designed them to have 12 volt batteries in paralell. The first had 2, but they wouldn't last all night during the winter. The second 3, 12 volt batteries in paralell, they did better but didn't last all night in the winter either. We changed to 6 volt golf cart batteries in paralell. The two 6 volt batteries last longer than 3, 12 volt batteries with the same load and charging capacity, and I think we got better life from the 6 volt batteries as well, but can't prove that.

So, if you have access to them and need the longer service interval, go with 6 volt batteries wired in series to get 12 volts from them...

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 9:18 pm 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

G3Bob wrote:
Thanks for all the help and suggestions. I have a good battery out of my truck. I will try it today and see how long it lasts, if not long enough I will go get a rv/marine type. {hs#

Per the Pro-Matic manual, the Ranger model will get 5,000 launchings from a 75amp/hour battery.

Endowment Life Member NRA, NRA Certified Firearms Instructor (Rifle,Shotgun,Handgun), Georgia Hunter Safety Instructor, Boy Scout Merit Badge Counselor (Rifle,Shotgun). MOTTO: "Molding Young Minds Is The Future" & "I'm The NRA"