CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:38 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Charles Daly O/U??
PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 11:36 am 
Utility Grade

Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2010 4:01 pm
Posts: 3
Just found a Charles Daly at a gun shop, I like the look of it and the weight for carrying it in the field. I am a pheasant hunter and looking to get an O/U. Any opinions on quality and reliability of a Charles Daly? Sorry I can't remember the model number. Any recommendation on guns to look for? This will be my first O/U and I am looking to spend $1000 or less for my first gun?? Any help would be appreciated.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Charles Daly O/U??
PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 12:46 pm 
Tournament Grade

Joined: Fri Jun 09, 2006 8:05 pm
Posts: 245
Location: Illinois
The Charles Daly name has been used by several differant importers for years, You will need to post more information for any real answers. If it is a Charles Daly/ Miroku, It is a good gun, These where made in the 60's and 70's. If it is a newer model, I don't know.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Charles Daly O/U??
PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 2:31 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:52 pm
Posts: 604
Location: Miami
Charles Daly went out of buisness last month or so. The Mirokus they imported are the older version of the current Citoris sold by Browning, good gun but they are obsolete and parts are now scarce. C.D. also imported guns from Italy and Turkey.The Italian guns are hit and miss , mostly good but avoid the Turkish guns.CDNN still carries the Marocchi made NRA Diamond II & III for $499.00 & $549.00. They also carry other makes you can fit into your budget including my favorite the Lanber line of O/U's.CDNN is an online operation with a great reputation so download their catalog and take a look.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Charles Daly O/U??
PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 3:32 pm 
Presentation Grade

Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2010 2:33 pm
Posts: 736
hivoltage wrote:
The Charles Daly name has been used by several differant importers for years, You will need to post more information for any real answers. If it is a Charles Daly/ Miroku, It is a good gun, These where made in the 60's and 70's. If it is a newer model, I don't know.


I've got the Miroku Charles Daily Ventura grade gun in 20 gauge. I've owned it for 35 years. Except for details in the engraving, it looks like a Citorie . Has wonderful dark figured wood and is light as a feather. It cracked at the wrist, but a gunsmith glued it together and it hasn't recracked, but I can see where it cracked. It shoots very nice, and never fails.

I'm thinking of having removable chokes installed.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Charles Daly O/U??
PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 6:10 pm 
Presentation Grade

Joined: Mon Jan 19, 2009 4:09 pm
Posts: 556
i just looked a mirouku charles daly this weekend and liked the fit. but it didn't fit me like any citori that i have handled. did daly use a different stock that browning?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Charles Daly O/U??
PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:23 am 
Presentation Grade

Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2010 2:33 pm
Posts: 736
marquette wrote:
i just looked a mirouku charles daly this weekend and liked the fit. but it didn't fit me like any citori that i have handled. did daly use a different stock that browning?


I've looked over the sights of a Citorie, but I've never held it and then held one of my Miroku's. They look alike, but they may have a different feel. I don't know.

Since both guns were made by Miroku I'd think they have the stock shape, but I don't know for sure.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Charles Daly O/U??
PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:52 pm 
Reloading Expert
Reloading Expert
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 24, 2003 3:31 pm
Posts: 15813
Location: Kearney NE
GM makes both Chevrolet and Buick too, but are they the same?

Miroku quit making Dalys in about '76 I think it was? May be off on that date a bit, maybe '69? I haven't deemed it to be priority information in some time. Browning bought into Miroku at that time and the result was waving bye-bye to Daly and hello Browning.

The Daly is not just an early Browning and the Browning is not just an updated Daly or Miroku. Yes, they are somewhat similar, but not the same thing.

In my opinion they are equal in quality grade for grade.

Today the relationship with Browning and Miroku is pretty cozy. Guns are even the same with a few cosmetic differences. Miroku is restricted from marketing their nameplate guns in North America, just part of the deal.

At one time the Daly name was on some of the finest efforts of the gun makers art. Not been that way in quite a while and probably never will be again.

Is a Daly a good gun? Let's define Daly.

