CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:14 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Tactical 2-point sling on stock Mossberg 590?
PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 4:11 pm 
Utility Grade

I'm wondering if any company makes tactical 2-point slings compatible with the vertical sling attachment points that come factory-installed on the Mossberg 590, or is it necessary to purchase swivel mounts that attach to the side of the barrel and stock? I've been eying the Blue Force Gear Vickers Combat Applications Sling, but it looks like it only attaches to side sling mounts.

If tactical slings only attach to side sling mounts, why is that so? What are the advantages to mounting a sling on the side of the shotgun versus mounting beneath it?

Thanks for the help! I'm new to shooting, and I've learned a lot already just by lurking on this site.

Post subject: Re: Tactical 2-point sling on stock Mossberg 590?
PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:38 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I'm sure you could mount the vickers vertically if you wish, however you then loose all the advantages of a tactical style sling. Tactical slings are designed to go arround the body while you shoot for 2 reasons.
#1 To keep the gun from being taken from you in the event of a gun grab.
#2 So if your gun malfunctions or runs dry you can transition to a sidearm and not leave your primary laying on the ground without taking time to sling up.

If you don't want to mount your sling on the side, I would suggest just getting a simple carry strap, but it's your gun and your money so do what you want.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:39 pm 
Utility Grade

Well, I went ahead and got a 2-point tactical sling (this Specter Gear sling) and I'll attach it using the side mount plate it comes with. I still can't visualize why attaching to the side versus the bottom of the gun makes any difference, but I guess I'll have to try it out for myself.

Any advantage to attaching to the receiver with a mount like this versus attaching to the stock? How about attaching to the magazine tube cap instead of using a side plate? Is it just a matter of personal preference?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 9:00 pm 
Crown Grade

If your intent is to use the shotgun as a home defense piece, there is a forum in this board title Tactical/HD that might serve you well. In fact it is very rare that I poke my head out of that area to see what else exists in the world.

As to your questions, mounting the sling on the side of the firearm helps keep in in place when you transition. The bottom sling mounts are designed to be used with simple carry straps. By mounting the sling to the side of the weapon the sling in more in line with the bore axis and will help keep the weapon flat against your chest should you need to transition to your secondary firearm.

The location of the rear sling point: this is largly personal prefrence comibined with the mission of the system. Mounting the sling to the side of the stock closer to your shoulder is going to give you more tension in the sling and provide for a closer fit to your body when you don't have it slung. However in doing this it is very likely that you will have to duck out of your sling in order to transition to your weak side. A receiver mount sling point, being farther away from your shoulder, will make transitions from strong side to weak side a little easier depending on how you have you sling adjusted. It will also keep your shotgun a little higher when you have the adjustable sling cinched up and the shotgun at your chest.

There was a thread not too long ago in the Tactical/HD section discussing various sling attachment points. Good choice the Vickers. It's quality piece of hardware.

-alt

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:36 pm 
Utility Grade

Thanks, that's exactly what I needed to know. I've been lurking in the "basement," but thought my question was a bit too basic to post there.

Maybe I'll pick up a receiver mount sling loop at some point and see how it feels. At this point, though, I don't have much experience firing from my weak side. Need to work on that....

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:42 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

HybridVigor wrote:
Thanks, that's exactly what I needed to know. I've been lurking in the "basement," but thought my question was a bit too basic to post there.

Maybe I'll pick up a receiver mount sling loop at some point and see how it feels. At this point, though, I don't have much experience firing from my weak side. Need to work on that....

We all have to walk before we run. Even the most basic questions are welcome in the basement.