CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:54 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: American Gun Co New York
PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:14 pm 
Utility Grade

Any idea of the value of this shotgun? American Gun Co New York Double Barrel Side by Side. SN 114476. Been in the family for decades.

Post subject: Re: American Gun Co New York
PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:22 pm 
Diamond Grade

Here you go viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4482

Put your trust in God; but mind to keep your powder dry! Oliver Cromwell

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:01 pm 
Crown Grade

You gave us the bare minimum to identify your gun. First there is no listing for an American Gun Company New York. There are listings for American Gun Company OF New York and American Gun Company of NY. No problem though because all of them are "Trade Brand Names" shotguns.A "Trade Brand Name" shotgun is one made by a major maker for and sold by a wholesaler or retailer who chose the name to go on the gun. In this case all the names were used on shotguns made by the Crescent Fire Arms Company of Norwich,CT (1892 to 1931) for and were sold by the H & D Folsome Company of New York City, a lage wholesale and retail sporting goods dealer. Incidentally Folsome owned Crescent and what ever Folsome wanted, Crescent made and what they wanted was a lot of inexpensive (read cheap) shotguns fast. Also you did not say whether the gun has outside hammers or is hammerless. Crescent used the same serial numbers for both. If the gun has outside hammers it was made in 1904 and if it is hammerless it was made in 1908.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 12:02 am 
Crown Grade

Is it a hammer gun or a hammerless gun?

Here is the American Gun Co. hammer double from H&D Folsom's Catalogue No. 18, which is from around 1920 --

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 2:48 pm 
Crown Grade

Researcher has posted a very good picture of a Crescent double barrel hammer type. Crescent made thousands if not millions of double barrels both outside hammers and hammerless. Records from Crescent are hard to find. Most are reported t have been destroyed in scrap paper drives during World War II. I have a listing of serial numbers, types of gun and year made in my reference book. I can't vouch for its accuracy but it's all I have. According to m reference, Crescent made two series of hammerless doubles and two of hammer type. The first series of hammerless are identified as not being New Empire models and the second are identified as being New Empire models. The non New Empire models were made from 1904 to 1920 with serial number range from 001 to 448001 while the New Empire models were made from 1920 to 1935. The hammer types are identified as just a hammer double except for not being a Model 44 while the second is identified as being a Model 44 which was made in 28 gauge and .410 bore. The plain hammer double was made from 1896 to 1932 in serial number range of 001 thru 630,001. The Model 44 was made from 1914 to 1932 in serial number range of 001 through 36.00

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 6:21 pm 
Crown Grade

Here are the other H&D Folsom Arms Co. entry-level doubles from Catalogue No. 18, the basic hammerless double was called the No. 6 Knickerbocker --

By H&D Folsom Catalogue No. 23 they had changed from using the American Gun Co. name to using Crescent name and the No. 6 had become the Peerless (The Old Knickerbocker Improved) --

The first appearance of the "New Empire" name I find is in H&D Folsom Arms Co. catalogue No. 31 which is dated 1929-30 --

H&D Folsom sold their gun factory in Norwich to Savage in 1930 and Savage combined it with their recently acquired Davis-Warner Arms Co., as the Crescent-Davis Arms Corp. and Crescent-Davis was offering a line Crescent and a line of Davis guns by January 1931.

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 7:48 am 
Utility Grade

there might not be a listing for "american gun company new york" but i gurantee that there is at least one shot gun with that printed on the left side! 12 ga. single barrel out side hammer w/s#302808-victor ejector.i have it ,i posted about it earlierplease read it i would be glad for any feed back. thanks

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 4:49 pm 
Crown Grade

I looked in my reference book (researched be me over thirty five years) and found the following names. They are all capitalized and abbreviated as marked on the guns. AMERICAN GUN CO., AMERICAN GUN COMPANY, AMERICAN GUN CO OF NEW YORK and
AMERICAN GUN CO. OF N.Y. All these names were used by Crescent Fire Arms Company of Norwich.MA (1892 to 1931) on shotguns made for and sold by the Supplee Biddle Hardware Company of Philadelphia,PA, Sears & Roebuck Company of Chicago. IL and the H & D Folsome Company of New York City. Incidentally Folsome owned Crescent and whatever Folsome wanted Crescent made. And what they wanted was a lot of inexpensive (cheap) shotguns fast.