BP

_________________
A wife and a steady job have ruined many'a good biker!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Charles Daly O/U??
PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:51 pm 
Presentation Grade

Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2010 2:33 pm
Posts: 736
Burnt Powder wrote:
GM makes both Chevrolet and Buick too, but are they the same?

Miroku quit making Dalys in about '76 I think it was? May be off on that date a bit, maybe '69? I haven't deemed it to be priority information in some time. Browning bought into Miroku at that time and the result was waving bye-bye to Daly and hello Browning.

The Daly is not just an early Browning and the Browning is not just an updated Daly or Miroku. Yes, they are somewhat similar, but not the same thing.

In my opinion they are equal in quality grade for grade.

Today the relationship with Browning and Miroku is pretty cozy. Guns are even the same with a few cosmetic differences. Miroku is restricted from marketing their nameplate guns in North America, just part of the deal.

At one time the Daly name was on some of the finest efforts of the gun makers art. Not been that way in quite a while and probably never will be again.

Is a Daly a good gun? Let's define Daly.

BP


I bought my Daly Miroku in 1973. It was on super sale. Cost was $175. Guns, however; were a lot cheaper then. My Winchester Garand cost $243.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Charles Daly O/U??
PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 2:59 pm 
Reloading Expert
Reloading Expert
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 24, 2003 3:31 pm
Posts: 15813
Location: Kearney NE
Logjam,

Yup, back in '64 a field grade Model 12 Winchester had a list price of $109.15 too and they could be bought most anywhere for less than $100. A-5 Browning Twelve Light was about $170 and a Super' could be had for arround $300, on up! Gas was .29 and a new Chrysler New Yorker or a Corvette could be bought for $5,000 too. Super-X or Remington Nitro express shells were $3.75 a box, .22 LR HP were .77 a box. .410 shells didn't cost any more than 12 or 20 ga. A hamburger, fries, and a chocolate malt was less than a buck, and that was a real hamburger and fries too!

Of course if you had a job paying $2.50 and hour you were on easy street too.

Aha yes, what a time in history.

BP

_________________
A wife and a steady job have ruined many'a good biker!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Charles Daly O/U??
PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:25 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:52 pm
Posts: 604
Location: Miami
At one time the Daly name was on some of the finest efforts of the gun makers art. Not been that way in quite a while and probably never will be again.

Is a Daly a good gun? Let's define Daly.

BP[/quote]

When I was 10 my dad bought me a CD Miroku sxs 20ga. to replace the Win mod 37 single that was abusing me.He would only let me shoot breakopen guns because he believed them safer than autos & pumps. His friends couldn't believe he bought such a nice gun for a kid. Fast forward 40 years ,I am at the range and spot a fellow shooting a sxs that is a dead ringer for my old C.D. I walk up to the fellow and say "hey you know I had a C.D. sxs just like that when I was a kid. This fellow got red faced and said
" this isn't a #!@*%@!%&* Charles Daly .It's a Browning. I just stood there stunned as he stormed off, threw the gun in his car and drove off. Just shows how their reputation plummeted.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Charles Daly O/U??
PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:42 am 
Diamond Grade
User avatar

Joined: Fri Sep 12, 2008 9:22 am
Posts: 1610
Location: Bay Area, California
Jaspo01 wrote:
At one time the Daly name was on some of the finest efforts of the gun makers art. Not been that way in quite a while and probably never will be again.

Is a Daly a good gun? Let's define Daly.

BP


When I was 10 my dad bought me a CD Miroku sxs 20ga. to replace the Win mod 37 single that was abusing me.He would only let me shoot breakopen guns because he believed them safer than autos & pumps. His friends couldn't believe he bought such a nice gun for a kid. Fast forward 40 years ,I am at the range and spot a fellow shooting a sxs that is a dead ringer for my old C.D. I walk up to the fellow and say "hey you know I had a C.D. sxs just like that when I was a kid. This fellow got red faced and said
" this isn't a #!@*%@!%&* Charles Daly .It's a Browning. I just stood there stunned as he stormed off, threw the gun in his car and drove off. Just shows how their reputation plummeted.[/quote]

Maybe shows something about CD, but mostly it says something about the idiot you were talking to.

_________________
"The fact that an opinion has been widely held is no evidence that it is not utterly absurd; indeed in view of the silliness of the majority of mankind, a widespread belief is more often likely to be foolish than sensible."

Bertrand Russell


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Charles Daly O/U??
PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 12:45 am 
Presentation Grade

Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2010 2:33 pm
Posts: 736
beammeupscotty wrote:
Jaspo01 wrote:
At one time the Daly name was on some of the finest efforts of the gun makers art. Not been that way in quite a while and probably never will be again.

Is a Daly a good gun? Let's define Daly.

BP


When I was 10 my dad bought me a CD Miroku sxs 20ga. to replace the Win mod 37 single that was abusing me.He would only let me shoot breakopen guns because he believed them safer than autos & pumps. His friends couldn't believe he bought such a nice gun for a kid. Fast forward 40 years ,I am at the range and spot a fellow shooting a sxs that is a dead ringer for my old C.D. I walk up to the fellow and say "hey you know I had a C.D. sxs just like that when I was a kid. This fellow got red faced and said
" this isn't a #!@*%@!%&* Charles Daly .It's a Browning. I just stood there stunned as he stormed off, threw the gun in his car and drove off. Just shows how their reputation plummeted.


Maybe shows something about CD, but mostly it says something about the idiot you were talking to.[/quote]

That guy needs to take a pill.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Charles Daly O/U??
PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 6:55 pm 
Limited Edition

Joined: Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:20 am
Posts: 402
wils0579 wrote:
Just found a Charles Daly at a gun shop, I like the look of it and the weight for carrying it in the field. I am a pheasant hunter and looking to get an O/U. Any opinions on quality and reliability of a Charles Daly? Sorry I can't remember the model number. Any recommendation on guns to look for? This will be my first O/U and I am looking to spend $1000 or less for my first gun?? Any help would be appreciated.
The only reliable contemporary Daly is a Miroku. Good quality. But, light enough for an all day carry on a pheasant hunt? I don't think so...... at least not for me. Mike

_________________
"Everyone wants peace - and they will fight the most terrible wars to get it." - Miles Kington


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Charles Daly O/U??
PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 7:17 pm 
Presentation Grade

Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2010 2:33 pm
Posts: 736
Rebel Sympathy wrote:
wils0579 wrote:
Just found a Charles Daly at a gun shop, I like the look of it and the weight for carrying it in the field. I am a pheasant hunter and looking to get an O/U. Any opinions on quality and reliability of a Charles Daly? Sorry I can't remember the model number. Any recommendation on guns to look for? This will be my first O/U and I am looking to spend $1000 or less for my first gun?? Any help would be appreciated.
The only reliable contemporary Daly is a Miroku. Good quality. But, light enough for an all day carry on a pheasant hunt? I don't think so...... at least not for me. Mike


My little 20 Miroku Daly is very light, but my 12 is pretty heavy. Not as heavy as a Superposed, which is looks like, but still pretty heavy.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Registered users: BGK, big pattern, BigDaddyWestmoreland, Bing [Bot], btomlin, Butch257, CapHillSkt, Captbake, cbjfan75, Cerberus, cheecho1960, cjam96, claybuster 1, CLuttrell, dbuffington, dixiesetter, dolphin717, Drew Hause, Flyguytki, Ga. Skeet, Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], Google Feedfetcher, HogRider357, hopper810, Hoppyumr, Island Shooter, jamese2841, jharrington, Jim Flynn, jtwtucson47, kgwolo, krimmie, kyskeet, la angler, lt0026, maltzahn, Obe-Wan, oldbirdhntr, oldtechshooter, P-Shooter, PeterN2, potts507, pulllit, quacker, Rebel Sympathy, rickeroo, Ron123, s cobb, seadog1, Shootingfool, Sikiguya, Skeet Shot, SteelerNation, Syreel, thestumper, Thiss, tnmac, tonyclark, Vette Jockey, VTHokiesDuckHunter, wayntxsporting, Wing_Shoot, WSC, Yahoo [Bot]


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group     -  DMCA Notice